I might have cooked my corals and my carpenters wrasse now has pop eye :(

kilofey

The temp outside was about 105 yesterday, I came home and my tank was 85.5!! Either my heater is bad or it was just too hot in my house, or a combination. I bought a new heater today just in case because I had neglected to look at my temp for about a week.
My frogspawn didnt look happy and neither did a few others like my monti cap and kenya tree. They are looking better, but im still worried about them because they dont look right still. My carpenters wrasse now has popeye. I believe its from the temperature increase because my water quality looks good and no one picks on him. Im not sure how to treat him because theres no way I can get him out with over 100 lbs or lr in a 75 gal tank. I tried for about 15 min, then he got smart and decided to go hide till I vacated the tank.
Do you think my corals will survive and how do I treat my wrasse inside the tank and with what? Will he die from pop eye?

snakeblitz33

Sorry for your troubles. I have no clue how to treat popeye, let alone inside a reef tank. I hope you can get some help.

meowzer

You can't treat the fish in the DT.......you have to put it in a hospital tank and treat it with Maracyn Two for SW

meowzer

It depends....he can lose the eye....it really depends on the cause....if it's aggression then he will continue to be attacked.....if it is an illness....he can get worse
You can try to feed it food enriched with vitamins.....But ......the only real cure is treatment

btldreef

Most of the time they can survive but will loose the eye. My bullet banded sleeper goby lived for years with one eye. To this day, I don't know what caused his pop eye, but I could not catch him in time to treat and he ended up loosing the eye.

kilofey

Well, I cant immagine it feeling good (regardless of what people say, im convinced fish can feel pain).... anyway, Ill try catching him here & there, hes very quick though.
Btw, my temp seems to be under control :) yay! No more cooked corals

J

jesusb

Try catching him at night when he won't expect it.
But if you can't catch him I'm sure he will be alright since like you said, no one picks on him.
He will loose the eye and live as long as no one bothers him.

btldreef

If you can't catch him:
Offer extra vitamins in food and try feeding shaved salmon. Salmon can be fattening, but it's also full of good stuff to help a sick fish.
I really think that my goby did well because I fed extremely well when he had the pop eye and while his socket was healing after he lost his eye.
You should try to catch him and treat him if you can, but sometimes that's much, much easier said than done.

stdreb27

I seriously doubt 85 got your fish, unless there was a very rapid temperature swing.
You may want to reconsider having a heater at all.

kilofey

I seriously doubt 85 got your fish, unless there was a very rapid temperature swing.
You may want to reconsider having a heater at all.
Well I know my heater was bad because it stays much more consistant now that I have a new one. It was always kinda sketchy. I think when the thermostat finally broke, it probably did rise pretty quickly because my corals and the wrasse looked bad at relatively the same time. All my tests looked good, no one picks on him except an occasional clown nip, but hes not a total jerk. So I dunno, the temp is the only thing I can find out of the norm. You really think no heater would be a good thing? Ive never done it, so it freaks me out a bit. Do you think the night time temp drops would be a bad thing?

kilofey

If you can't catch him:
Offer extra vitamins in food and try feeding shaved salmon. Salmon can be fattening, but it's also full of good stuff to help a sick fish.
I really think that my goby did well because I fed extremely well when he had the pop eye and while his socket was healing after he lost his eye.
You should try to catch him and treat him if you can, but sometimes that's much, much easier said than done.
Where can I find shaved salmon? Ive seen it for cats, but I assume thats not what im looking for... Ive seen a brand that lists salmon as the only ingredient though... So maybe it would be okay?

btldreef

I actually buy a small salmon steak, freeze it and grate it through a cheese grater on the finest grate.

btldreef

You really should try to get it to him sooner than later.
My fish market sells individual servings. I pick up one, freeze it, grate it and put it in a sandwich bag, flatten it out into a thin sheet and freeze it. Then I just break off tiny parts of the sheet to feed daily.

kilofey

You really should try to get it to him sooner than later.
My fish market sells individual servings. I pick up one, freeze it, grate it and put it in a sandwich bag, flatten it out into a thin sheet and freeze it. Then I just break off tiny parts of the sheet to feed daily.Ok, thanks. We need to go shopping anyway, we are on the "crackers and water diet" right now because we have no food lol. (grocery shopping is a pet peeve of mine hehe). Ill put it on the shopping list!