I need a super bowl snack that will impress a girl...

jtt

Originally Posted by shogun323
http:///forum/post/2932532
Exactly. Remember when going above and beyond that you are setting expectations.

Im ok with that. I hold myself to incredibly high expectations.
since the day i met her (and her diabetic sister) i have held doors open for them, opened car doors for them, given up my seat for them, etc. chivalry isnt dead. i think thats one of the things she liked about me, was that i was incredibly respectful, and i want to be that old man that when he is 60 he still opens the car door for his wife.

scotts

I personally would bake something and then also stop off and pick up a sugar free pie or some other sugar free dessert at a supermarket. Pull out the one you made and give it to her, then pull out the store bought one and tell her "just in case the one I made sucks" guaranteed laugh.

joe____17

Originally Posted by JTT
http:///forum/post/2932612
since the day i met her (and her diabetic sister) i have held doors open for them, opened car doors for them, given up my seat for them, etc. chivalry isnt dead. i think thats one of the things she liked about me, was that i was incredibly respectful, and i want to be that old man that when he is 60 he still opens the car door for his wife.
I open doors and stuff for my gf too. I agree with you. It's nice to do stuff for them and make them appreciated

shogun323

Originally Posted by JTT
http:///forum/post/2932612
I'm not saying to not be chivalrous. (SP?) There is a difference between being chivalrous and setting the bar too high. For example, when I started dating my now wife, I got her jewelry on her birthday. By giving a lavish gift I created a standard. From that moment on each gift had to be as good or better.

jdl

Originally Posted by Mimzy
http:///forum/post/2932429
2nd, diabetics CANNOT HAVE ALCOHOL.
so, no jello shots.
they cant? why not?
first of all, stay away from any diabetic websites. You want to make her something to eat, not throw up.
second, most of these people who posted have no clue about what a diabetic can and cannot eat. If she has an insulin pump, they can eat..... are you ready for this. ANYTHING.
third, sugar is in almost any food. This is why making something for a diabetic is a big myth. Banana's? 26.9g of carbs. What does that mean? she can eat a Hershey candy bar and get less sugar then from eating a banana. Meat, 0 carbs....but the protein/fat will turn into sugar about 5 hours later.
fourth, i would bring cheese, crackers, and grapes. This is a sexy snack, and if the diabetic sister wants less carbs, she can just eat the cheese. But the combination of GOOD cheese, GOOD grapes, and GOOD crackers is awesome. To show you care about the sister, get a carb count for a serving. Ask her some questions such as if she sees an endocronologist, what was her last A1C?

[hr]
edit: i read more about the food. even if there is a cheese and fruit platter, they will most likely only have basic cheese (muenster, colby jack, cheddar)... get some good cheese asagio, some bree... goto a high end grocery store and ask the guy in the cheese section to hook you up.

joe____17

Originally Posted by JDL
http:///forum/post/2932644
they cant? why not?
first of all, stay away from any diabetic websites. You want to make her something to eat, not throw up.
second, most of these people who posted have no clue about what a diabetic can and cannot eat. If she has an insulin pump, they can eat..... are you ready for this. ANYTHING.
third, sugar is in almost any food. This is why making something for a diabetic is a big myth. Banana's? 26.9g of carbs. What does that mean? she can eat a Hershey candy bar and get less sugar then from eating a banana. Meat, 0 carbs....but the protein/fat will turn into sugar about 5 hours later.
fourth, i would bring cheese, crackers, and grapes. This is a sexy snack, and if the diabetic sister wants less carbs, she can just eat the cheese. But the combination of GOOD cheese, GOOD grapes, and GOOD crackers is awesome. To show you care about the sister, get a carb count for a serving. Ask her some questions such as if she sees an endocronologist, what was her last A1C?

[hr]
edit: i read more about the food. even if there is a cheese and fruit platter, they will most likely only have basic cheese (muenster, colby jack, cheddar)... get some good cheese asagio, some bree... goto a high end grocery store and ask the guy in the cheese section to hook you up.

I agree, diabetic people can have alchohal but of course in moderation.

darthtang aw

Buy a fondu kit, pick up some cheese, and walla, a cool thing to bring, safe for a diabetic, and everyone loves fondu.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by JDL
http:///forum/post/2932644
Besides a few references to sugar...
Only one person initially stated they can't have alcohol, and this was elaborated on, and we really didn't delve into the diet of a diabetic...so whatchoo talkin' bout willis?? Second, though they may be able to eat just about anything, I think our point was that some things are extremely taxing on their health...not that they could not do this or that.

coral keeper

Come on everyone! She said make something not buy something from the store. Stop trying to talk him into buying something instead of making something. lol Also, I like what Scotts said. Make something AND buy something just in case. Here is what Scotts said: "I personally would bake something and then also stop off and pick up a sugar free pie or some other sugar free dessert at a supermarket. Pull out the one you made and give it to her, then pull out the store bought one and tell her "just in case the one I made sucks" guaranteed laugh."

jdl

Originally Posted by usirchchris
http:///forum/post/2932736
Besides a few references to sugar...
Only one person initially stated they can't have alcohol, and this was elaborated on, and we really didn't delve into the diet of a diabetic...so whatchoo talkin' bout willis?? Second, though they may be able to eat just about anything I think our point was that some things are extremely taxing on their health...not that they could not do this or that.
that's just it. There isnt a diabetic diet. Sure they should have a set calorie intake, but other then that, nothing special.
Nothing is taxing on their health compared to people without diabetice, which is my point.
my other point was unless you are serving cardboard, it will eventually turn into sugar anyway.

jdl

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2932744
"I personally would bake something and then also stop off and pick up a sugar free pie or some other sugar free dessert at a supermarket. Pull out the one you made and give it to her, then pull out the store bought one and tell her "just in case the one I made sucks"
there is no such thing as a sugar free pie, please dont do this and insult her sister.

bionicarm

My wife has one of these 'fountains' that she puts melted chocolate in, and the chocolate continually flows like a waterfall. Buy you one of those, get some type of 'sugar free' chocalate. Serve with fresh strawberries that can be put into the 'chocolate flow'. Everytime we've used ours at a party, people love it.

jdl

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/2932880
My wife has one of these 'fountains' that she puts melted chocolate in, and the chocolate continually flows like a waterfall. Buy you one of those, get some type of 'sugar free' chocalate. Serve with fresh strawberries that can be put into the 'chocolate flow'. Everytime we've used ours at a party, people love it.

sugar fee chocolate nutrion info:
Serving Size 1 bar (16 g)

Amount Per Serving %DV *
Total Calories 80
Calories from Fat 35
Total Fat 4 g 6%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g 8%
Sodium 40 mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate 10 g
3%
Sugars 8 g
Protein 1 g
Amount Per Serving %DV *
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 0%
now a real chocolate bar
Serving Size 5 pieces (43 g)

Amount Per Serving %DV *
Total Calories 210
Calories from Fat 110
Total Fat 13 g 20%
Saturated Fat 7 g 35%
Cholesterol 5 mg 2%
Sodium 50 mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate 25 g 8%

Dietary Fiber 2 g 8%
Sugars 22 g
Protein 3 g 6%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 4%
Iron 4%

[hr]
as you can see the 16g 'sugar free' bar has 10g carbs. While 5 of the normal bars have 25g carbs. Do the math, sugar free has MORE sugar then normal chocolate bars.
so while one would think 'sugar free' is helping, it is causing more harm and tastes like a litter box. Be educated. Going in blind trying to show her that you know all about 'sugar free' will be your death.
goodluck.

demartini

Originally Posted by JDL
http:///forum/post/2932895

sugar fee chocolate nutrion info:
Serving Size 1 bar (16 g)

Amount Per Serving %DV *
Total Calories 80
Calories from Fat 35
Total Fat 4 g 6%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g 8%
Sodium 40 mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate 10 g
3%
Sugars 8 g
Protein 1 g
Amount Per Serving %DV *
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 0%
now a real chocolate bar
Serving Size 5 pieces (43 g)

Amount Per Serving %DV *
Total Calories 210
Calories from Fat 110
Total Fat 13 g 20%
Saturated Fat 7 g 35%
Cholesterol 5 mg 2%
Sodium 50 mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate 25 g 8%

Dietary Fiber 2 g 8%
Sugars 22 g
Protein 3 g 6%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 4%
Iron 4%

[hr]
as you can see the 16g 'sugar free' bar has 10g carbs. While 5 of the normal bars have 25g carbs. Do the math, sugar free has MORE sugar then normal chocolate bars.
so while one would think 'sugar free' is helping, it is causing more harm and tastes like a litter box. Be educated. Going in blind trying to show her that you know all about 'sugar free' will be your death.
goodluck.
actually they add sugar alcohols to the carb count.... sugar alcohols are sugar substitutes....

demartini

Originally Posted by JDL
http:///forum/post/2932938
not sure i understand what you just said?
You're saying that a sugar free candy bar has more sugar than an actual candy bar which is wrong. You're basing the sugar content off carb counts. Companies add sugar Alcohols like malatol or Splenda in place of actual sugar. They still have to add the sugar alcohols to the carb count, but unlike real sugar, sugar alcohols don't cause an insulin spike...therefore they are ok for diabetics. How do you think companies that specialize in diabetic candy sweeten their products?