Ideas for 10 gallon?

omgsaltwat

Originally Posted by Saltwater8
I doubt someone with the tag line, reef on budget, would know who he is, again if you bothered reading, you might find out who he is...
What does that statment have anything do with the subject......dude take a pill...Let it go we know what your opinion is

stanlalee

Saltwater8 I believe we had this same argument about wether 10g is large enough for percs not too long ago. Why cant you accept the fact that your opinion is not popular not will you convince many people otherwise as tank bred false percs are probably the most common and successful fish kept in 20g and under nano's. Like stated once clowns make a home they dont venture far and find there security there. Tangs get disease and dont live long term in tanks too small. it is not common for anyone to report false percs being unhealthy, living short term or acting strangly in a 10g tank so unless you are able to psychoanalyze what a fish is feeling just let it be that your opinion may be shared by marine biologist but not here by common hobbyist. In general people like fenner are always generous in there recommendations for tank space. Fenner doesn't believe any tang (besides perhaps kole) should be placed in tanks less than 6ft long. while his opinion is probably nore creditable than most hobbiest you arent going to convince hobbiest with 48" 90 or 120g tall aquariums with a tang they shouldn't be there. and people have their own opinion based on experince too. IF I am doing something that has always worked well for me I could give a damn what an expert feels shouldn't work, sometimes what isn't suppose to work works. experts arent always right. how many times in the last 15yrs have what filtration. lights ect that they once thought were best have changed. how is it that those same experts that said bristle worms were pest five years ago claim they are God sent detrivores now?

jerthunter

I'm bored and thought MAYBE there is something useful I could contribute to this discussion. I have two o. clowns in my 65 gal tank. They have chosen to spend almost their entire time in a small region of the tank much smaller in volume then a 10 gal tank. I am not an expert on clownfish or any fish for that matter, however based on my observations on the behavior of my two clowns I would assume they would do ok in a 10 gal.
I have actually been considering setting up a 10 gal tank and my idea for stocking it is for a yellow clown goby. So if you are still debating which fish to keep (I read most of the replies but there are alot and I may have missed something) perhaps a clown goby could be an idea.

omgsaltwat

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
I still just see a heated debate. No reason to close it yet.
I consider Joyce Wilkerson an expert on Clownfish. I'll see if I can find what she says about Percula tank size. If she recommends a larger tank then I'll probably lean toward her recommendation.
Until then, here's a pic from one of my 10 gallon tanks:
Awesome
great tank and pic...

zanski

Wow i never thought anyone would back my opinion on this matter. but i took the day off from saltwaterfish because i got tired of arguing with saltwater8. Ive got 2 tank raised percs in a 10 gallon with a red BTA and i was woundering if anyone had an idea on how to get them to host with the BTA. I figured this was the best post to list this on because of all the intrest in the post

Any
"opinion"

would be helpfull lol

travis89

Originally Posted by Zanski
Wow i never thought anyone would back my opinion on this matter. but i took the day off from saltwaterfish because i got tired of arguing with saltwater8. Ive got 2 tank raised percs in a 10 gallon with a red BTA and i was woundering if anyone had an idea on how to get them to host with the BTA. I figured this was the best post to list this on because of all the intrest in the post

Any
"opinion"

would be helpfull lol
I have heard that you can print off pictures of clowns hosting anenomies and they will figure it out from seeing that.

Travis

threed240

Originally Posted by Travis89
I have heard that you can print off pictures of clowns hosting anenomies and they will figure it out from seeing that.

Travis
Really?

celacanthr

Their managing director of their live aquaria is a biologist... it you bothered to actually read, you might have known that...
I believe moneyman was referring to these earlier post
Originally Posted by saltwater8
You don't believe two life long vets that specialize in aquaria....
and

Foster... Smith...... these guys wrote the bible on our hobby
in which case moneyman is correct, neither of them are specialized in aquaria, like you claimed. That website also has lots of inaccurate information.

There is NO use for a 10 gallon tank in the saltwater fish hobby, unless like someone said, it is used as a sump.
I have to disagree, there are many uses for 10 gallons, such as:
Quarantine tanks
Nano tanks
Tanks for Hippocampus zosterae
Grow-out tanks
Frag tanks
Food growing tanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Robert Fenner and Scott Michael are both huge contributors to our hobby, and are both very knowledgeable and educated. But this does not mean that their way is the only way, because if it was then this hobby would never evolve beyond what "the experts" say is ok. Experimentation is absolutely crucial to this hobby, and most of this experimentation is done by us normal non-expert hobbyists. Furthermore, not all hobbyists are going to consider the same people experts (i.e. it really depends on the person as to who they consider an expert). I for one consider Bang Guy an expert in many different aspects of the hobby.
Now that I have been all negative, I would like to say that there is not one single correct way to do anything in this hobby, so Fenner's way of doing things isn't neccessarily any better or worse than Bang Guy's.
CELA

ray28576

This does work. I have 2 O. Clowns, had them for a little over a year, and they never hosted. About 2 weeks ago I put a pic on my tank. Just today they started hosting my Frogspawn.

Bang, that is a really cool pic.
My friend across the alley from me, has a percula clown in his 75 gl, and it never leaves the corner of the tank. Its crazy. That big tank, and it uses maybe a gallon of swimming room. LOL.

ray28576

Their managing director of their live aquaria is a biologist... it you bothered to actually read, you might have known that...
I doubt someone with the tag line, reef on budget, would know who he is, again if you bothered reading, you might find out who he is...
Because good people when they know they are in the right, don't shut up and sit back and let others give bad advice.

So, ok, I am done, it's obvious that no matter how many experts tell you otherwise, people who want clowns, will get them.
:happyfish
How are you going to talk about someone being on a budget. You make it sound like someone on a budget isn't smart enough to know things. That really gets under my skin. I can't believe someone would be that low, to make a comment like that.
I can tell that you're the type that thinks you're better than others, and its your way or no way. Guess what, if you don't like it, "Cry a river, build a bridge, and get the **#* over it." I still can't beleive he would drag someones budget into it. OMG. :mad:
Sorry for being negetive everyone, but that was a terrible thing for him to say.

bang guy

OK, I read what Ms. Wilkerson has to say. I consider her a Clownfish Expert, not just a Marine author. ie. She specializes in Clownfish...
"A 10- or 20- gallon (40- or 75- liter) aquarium is large enough for small clownfishes like Percula or Ocellaris. A 40-to-55gallon (150-to-200-liter) tank is suitable for larger species like Clark's, Red and Black, Tomato, and Maroon."
Her opinon fits perfectly with my experience. I have no reason to doubt that she has had experiences (albeit far, far more) similar to mine.
So, now we know the opinion of someone who most experienced hobbiests consider to be a Clownfish
expert.

ray28576

I just got done reading that post. He really wants someone to be on his side of this debate. LOL, some people just have differnt opinions. Oh well.

lion_crazz

I am somewhere in the middle on this one.
I don't have any problem with someone stating their opinion, but saltwater8, every time you dissent with someone, it always comes off sounding pretty harsh. I am not trying to flame you, but try to be kind when posting a reply. People have come here for advice, and if you continue to be as harash as you will, they will just go elsewhere. We don't want to begin to look like other reef forums on the web...
. Saltwaterfish.com is a nice, informative place where people can post their questions and concerns without feeling below anyone.
I am very happy that you are trying to educate other people, and it is always good to refer to experts on topics, but the experts are not the end-all and be-all every time. Plus, there are MANY experts out there. For instance, Bang Guy posted something from a clownfish expert that is probably not known to many people. Thus, state your opinion, and let it go. It only gets worse and people stop listening when you begin to argue and rant.
Instead of beginning your post,
"UMMM... NO!"
You could say something like, "In my opinion, two clownfish in a 10 gallon tank won't work very well long term." That would be a much nicer way of saying things.
Then, instead of using absolutes, like,
"There is NO use for a 10 gallon tank in the saltwater fish hobby, unless like someone said, it is used as a sump"
You could say, "I think the best use for a 10 gallon tank is a sump." Obviously, there are other uses for a 10 gallon tank, as stated by CELCANThr (Quarantine tanks, Nano tanks, Tanks for Hippocampus zosterae, Grow-out tanks, Frag tanks, Food growing tanks). When you say something like you did, you come off sounding aragant and flat-out wrong.
On the other hand though, I really do not agree with putting large active fish in a small tank. One member mentioned a porcupine puffer in a 29 gallon tank. This is not the same thing at all. A porcupine puffer gets 18 inches. I am sure you could see why a 29 gallon tank would not work for an 18 inch fish. Because a 29 gallon tank is 30 inches long and 12 inches wide, there is no way a fish that size could move in a 29 gallon tank, or a 55 gallon tank, or a 75 gallon tank for that matter.

bang guy

I would like to comment on Fenner's reference to tank stability.
Small tanks require a lot more attention than larger tanks. This isn't to say they are more difficult, it's just that water quality degrades much faster in the smaller tanks. If you do not have the time & awareness to maintain stable tank parameters then I totally agree to not add fish of any type or size to the tank.