if i got anyone upset over my feelins i am sorry

wrassecal

I recruit petroleum engineering students for the Unviversity of Oklahoma. That's ones been going around for months, cracks me up cause all those companies recruit my students.
Beth, you are absolutely right and I alluded to it in my other post. We will fight for Israel til the end of time, because it is the holy land of the Christians and the bible tells the christians that the Jews are the chosen people of God and are to be/will be protected. So since it's, Christmas I'll jump out there and say that I am damn proud to live in a country that let's me say that I believe that "Jesus is reason for the season" Merry Christmas to all of you and whoever you pray to, pray that there will be peace on earth.

wamp

Ahhh.... the oil issue...
My uncle worked for a company that researched fuel consumption. He was their master mechanic and lead test enginer. He once told me that they had a combustion engine with a carbuerator on it in their lab desined by GM that got over 80 MPG and still stayed at 190 HP. Now, thats amazing. When I asked why it was not on the market. His answer was. Greed. The bi oil companies basically paid them not to put this engine into prodution.
It's all about the Benjamins.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not doubting what you said regarding the high performance engine, wamp...it certainly is more than likely, but I wonder, what amt of money anybody has to pay off someone with such an advanced engine???? The could make billions of bucks on his own wo being paid off!

wrassecal

Originally posted by sammystingray
I truly believe certain things are made in such a way as to make sure they won't last too long........then they will need replacing. It's all a big joke really.:)

"functional obsolesense" who hid my my dictionary I don't think I spelled that right. Anyway, it means that things, for instance your refridgerator is only made to run so long before it poops out and you have to buy another one. Most everything we buy has a "life span" built in and the manufacturer can actually track future buying based on that information.
I don't know about engines, but I remember that the technology for compact disc was there at the same time as for vhs tapes and the market released the tapes and held off on the cd technology for several years.......it's all about the money

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Being on the consumer end, its a bumber, but if you're an economist, there might be a problem if everything we bought was actually as good as the manufacture said it was. :D

danrw84

thats pretty bad.
But remember how many jobs are out there, and how many would be lost if we had those type of engines.. fossil fuel is running out.

wrassecal

It's like this, from the moment we are born, we are dying. From the moment this planet was born it has been dying. Then we get the survival of fittest thing going on through time and the evolution of man and dang if we don't just keep right on killing ourselves and our planet. Fossil fuels are running out, actually not, but not to worry folks, if it does our grandkids will figure out a way to utilize that hole in the ozone and use it for fuel:D OMG I just realized I'm responsible for luring some of the brightest of our American youth into the oil and gas industry:eek:

wamp

Beth,
The way it was put to me, you can only make money while your idea is fresh. After that, it gets stolen and basardized into every other automobile. Kinda like DVD players. WHen they first came out, they were outrageously priced. Why? The parts cost about the same as they did the... Because your paying for a new technology. Now, most companies barley make profit on their electronic equipment. They HAVE to sell a shipload to make enough to keep the lights on. WHen it's new, you pay. When it's old, you play.
The oil companies, to my understanding, are paying an enoromious amount up front and still paying royalties. All this money and nothing even having to be produced. No material cost, no labor, nothing. So, if you had an Idea for somehting that would make you 1,000,000,000$ but it would cost you 500,000,000 to make it, leaving the same in profit OR I give you 500milion now and 500mil over 30 years for the right to your idea, which would you chose?
I for one am lazy and money hungry. I would take the payout.
People we can put a man on the moon and he has to drink his own pee. We can figure out how to make a car run off water. We have to be the ones to force the issue with Govt to make them change. Thats right GOVT. They control the energy business.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
We have about 200 yrs of oil left before we run dry. After that, it will change, but til then, if there's a buck to be had, then change is not happening. :rolleyes:

wrassecal

The Petroleum Industry has actually been gearing up. After the crash in the early 80's no one wanted their kids to go into the industry, so there is a shortage of petroleum engineers that is only going to get worse in the next 10-15 years. Major $$ are being spent to woo the top science and math high school kids into the industry. My students get anywhere form $3500 - $4500 per month just for summer internships starting after their freshman year (they haven't even had an engineering course at that point.) They have the highest starting salaries on campus averaging $60k a year. But the good news is that in research, our grad students (who btw are almost 100% international students) are researching ways to get the oil and natual gas out of known areas with greater efficiency. The industry is HEAVILY regulated by the governmnet as far as environmental issues and lots of research goes into that kind of thing too. One of the more interesting things is that we only get about half of the resources out of any given resevoir. so for every field that has ever been drilled about half the resources are still there. There are a lot of studies going on to make the extraction of more effiecient. If you look at it from an economic point of view the energy industry supplies jobs for the majority of mechanical, electrical, chemical and petroleum engineers, not to mention geologist, geoscientists, landmen and then of course all the business people etc that it takes to keep a company going. Another thing most people don't know is that the oil and gas industry is a leading user of technology so there is a whole 'nother industry that relies greatly on the consumption of their products. Without oil and gas we wouldn't have plastic either, or tape or tires or many other things we take for granted. It's amazing to think of all the daily things we enjoy and use that are possible because of the petroleum industry. It's not just about energy consumption although that is the biggest and most obvious. So when we say our government is in bed with the auto manufactures we need to include all the other industries also.

jrb384

not to beat a dead horse, but hair trigger, maybe you can explain this... I always get a laugh at all the "experts" the media comes up with. wether its "left hand wrench turners" or whatever the hot story is, there is always some crackhead that claims they are an expert. I mean where do they find these people and are they on retainer? joining us now, our chief analyist expert smartguy franky rizzo discussing the effects of sunbathing after 2pm...
i mean get real. it makes you wonder.

arkman

We have laid out the issues above:
*Oil funds our "enemies"
*We have the technolgy for other sources of locomotion and energy
*We have a representative govenment that makes the laws
*I dont really think we are the minority ( I could post a poll, but I dont think I have to ;)
So, do we do anything about it?
HairTrigger -- how about hitting the street with a poll on the public --- not "So what do you think about a war in Iraq?" - but...
"Do you think its worth invensting $1,000,000,000 a day (yes that a billion with a "b" - and someone please correct me if that's inacurate) in war, or alternative fuel/energy sources?
my $.02 - the $64,000 question.

baddboyzz

who is going to take all of this and write a book off of it and make a killing????? lol Sell this book and get a 5000 gallon reef :D :D :D

hnf2k

why stick up for all these people that give us problems? who cares how they are brought up. ---- them and everyone that looks like them.

iceburger

a book?...how about a made for tv movie lol...anyway...
just a thought, i know someone who is in the oil bussiness, he lives in alaska and works for BP, he said that there is enough oil in alaska that we could have enough for this country to use and then we could supply the middle east with oil too... and why dont we do this?.........
it just doesnt make sense to me...

snowbear

Originally posted by iceburger
just a thought, i know someone who is in the oil bussiness, he lives in alaska and works for BP, he said that there is enough oil in alaska that we could have enough for this country to use and then we could supply the middle east with oil too... and why dont we do this?.........
it just doesnt make sense to me...

Hmmm - Whay not -
1 - Environmentalist opposition
2 - as Wrassecal said - technology is still being developed to get more crude from each oil field.
3 - Supply v. demand - Demand is there - *we* will use as much as is produced. If there's less oil available to be refined, more can be charged for what is available, so what's the hurry?
One thing I have noticed about fuel prices - when the price per barrel of crude oil goes up, the price of fuel (gasoline, diesel, heating fuel, natural gas) follows within days. But when the price of crude goes down, it take several weeks for the fuel prices to follow. The price fixers...... ummm..... I mean ...... ummmm..... oil companies, say it takes so long for fuel prices to go down because they are still selling the stuff they made out of more expensive crude. This group is smart enough I don't need to spell out the rest of this picture.....
My mom owns a business that is directly tied to the oil industry in Alaska (She makes the oil and gas lease maps as well as project maps for the various oil companies), so I kinda keep up with this. The ecomony of this state is also heavily dependent on the oil industry, although tourism is becoming a significant force. Despite this dependence, I am an advocate of workable alternative fuel sources. My commuter car is a small car that gets awesome milage and I only drive my HD diesel pickup when I need a work truck. I'm trying to stay "off the grid" as my primary power source when I get into my new house, but I think realistically that won't be possible unless I give up my tanks :( . I have set up a solar array (panels made by BP, believe it or not!!!) and a windmill so far. I'm hoping technology will catch up to my vision in the next year or so :p .

jrb384

I served in the USMC, infantry. Maybe I live under a rock with a reef tank in it, but can someone please tell me why all of a sudden IRAQ has weapons of mass destruction that they didnt have over the past 10 years? Like overnight they just popped up...um negative.
I'm sure our govt and its allies have known what has been taking place, it wouldnt even shock me to find out if one or our allies has been selling arms to IRAQ. Doesnt IRAQ owe russia like 6 billion dollars? what did they buy? rice? probally not. The 64K question is why now? what has peaked our interest?
Anyone who doesnt think oil is a national interest to the US probally also believes OJ is innocent. Like it or not it is, and it makes the world go round.
So my quesion is what, and why now? the war on terror? b.s. because sadam kills his own people, nope thats not it...he's been doing that forever and we never cared. so what then is it?
just my 2 cents on what the above post mentioned as to why people hate us in the middle east. IMO if everyday your people were bombed, shot, and your land was taken, or occupied. You would get pissed. If everyday you were shot at, or a tank rolled over your home and school, and on the back of the tank it said "made in america" like most israeli weapons are, you would be pissed... maybe it doesnt make sense, but I could see how someone wouldnt take to kind to our country. As the last super power, we like to believe we are always right, and everyone else is backwards and wrong, but we often fail to realize is its often not our business to make those decisions for others. and perhaps maybe, in all our infanate wisdom, we can and do make mistakes.
we like to intervene, get our way and leave those countries to rot. somolia, afghanastan the 1st time, and not to mention IRAQ after the first gulf war, why didnt we do something then? so instead your young brothers will go off and die and hey, maybe if their lucky they to can have their names etched in a wall, or better yet, maybe their names will be etched on the handles of gasoline pumps. i've served my time cramed in a hot trak in the desert and thankfully I wont have to again..