if i got anyone upset over my feelins i am sorry

hairtrigger

Holy Posting! I have some serious catching up to do after Christmas. I got seriously caught behind. Really busy too. Sorry yall. First:
I hope everyone had a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:
Second, the only time I spent on here over the past few days was to attempt assembling a u-build it package. Time for a massive clean-up crew. However, didn't get that accomplished yet.
But, check this out. For Christmas, I got a Favita Bony Moon "Brain Coral" Absolutly beautiful. Great specimen. Also got a Fungia Plate, green and red. And a Devil's Hand. Looked a little harried, but is recouping great in my tank so far. Last, but far from least ,I got an ultra colony rock of some huge mixed polyps. I need a digi to show yall. Wooo hoooo. :D
Ok, let me get to the post now.
Sammy... you have some good points I agree with. I tend to agree with you about the United States being a brute, world police force. Vietnam was called a "police action." So is Somalia, Mogudishu (Sp?) and the Gulf back in the early 90's. However, I do believe our "War on Terror" is justified. If there is one "police action" I support, this is it. I don't support needless ones, but I do believe this is warranted because:
Al Qaeda directly attacked us four times on our home soil. 2 in NY, 1 in DC, and 1 in PA. Thousands of our citizens were killed. Millions were directly affected by it. I don't think our government should shrug off a direct attack on our people. We have the strongest military in the world. To sit by idly after a direct terror attack like this would be preposterous. I believe, with the support of the permanent and rotating UN security council members, we should erradicate terror.
Because, down the road, the leaders of these terror groups, countries, could really harm the world. If we allow them to continue their "quiet" stockpiling, plotting, and schemeing, things will eventually go "BOOM." If we don't do something before the problem starts, we will react when it is too late. That would undoubtedly have serious global reprocussions. Bad things yall, bad things.
So, if we, and the UN countries, work to secure a safe "global environment," we are not only looking out for the now, we are ensuring protection four our kids, grandkids, so on and so forth. I believe this is necessary. It will be unfortunate when our countrymen and women die in battle. However, that is their job. If they joined the military thinking they will have it easy, and never go to war... they took a risky gamble. I come from a family with many military personnel in it, so I feel comfortable saying that. Now, if they did join with the misconception it would be cushy, those who did wouldn't be in Afghanistan right now. If our troops weren't up to the challenge of saving the world, they would border jump to Canada. However, we sent them overseas, and they willingly went. They know they are fighting for something important. And they know some of them will die doing it. Their families, and our citizens need to recognize this and support them. Not stonewall them like after nam. It is war, it is unplesant... it is necessary. Or countless more people will die in the longrun.
Now, on to the thought of electric vehicles. I don't like it, but I believe it is the way of the future, partially anyway. I am a huge car buff. I love off roading in big, gas gulping suv's. I love racing in fast, gas guzzling muscle cars. I also like speeding along in fuel hungry sports cars. Now, I dont want electric cars, but our fossil fuels are running out like many folks have noticed. I believe electric vehicles could offer a means for commuting, errands, everyday b-s. The fun, fossil burning stuff doesnt have to be phased out immediately. They can be used for fun, weekends, or if you can afford the future- super expensive gas, whenever you want. I say weekends because I believe the remaining fossil fuels will be used for business mostly, but will still be available to the public at immense cost. Combustion engines as we know them will become a hobby, or just very expensive. Sick isnt it? I am skeered of it. I will miss my gas guzzling Tahoe. But, that thing puts just as much of a dent in my wallet as it would if I hit a Yugo. :D
JRB has a good point about the experts us media uses. Now, you are actually partially right here. Local media tends to use b-s experts more than networks. However, it all depends on the story. If it is a government story, you can be sure our experts are former government officials, or similar things. For example, many government experts who weren't public officials, hold political science, government, economists, etc, degrees from places like Harvard, Yale, West Point, Stanford, blah blah blah. Now, they also have Ph's... whoops, meant PhD's. My tank has the PH. :D So, essentially, after years of research, education, and knowledge, they are experts. However, we also use experts for our "video game segments," "hotwired segments," "technology segments," "entertainment segments," so on and so forth. They might not be the "experts" you look for though. I mean, still, they are more than knowledgeable in their fields. When I was at local stations, true, if I needed an expert, I would go to the local college, school, government facility, etc. I would find a professor, doctor, what have you. So they werent as versed as their national counterparts, but they still had a wealth of knowledge. You have to respect someone's field of study, whether you like them as a source or not. They worked hard to get there probably. I feel they deserve the recognition and credit if we air their advice, opinion, standpoint, or expertise.
Now, JRB, I do also agree with you, and the others, about oil being a national interest. I think that the sub-agenda is to make sure the world doesnt end up paying super astronomical amounts for gasoline. I mean, we pay a ton now, but it could get worse. Many parts of the world, where crude oil comes from, doesnt pay jack. I hear in Kuwait you can fill up a gas tank for the equivilant of 67 US Cents. :eek: I mean, that gets me about 2 miles in my truck. So, seperate that from the war on terrorism. That could be an added bonus. A consolation prize if you will. That is the possible addition to fighting terror, that the world will be able to drive their combustion engines without going broke. Until we perfect alternative fuels that is. :D
Snowbear, you hit it on the head.... supply and demand. That is what it is all about. Now, the demand is there, but the supply is dwindling away. So how do we ensure people can afford the supply... we use guns. I dont necissarily support that, but it looks to be the way of the world today. We could have probably seen it coming when we realized fossil fuels are not permanent.
So, now I must get to work. I will post more later. You know, because of this thread, I dont have time to ask about my aquarium anymore. :D I need to reserve some time for that.
Lata yall, see you in about 8 hours. Keep it going. Great stuff. Great stuff. And MERRY BELATED CHRISTMAS. :cool:

jrb384

since were all over the map here, did you see that lady that claims they have cloned a human? offering the grandmothers testimony that the baby looks just like the mother as the only evidence????
yea, i buy that one.
its appearant though, that that same lady has also cloned a sheeps a$$ and they transplanted it and put it on her face...
man the ugly forest dropped the peoples elbow on her grill...

hairtrigger

Yeah, I have been doing stuff on this damn story all night long. And I dont like it. Especially if it is true. Messing with fire here. Bad things. I see a world of controversy starting. Beware, heed my prophecy. :D You will see the *hit storm this will stir up. Oops, here it goes again... a 31 year old mother has given birth to. :mad:

fishfood

jrb - why now... because he needs to finish what daddy didn't, The economy sucks and since he can't correct it he will divert attention, he needs to draw attention from his buddies in enron and all the other corrupt business that are in the governments pocket or vice versa. Put higher taxes on products made outside the U.S. that were/could be made here, to get companies to the people in our country. I'm sure the fact that our major business basically ---- other countries buy have cheap labor and less envirnmental rules and so on and so for contributes to why so many people in other countries dislike us.
Just got word today that two of my buddies just got called up to ship out next week. Not sure where they are going.

hairtrigger

Yeah fishfood, they are probably part of one of the following things preparing for deployment throughout January:
2 carrier groups
2 amphibious assault groups
hundreds of airforce craft and support teams
several army cavalry units
the pentagon says they were waiting until after Christmas to order troops to prepare for deployment.
When I started this story today, I wrote the lead by saying:
Happy Holidays and "prepare for immediate deployment."
that's what Pentagon officials are saying to U-S forces....
Its a sure thing we will be going to war even though they say "an official decision about going to war with iraq hasn't been made yet."
They dont mobilize these forces without good reason. And they are reinforcing 50,000 troops already in the region.
You know Saddam won't disarm... so that means the alternative.

fishfood

These guys are both reserve or guard i can't remember but both did time and then came out and went to school. One is currently the President of the SGA at the school we all went to and is also one of the top representative for SGA in the state of florida. The other one just finally got a job after pulling airport duty up until a few months back. I ran into another college buddy at the bar last week and he just got back from Afghanistan. Said he had to dodge bullets and they were also food poisoned once or twice. Makes ya think that you also have to worry about the food you eat while over there.

snowbear

Several of the Reserve and Guard guys at my work are either already deployed or about to be deployed. Most don't know exactly where they are going yet, but sounds like most likely a place with sand (Turkey or Kuwait). A few are also anticipating N. Korea :(

wrassecal

Well Mercedes and jrb384 - Thank You for serving.
I think I mentioned oh about page 1 or so, but I knew there would be many of us personally affected with friends loved ones being deployed.
I've one son Marine being deployed to Kuwait and my step-son, Marine also, due to come home from Okinawa, was told on Christmas day, which is also his birthday, that he has to stay and the part of his meu that had already left was being recalled back to Okinawa.
Thanks to eveyone serving and has served.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If Americans have problems joining on the bandwagon of War Against Terror, I think it is largely due to the potential DRAFT of our young men....which, BTW, I am opposed to. We are the only superpower in the world now, no one should have to be forced to bear arms. The politicans who were in power during the Democratic era in the 90's basically downsized our military to the point that its now a potential crisis.
We are technologically superior, there is no reason to send masses of ground troops to fight a conventional war where thousands are killed. What's the point to being a "superpower" after all?

wrassecal

Beth - I hear ya, if we are such a superpower and the Iraqi's "really" don't want to fight for Saddam then why do we need 100,00 of our military over there. Here's what scares me the most about having so many and that is if it is true that the Iraqi's won't really fight, think maybe Saddam figured that much out the first time? I'm afraid it's not the Iraqi's with the chem, bio etc but radical muslim terrorists that he has recrutied to protect and use these things on us. These terrorists don't mind death for the cause and they have proved it. I would also ask the question are we really a "superpower" anymore now that the game has changed and our society has been infiltrated?

jrb384

beth,
i agree completely with you about the politicans destroying our military in the 90's, obviously cigars and monica were far to important. In my last post I asked why now, what does iraq have that they didnt have the past 10 years. got me thinking, maybe it is all to convienant for bush to tie in the war with iraq with the war on terror, but maybe its the only acceptable way to fix a problem he inherited from good ole billy. in comparison, there were probally more opportunities for clinton to take out bin ladin than jimmy carter got

[hr]
. as far as technology, that only goes so far. in the end, it takes manpower, people on the ground taking real estate an inch at a time and with that comes loss. i think you'll see a repeat of last time, months of air campaigns, destroy their infrastructure, bridges, roads, industry, and communication lines to isolate their troops. then after months of bombing with no food ect what little morale they do have will go away along with their will to fight. the only difference this time, i hope anyways, is the ground war will go all the way to sadams front door and remove him on his ear.
wrassecal, you'll always worry about your son, but trust that the usmc has trained him to do his job and he is part of the most elite fighting force the planet has ever known, when he's there and if he's in combat, he wont worry about politicians, enron, or whatever, he'll be fighting for the marine on his left and right, thats all that will matter, and they'll do whatever it takes to come home alive.
that is of course unless his meu is hitting the beach and there position is being aired live in real time around the planet. I wonder, has anyone ever though sadam may have cable? maybe he watches the news. but i guess the peoples rights to be informed is more important, but thats a whole other issue.
snowbear,
as far as going to war with n. korea, i wouldnt worry. and i wouldnt put to much stock in what you see on the news. sure there actual happening events, but the tension is tv drama. my father is a retired marine colonel and now is a defense analyist working for the army in s. korea. in fact he lives and works very close to the dmz. i used to worry and call him whenever i saw the tv drama unfolding thinking we were on the brink of all out war, but that got old quick because it was always bs. i used to live in seoul korea and it was nothing for firefights to occur in the dmz between n and s korean troops. alot goes on that you dont see or hear about because its not "newsworthy"
and lastly, why dont they show more coverage about afghanistan? theres still troops their doing there jobs. Is it me, or did the OJ trial and the stupid, stupid, stupid, nancy kerrigan/ tonya harting get far more coverage?

davidsmith

look at everyome point of view so many different types but in the ens were all humans so i hope everyone has a safe new year

davidsmith

so what does everyone think about the war we are going to go to . how many innocent people fighting a war from what they have no idea what tehre fighting for

I hope they keep anyone from blowing up NORAD!!!!!!!!!
Would be extremely bad for my family.
Plus... both harsh chemical agents and radiation would be bad for my reef.

davidsmith

i wish they wouldnt blow up anything or even go to war this is going to be for us also cause there is going to be so much mixed feeling towards each other of different race that we might start having problems in our own home land