I Love Living Over an ABANDONDED Mine I Really DO.

reefraff

Yea tho I sleep through the sound of beams creaking I shall fear no structural failure for thy studs and joists are with me.
I hope they just total the house for you. If the slab is compromised even stabilizing the ground isn't going to keep things intact.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriDoc http:///t/392548/i-love-living-over-an-abandonded-mine-i-really-do/20#post_3486857
Last year I had an issue with State Farm when my car was totaled, and they lost my title forms, delaying payment for months. I finally wrote to the president of State Farm, and got a prompt call from a "vice-president", who fixed things in 24 hours. Maybe you should go straight to the top, too!
That is why I like GEICO. You see the assessor within a few days, and for smaller claims you get paid on the spot. For totals, just a 10 day or so wait.
Ironeagle, what is the ins company's logic behind making you stay in the house??

ironeagle2006

It is NOT the Company making me Stay IT IS THE GOVERMENT that took over the claim the second I claimed it was Mine Subsitance. See here in IL and especially around where I live the area is so UNDERMINED they set up a STATE RUN FUND to handle all claims for Mine Claims. Lets just say I became one of the People that is Dreading hearing I AM FROM THE GOVERMENT AND I AM HERE TO HELP YOU.

ironeagle2006

Stats say that there is only a .2% chance that it will collapse into the Mine. However based on the damage I am seeing I think mine is going to be one of those .2%ers

flower

I just read thru the thread....

Illinois is the __________ (fill in the blank) state in all of America to insist a family actually stay in a house where the windows are twisting because of a mine shaft. I hope you and your family are okay this morning. I would camp outside if it were me, and when the claims agent got there I would toss all the sleeping bags in the trunk of the car and pretend we were sleeping in the house just like they said.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I still don't see what the logic is in forcing someone to stay in a dangerous house. That certainly isn't a requirement for hurricane damaged homes, or fire damaged homes, or tornado damaged homes.

darthtang aw

I still don't see what the logic is in forcing someone to stay in a dangerous house. That certainly isn't a requirement for hurricane damaged homes, or fire damaged homes, or tornado damaged homes.
Those claims aren't handled by government.

ironeagle2006

I agree but with certain cites like where I live begining over 99% Undermined if the owner of the house could Just Claim Mine Subsistance and Be allowed to move out Without any Investigation at all the Fund that is Managed by the State but Paid for by the Insurance Compaines and the Coal Mines would be Bankrupted in less time than you can shake a Stick at it. Yes IT SUCKS for the Homeowners but the Regulations and RULES are the RULES. Tornados Fires and Hurricanes do not last YEARS like a Mine Collapse can so what choice do I have. I can not afford to move unless the Mortage is Paid off and I get Replacement Value. So I am Stuck.

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006 http:///t/392548/i-love-living-over-an-abandonded-mine-i-really-do/40#post_3487342
I agree but with certain cites like where I live begining over 99% Undermined if the owner of the house could Just Claim Mine Subsistance and Be allowed to move out Without any Investigation at all the Fund that is Managed by the State but Paid for by the Insurance Compaines and the Coal Mines would be Bankrupted in less time than you can shake a Stick at it. Yes IT SUCKS for the Homeowners but the Regulations and RULES are the RULES. Tornados Fires and Hurricanes do not last YEARS like a Mine Collapse can so what choice do I have. I can not afford to move unless the Mortage is Paid off and I get Replacement Value. So I am Stuck.
But it sounds like you are saying that even if you go spend a few nights in a hotel while the investigation is being done that your claim can be denied? What happens if your house collapses overnight during that time?

ironeagle2006

DZ if that happens and the House is Destroyed then my Homeowners Insurance company would take over according to everything I have read and allow me to Move and replace all my Belogings that are in the house. Luckily the Shifting has Slowed slightly and here in IL the odds of the State not declaring it Mine is about ZERO if you live over a mine to prevent Lawsuits.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I read up some info on the Internet, and particularly, the ins. website. I don't think they can prohibit you from deciding to stay in a hotel, or with family, friends, etc., but they can decide that they are not going to pay for a hotel, etc., if the damage is not assessed to be dangerous.
Imagine if the co. said you can't leave your house. They would be in for some major lawsuits on so many fronts.

snakeblitz33

I would go ahead and inventory everything in your house and take picture of everything. I mean everything. Document it all. And keep that information stored in a safety deposit box. I would also make copies of all your insurance paperwork etc etc.

ironeagle2006

Trust me Everything I own is Documented down to the last DVD I own and it is on a Flash Drive kept in a Safe Deposit Box at my Credit Union. As for Staying at relatives that is out for 2 reasons 1 is my SIL can not stand KIDS or pets and my Parents are in Long Term Care and only my mother can have Guests but only one or 2 at a time for a max of 2 nights and she reserves them for the Grandkids. I do have one friend that would let me stay but she has 4 kids of her own at home and she does not need my family adding the stress to their situation right now.

ironeagle2006

Neighbors and I went over the yards with each other looking for Damage yesterday. One of them is a Former General Contractor that Knows his stuff the other is a Fanatic about his Lawn. Neither is Happy about the Situation right now. We found Cracks in their Driveways and Sidewalks Soft Spots in their Yards and dips also. Then the Kicker in my Yard a lift and Crack in the Foundation in the back area of the house and a crack in the roof.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006 http:///t/392548/i-love-living-over-an-abandonded-mine-i-really-do/40#post_3487598
Neighbors and I went over the yards with each other looking for Damage yesterday. One of them is a Former General Contractor that Knows his stuff the other is a Fanatic about his Lawn. Neither is Happy about the Situation right now. We found Cracks in their Driveways and Sidewalks Soft Spots in their Yards and dips also. Then the Kicker in my Yard a lift and Crack in the Foundation in the back area of the house and a crack in the roof.
The roof??? I would be sleeping in the car for sure.