Id..Good, bad or just ugly?

dmanatee

You have to love moving aquariums...Well anyway while moving some of my live rock and corals into a "half way" tub I noticed some algae that I haven't noticed before. Some of it is creeping out from under my purple mushroom and I need to find out what it is, and if I should have concern that there is some on another rock. For a brief description it is slightly branchy and though. It can be pulled out but breaks easily.
Anyone want to take a stab at the identity of this stuff...thank you!

fretfreak13

The stuff with the purple tips? Or the green stuff?
Either way, I can't give you an ID, but if its the purple stuff I'd love to know. It's beautiful!

meowzer

My first thought was chaeto......have not found anything else yet to make me change my mind...LOL....not 100% sure though

flower

I don't think it's Chaeto..Does it feel like it's made of plastic?. I knew a fellow with a bunch of bubble algae and he had that stuff, he pulled it out and it felt like plastic. I have a small patch of it, it came on a coral and it has never overgrown anything. I don't think it's a bad thing. Bad algae spreads like fire.

bang guy

I've had that stuff too. I've casually ID'd it as Cladophoropsis sp. but I've never taken the time to confirm it.

spanko

Does it spread from a runner? If so I agree with bang. Gonna be hard to get rid of if you want to, takes manual removal with a pick of some kind to get the leftover pieces.

fretfreak13

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/381580/id-good-bad-or-just-ugly#post_3341116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretfreak13
http:///forum/thread/381580/id-good-bad-or-just-ugly#post_3341114
The stuff with the purple tips? Or the green stuff?
Either way, I can't give you an ID, but if its the purple stuff I'd love to know. It's beautiful!
LOL...Fret...the purple is the mushroom...must be a type of rhodactis
I have to do some looking for the algae.....BUT I know where to look...LOL
Well...that's embaressing. xD I'd better get off this second of the forum ROTFF

fretfreak13