I will make SWF.com mad at me for this one!

sh2000

Let me say scott has helped me resolved a few issues I had nothing serious with contacting swf they were not getting my emails and he helped fwd my messages to them..so thank you ! as far as the new ticket system it's a big improvement.

B

bonita69

Calm down you two.
Our point was made other wise SWF would not have chimed in. They said the thread was well needed and this will help them better fit our needs. Read what the reply was again you can see that. We are all kinda venting here so don't let it get out of hand that will solve nothing. I am just glad they ARE letting us post what we wish from them. They could have just locked the thread from the get go, did they? NO if they did would you still come back to the message boards, YES of course we would!! We ALL have an addiction problem

I think maybe we should just start posting within this thread of what you would like to see stocked here.
I will start
Salt "RED SEA CORAL PRO" I use this brand "Reef cystals" a lot of you use this brand.
Cheato or micro agleas LIKE SWF HOME GROWN!! Have your own grow tanks just for that stuff. That way we know it comes from one QUALITY tank and not some Joe Smows tank with illnesses or very bad coral eating pain in the butt critters!

lexluethar

Can I make a suggestion to breakup the items list so that 700+ items don't have to load on one screen. Although I have a fast internet connection it still takes a while (a few seconds but still). I think that the site would be better served (IMHO) if you broke this down so that each fish type would have their own page.
Just an idea, i've heard some others complain about how long it takes to load, and I believe it is because of the amount of info being loaded. And realistically when SWF expands and continues to add to these lists they will continue to take longer and longer to load.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Crashbandicoot
http:///forum/post/2485596
I'm sure that my lfs does not have 204 kinds of fish avalible even counting the fresh water . So basicaly what I am saying is yes there is a lot the offer that isnt avalibel but they still offer more than the LFS .

That's an often overlooked point; Thank you.
Admin is currently making changes that will expand the business.
Now, I don't have any "inside information" so don't read anything into what I'm saying. Just look at the recent changes:
*Huge Photo contest with thousands of dollars fo prices given away
*Completely overhauled and vastly improved forums (You all don't get to see all of the sweet changes, but trust me it was a huge improvement).
*They have been testing a "Live Support" feature on the webpage (it was on last week)
in addition to a new customer supprt tracking system: https://www.saltwaterfish.com/support/
I don't know how big SWF is, but they've been around for a while (The sweet web address alone is probably worth a small fortune at this point).
Bonita, thanks for the premise behind the thread. I'll make sure, if the thread remains constructive, that Admin keeps up on it. That said, the rules are the rules. As Mods we will continue to uphold the rules to the forums. Just because something is not in stock does allow anyone to post a link to somewhere that has it in stock. That will never change.
Let's keep this thread positive and constructive. As Crash pointed out, SWF has a huge selection; many of the livestock items are seasonal or rare. The opportunity is there to get on the email wishlist. No reason to get upset just because those items aren't in stock.
As for dry goods, what are you looking for? What types and what brands? Info like that would be beneficial.
Frozen foods is really not practical. Do you want to pay overnight shipping for fish food?
So, just a gentle reminder; Keep it contructive, don't complain about the rules, and be patient.

B

bonita69

our even a page just for suggested beginner corals, and reef/coral safe fish/inverts
good one
nice suggestion! It does take awhile to load

snipe

I do totally agree with some of these posts. I agree on the min order amount. Just recently I ordered fish from here. 1 fish was DOA in the bag (with no water what so ever in the bag) 1 other was in hardly any water and was DOA before it was even done acclimating. a Dwarf Lion was DOA in the bag of water.
Alright they yes gave me my money back on the DOA items. Alright but threw the night I lost yet another fish and a cuke. Alright these items since not DOA the only thing I can do is send them back and get credit on my next order. So I have $30 of credit that I HAVE to spend here. But I have to spend another $49 just to get what the fish I already bought then pay another $20 for shipping. So to get the fish I already bought once I have to give them another $70 for livestock I dont need. Guess I will have credit for SWF for a very long time.
I would love to see things changed but I dont see it happening.
Why I started using a LFS. He is a great guy and can overnight anything I want to my door for like $10. On top of that fish that SWF charges like $50 or $60 for he is like $20. I recently seen a huge picasso trigger he had for sale a buet of a fish he wanted $24 for it it was around 7" or so (that is huge considering alot of fish pet stores sell are tiny baby fish). Other pet stores I have seen Blue hippo tangs for as high as $90 he has them for $25. I recently purchesed a massive Bubble Tip anemone around 10" across $34.
Prices are just not worth it for me to order online anymore and after shipping like that from SWF I dont think I have any reason to in the future. Even after that I even offered them help and adivce on how to handle this and they didnt really seem like they cared the least bit.

moonie

I personally dealt with Karen on the phone lst week. We had several calls back and forth and she was pleasant and EXTREMELY helpful. I will ONLY buy no livestock from this site. Yes they may hide a phone number only to use it for special purposes. But when they do contact you you can EXPECT AMAZING SERVICE. Thanks Karen and SWF

snipe

oh one thing I would love to see is a description for each and every livestock item posted and more into details on spefics these things need like lighting and flow and food they eat reef compat or not. Some things say absolutly nothing about the animal itself just a pic and a price tag. I hate that.

paintballer768

Great thread. I do not think SWF should sacrifice their quality to have a better selection. If I were them, I would try to get a great variety of things when they become available to the overseas collectors. I personally have not ordered from here, but plan on doing so in the near future, if the items Im looking for come in. Ive compared with other sites just as everybody else here has, and SWF has great prices, but they all have growout systems. Notice how many ORA pieces are usually in stock.
This makes me think that I really think it would be in SWF's best interest to get a good growout system setup, so that better and more rare frags could be supplied more constantly, and that we know that it has come from a good source. It doesnt need to be huge, just take some kinds of the most popular corals (lets say via what has the most additions to wish lists) and grow them out to meet the demand. Then SWF could make more money in the long run by avoiding any suppliers and just grow it themselves, and keep the extra profit. Im not saying lower prices, but I think that it would be a smart financial move in my opinion.

1journeyman

Regarding my above post, hehe..
Always a bummer to pst, then realize there is a second page to the thread where the Boss already posted

Anyway, kee
p the positive suggestions coming.

hefner413

Originally Posted by Snipe
http:///forum/post/2487006
So I have $30 of credit that I HAVE to spend here. But I have to spend another $49 just to get what the fish I already bought then pay another $20 for shipping. So to get the fish I already bought once I have to give them another $70 for livestock I dont need. Guess I will have credit for SWF for a very long time..
The $30 credit actually will not count toward your minimum, so you'll have to spend another $79 in addition to the $30 credit, plus the $20 s/h.
Originally Posted by Snipe

http:///forum/post/2487006
Why I started using a LFS. He is a great guy and can overnight anything I want to my door for like $10. On top of that fish that SWF charges like $50 or $60 for he is like $20. I recently seen a huge picasso trigger he had for sale a buet of a fish he wanted $24 for it it was around 7" or so (that is huge considering alot of fish pet stores sell are tiny baby fish). Other pet stores I have seen Blue hippo tangs for as high as $90 he has them for $25. I recently purchesed a massive Bubble Tip anemone around 10" across $34.
Those seem to be awesome prices. I wish my LFS had things that cheap. How does your LFS get them so cheap?

B

bonita69

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
http:///forum/post/2486978
That's an often overlooked point; Thank you.
Admin is currently making changes that will expand the business.
Now, I don't have any "inside information" so don't read anything into what I'm saying. Just look at the recent changes:
*Huge Photo contest with thousands of dollars fo prices given away
*Completely overhauled and vastly improved forums (You all don't get to see all of the sweet changes, but trust me it was a huge improvement).
*They have been testing a "Live Support" feature on the webpage (it was on last week)
in addition to a new customer supprt tracking system: https://www.saltwaterfish.com/support/
I don't know how big SWF is, but they've been around for a while (The sweet web address alone is probably worth a small fortune at this point).
Bonita, thanks for the premise behind the thread. I'll make sure, if the thread remains constructive, that Admin keeps up on it. That said, the rules are the rules. As Mods we will continue to uphold the rules to the forums. Just because something is not in stock does allow anyone to post a link to somewhere that has it in stock. That will never change.
Let's keep this thread positive and constructive. As Crash pointed out, SWF has a huge selection; many of the livestock items are seasonal or rare. The opportunity is there to get on the email wishlist. No reason to get upset just because those items aren't in stock.
As for dry goods, what are you looking for? What types and what brands? Info like that would be beneficial.
Frozen foods is really not practical. Do you want to pay overnight shipping for fish food?
So, just a gentle reminder; Keep it contructive, don't complain about the rules, and be patient.
I did vent a bit hard sorry for that I love coming to this site and just wish it had better dry goods/equiment. I understand about the livestock, that was never my complaint. I like to fish myself and will spend 100 bucks at Walmart getting all kinds of new tackle and fresh bait and not catch a damn thing!

As I stated RED SEA CORAL Pro salt, reef cystals, cheato micro agleas.
ANY RO/DI units you only sell RO. Replacement filters for those units. That would be nice to see here.
As far as shipping over night on frozen foods I just have a 92 gallon so no I would not.
But others here might do to the large or multi tanks and go through food fast and buy in bulk just might I don't know.

viper_930

As far as the livestock goes, SWF.com has a bigger in stock selection than most of the WHOLESALERS I've personally seen locally. As some of you may know, the SF Bay Area here has some of the best suppliers in the US, maybe second to the Los Angeles area only.
I thought I'd point out that SWF.com used to carry more dry goods like salt, lights, and protein skimmers. I can't say for sure why they were discontinued though, but I can speculate.
As for the links to outside sources, I think allowing them would be ridiculous from a business standpoint. I doubt any LFS would welcome customers to stroll in and send people to competitor stores. Perhaps some of the nice guys won't kick you out for it, but they certainly frown upon it. SWF.com pays for this forum so it's essentially part of their store, but the goal is to help the hobbyists, not etailers. Allowing links would also open doors for people to advertise their own online store while maybe hiding the fact that they own it. This isn't the only forum that has a rule against links to etailers, but from what I've seen we probably enforce it the most.
Anyways, I think this thread was good to see opposing views. We've had similar "discussions" in the past about these same issues that often turn sour.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by bonita69
http:///forum/post/2487048
I did vent a bit hard sorry for that I love coming to this site and just wish it had better dry goods/equiment. I understand about the livestock, that was never my complaint. I like to fish myself and will spend 100 bucks at Walmart getting all kinds of new tackle and fresh bait and not catch a damn thing!

As I stated RED SEA CORAL Pro salt, reef cystals, cheato micro agleas.
ANY RO/DI units you only sell RO. Replacement filters for those units. That would be nice to see here.
As far as shipping over night on frozen foods I just have a 92 gallon so no I would not.
But others here might do to the large or multi tanks and go through food fast and buy in bulk just might I don't know.
No problem with your "vent". Not all of my comments were directed at you.
Just to clear one thing up though; We Mods aren't "you" at SWF. We're just volunteers; we know Admin through the forums only
A few posts, including yours made me belief people thing we are actually a part of the company; We Mods are not. Scott (Admin) is the Big Boss and the only one who has posted here that is actually a part of the SWF company.
Even a huge tank would have to use a ton of food to justify paying the $30 or more for overnight shipping on frozen foods. Especially when making your own food is so easy and so practical.

acrylic51

I've skimmed through the thread and found it rather interesting since I've never ordered anything from here......I know the rules/policies about links to other sites and all, but I've never understood, why I've seen edits, on threads when info (that is solid) is on another site.....Again I know what the policies are, but this forum is suppose to educate or help one another, what is seriously wrong when "someone" on the fence about deciding to switch to a sump or fuge, and we all know the best site to send someone to for that information that lays it out pretty easy with good reference material to help?????? I've always found that disturbing.
As far as stock, I have to agree since I do know the business side of things, and people have to remember that just because they order doesn't mean they recieve the item ordered. Time of season and availability plays a major key in things. As far as equipment I understand that you can't carry 1 of everything, but again I revert back to my initial issue, that if this site doesn't carry that item or something similar then what is the issue with directing someone to the item they are looking for since there isn't a competing item with SWF itself.......(ie....Tanks, Controllers, Skimmers(size), pumps) at times the items possibly listed aren't suitable for the specific application and people need to be directed to the source......

al mc

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/2487123
I've skimmed through the thread and found it rather interesting since I've never ordered anything from here......I know the rules/policies about links to other sites and all, but I've never understood, why I've seen edits, on threads when info (that is solid) is on another site.....Again I know what the policies are, but this forum is suppose to educate or help one another, what is seriously wrong when "someone" on the fence about deciding to switch to a sump or fuge, and we all know the best site to send someone to for that information that lays it out pretty easy with good reference material to help?????? I've always found that disturbing.
As far as equipment I understand that you can't carry 1 of everything, but again I revert back to my initial issue, that if this site doesn't carry that item or something similar then what is the issue with directing someone to the item they are looking for since there isn't a competing item with SWF itself.......(ie....Tanks, Controllers, Skimmers(size), pumps) at times the items possibly listed aren't suitable for the specific application and people need to be directed to the source......

Totally agree A51

B

bonita69

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
http:///forum/post/2487075
As far as the livestock goes, SWF.com has a bigger in stock selection than most of the WHOLESALERS I've personally seen locally. As some of you may know, the SF Bay Area here has some of the best suppliers in the US, maybe second to the Los Angeles area only.
I thought I'd point out that SWF.com used to carry more dry goods like salt, lights, and protein skimmers. I can't say for sure why they were discontinued though, but I can speculate.
As for the links to outside sources, I think allowing them would be ridiculous from a business standpoint. I doubt any LFS would welcome customers to stroll in and send people to competitor stores. Perhaps some of the nice guys won't kick you out for it, but they certainly frown upon it. SWF.com pays for this forum so it's essentially part of their store, but the goal is to help the hobbyists, not etailers. Allowing links would also open doors for people to advertise their own online store while maybe hiding the fact that they own it. This isn't the only forum that has a rule against links to etaileers, but from what I've seen we probably enforce it the most.
Anyways, I think this thread was good to see opposing views. We've had similar "discussions" in the past about these same issues that often turn sour.
I did not mean to let us post links freely. It was simply a point to supply us with useful dry product. I meant it by why be SO strick on the rule if your not going to sell it right hear. Thats is all. I did not mean for it to come out so strong. and again NOT THE LIVESTOCK area I think that area is just fine the way it is. The way the pages are set up could stand for some improvment IMO.
I agree bashing was not the reason for my thread in the first place. I want to see a + come from it. And our needs better met by SWF.
So Guys don't let this take place let this be a tool to better meet our needs. Guys we have their full attention tell them what you want to see stocked here. I already posted mine.

teresaq

lets see things I would like. frag packs would be nice, or differant size pieces. For example, I want to order an assorted zoo, its 40 or so polyps for 45 buck. If they offered say a smaller size, with half the polyps for half the price, then I could order two differant colors, and someone else could do the same. they would sell the same amount, but I would get a variety.
The only media I use is blue bonded filter pads, and Renew with mesh bags.
T

viper_930

bonita, I didn't mean to direct my post at you specifically, but some of the points I mentioned were brought up earlier in this thread by others. I'm sorry if I sidetracted the thread more. :)