I Love Living Over an ABANDONDED Mine I Really DO.

ironeagle2006

Boy I love my house but I hate the Property it sits on. This morning woke up to take the Mutt out to do his thing and could not open the Front door. Got it open and looked the Freaking thing is twisted in the Jamb and pulled out from the Wall a Good Inch at the Bottom. So I take the dog out sinche is sitting there with his Eyes floating looking at me. Then while outside I see Cracks in my Yard Opening up in front of me small in width say 1/2 an inch but LONG about 6 inches long. Take a stick that is about a foot long and the Freaking thing goes all the way to the BOTTOM without hitting a thing.
So I take a few Pics get the wife kids and I to the Insurance agent and get this She DOES NOT want me to File a Claim on it saying it does not look bad. BS Walls are Cracking Siding has buckled I can not open windows now and I have had 2 Celings collaspe and she is telling me it is not bad.

S

siptang

She's out of her freaking mind. Claim it, that's what insurance is there for. I honestly don't think your property is safe to live in if this continues...

travelerjp98

Wow, over an abandoned mine?? That's insane.
definitely file a claim before the house collapses in the ground and then have the ground fall through. Wait, maybe then your insurance agent will think its something serious??!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You live on top of a mine?? Now that is very interesting. What's the story behind that? Is it active?

travelerjp98

You live on top of a mine??  Now that is very interesting.  What's the story behind that?  Is it active?
Lol.. beth...look at the title... its abandoned.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Oops. That is creepy-ish. Did you know you were on top of a mine when you moved in?

ironeagle2006

Did some moving some weeds and Grass the First crack is about 10 Feet long now and goes towards a Second Crack that will swallow a 4 foot long rod that is 1/2 inch in Diameter I am so screwed. 3 hours ago it was maybe 1 foot long. I hope I have a house in the morning. Wish me luck/.

S

siptang

Dude... do not sleep in the house for the night... I'm afraid that someone will get hurt... God forbid.

S

siptang

Building on a mine is not the issue but the structure is not safe and I'm baffled that passed the safety inspection when they built the house.

mantisman51

If the ground is separating and the house is out of square, there is some bad stuff happening under you. If a shaft has caved in, you might be in the news as "the house that got swallowed" soon. Mines are generally safe to build on. All of Tombstone here is built over mine shafts. But if they cave in, anything over them is going to drop the same distance. If it were me, I'd get a geological engineer out there stat. Best of luck.

2quills

Have you purchased mine subsidence insurance? If not then your home owners insurance probably won't cover you anyway. Kinda like building your home next to a cliff and then your house slides down the hill. They just tell you that you should have known better.

ironeagle2006

Yes I have every needed insurance type you think you would need covered if mine collaspes from either on its own or via an earthquake. Maxed out my replacement value on this place and contents. But when you have an agent that hates to file a claim at all she even denied claims for tornado victims a couple years ago. She failed as a teacher and sucks as an insurance agent but is better than the other person for State Farm here in town.

2quills

That sucks, man. I hate feeling like I don't have options. Sounds like you're just going to have to fight her on this.

darthtang aw

There is a bright side.....you would go from a regular house to a bunker with minimal construction costs.
Darth (zombie proof) Tang

reefraff

Your agent really has no say in claims. Just call your insurance co and file it. Your house already sounds like a total loss. Once the foundation is compromised that's pretty much it. I knew someone who had an old air shaft on his property. He turned that into a cell pool LOL! If they ever open the ol mine up they are in for a surprise.

geridoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/392548/i-love-living-over-an-abandonded-mine-i-really-do#post_3486528
Your agent really has no say in claims. Just call your insurance co and file it. Your house already sounds like a total loss. Once the foundation is compromised that's pretty much it. I knew someone who had an old air shaft on his property. He turned that into a cell pool LOL! If they ever open the ol mine up they are in for a surprise.
reef is right - the agent has no say in claims other than small issues that they can pay from a small pool of $$$. Otherwise, your agent just forwards your claim to the company, who then will process it. Or you can file directly - take a look at your company's web site, there is probably a claim page there.