I'm getting a 750 gal...need ideas!

ccampbell57

Bio...I am going with a G5 and a AquaC EV2000, together they will skim over 2600 gallons. 2 ASM G3's is not going to be enough. I have a G3 on my 180 and I need at least the G4 with my stock list.
I would suggest going with dual G6's or get a Bubble Master 300.

bioneck47

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
http:///forum/post/2848819
Bio...I am going with a G5 and a AquaC EV2000, together they will skim over 2600 gallons. 2 ASM G3's is not going to be enough. I have a G3 on my 180 and I need at least the G4 with my stock list.
I would suggest going with dual G6's or get a Bubble Master 300.
Yeah, I'm with you CC, I too don't think that it will be enough. Not to mention the space I would need under the tank to put three skimmers under there. I like the design of the ATI but do you think that it's going to be enough? Do you know if they over rate their skimmers like asm does? So far it looks like that's going to be the best choice.

premilove

yeah so i realized that you do not wnat this tank and you want to bring it to my house and set it up for me. i love the generosity. lol i cannot wait for this bad boy to be up
def would go for 2 g6's

ccampbell57

BM is very conservative with their skimming rate. I would say they skim better than they say.
Your big issue with the tank is going to be additional water...my 560 will have an additional 300g running underneath and behind it and I have no height restrictions on skimmers...
What is your plan going to look like for the rest of the tanks?

bioneck47

Originally Posted by premilove
http:///forum/post/2848844
yeah so i realized that you do not wnat this tank and you want to bring it to my house and set it up for me. i love the generosity. lol i cannot wait for this bad boy to be up
def would go for 2 g6's
Ha Ha that's funny, but anyways, the g6's are too tall to fit under the tank...
Originally Posted by ccampbell57

http:///forum/post/2848847
BM is very conservative with their skimming rate. I would say they skim better than they say.
Your big issue with the tank is going to be additional water...my 560 will have an additional 300g running underneath and behind it and I have no height restrictions on skimmers...
What is your plan going to look like for the rest of the tanks?
That's the big issue, I'm wanting to use it as a room divider so I'm planning on putting everything underneath the tank. I'm going to have to rearrange everything and I guess try and fit the largest tank possible underneath. So I'm going to need a skimmer that's not too tall but can handle the load. So I'm planning on doing just a basic setup, water drains from the overflow to the sump, skimmer in the sump, and pumps bringing water back up. How big do you think the sump has to be? Just enough to fit the skimmer and enough room for the inflow and the outflow, right? What are your thoughts?

ccampbell57

Well from my thoughts on the tank and your bio load, you are going to need at least 1/3 the water volume that is on top. So figure your tank is ~700g, you will need at least 200g underneath.
Your skimmer will need to be HUGE as it will need to skim at least double your water volume because of your stock. You will need to have a lot of room due to the fact that your water flow from the drains will be quite turbulant. There will be a ton of bubbles in the sump and you will need a couple of gates in the sump to get rid of the microbubbles. Also, with a skimmer that skims 1500g, you are looking at a footprint of at least 18"x18".
You will need this much for water quality. Without this, you will be doing massive water changes every week.
With a 700g tank, you will be looking at around 100g weekly changes.
I would say here is what you will need:
200g Sump/Refugium
Skimmer rated for at least 1500g
2 return pumps (Reflo Hammerheads) due to the depth of the tank

bioneck47

I'm just going to have to see what I got when I get the tank. Hopefully there's enough room for a large sump. Also CC, what exactly are gates? Do you mean gate valves for the skimmer?

mboswell1982

hey man, this thing should be awesome once u get it, so you are going with an aggressive tank? man, that this is gonna be tight, sharks an rays all the way :p lol im fallin in love with the reef tanks/nano's for something small lol and our big lagoon will be a giant peaceful community reef, but, we might just have to put a small shark in there, everyone has said it should be ok as long as i keep him well fed lol

jtt

man if i got that size tank, i would load like 300 seahorses in there.
no i wouldnt.
maybe a huge peacock mantis shrimp? yeah, that would be awesome

kjr_trig

Nice Bio, that should be fun.
Just one overflow huh? Since its acrylic, how tough would it be to add more? Other than that you will need some serious powerheads.

ironeagle2006

Get a pair of Korilla 8's for circulation that will really help also. Combinded you will get 6400 GPH out of the pair. I envy you I would not even be able to get that into the door.

R

rcreations

That's gonna be a beauty! Good luck with it, I look forward to seeing the progress pictures.
One question though... how does the original owner feed his fish or clean the tank? Look how close the top is to the ceiling. There's no way you can even get your arm in there.

bioneck47

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2849011
Nice Bio, that should be fun.
Just one overflow huh? Since its acrylic, how tough would it be to add more? Other than that you will need some serious powerheads.
I don't think it would be too bad adding another overflow or two. I was actually considering that, I just gotta wait and see what I got when I get the tank.

bioneck47

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/2849042
That's gonna be a beauty! Good luck with it, I look forward to seeing the progress pictures.
One question though... how does the original owner feed his fish or clean the tank? Look how close the top is to the ceiling. There's no way you can even get your arm in there.
yeah I was thinking the same thing, but he hired a guy that works for petsmart to go in and clean everything and it looks like the ceiling has removable panels. Here's an old picture he sent me...
Attachment 214220
Attachment 214221

bioneck47

Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
http:///forum/post/2849015
Get a pair of Korilla 8's for circulation that will really help also. Combinded you will get 6400 GPH out of the pair.
yeah I might have to do that, but I'm gonna wait to see what I've got before.

ca161406

i would start making some artificial LR hahaha 800lbs at $5 a lb. ...eeek 4000 just in LR!!!! bust out the portland cement

crimzy

Originally Posted by bioneck47
http:///forum/post/2849212
yeah I was thinking the same thing, but he hired a guy that works for petsmart to go in and clean everything and it looks like the ceiling has removable panels. Here's an old picture he sent me...
Attachment 214220
Attachment 214221
Just wanted to give you a bump because that tank IS SICK!!! I'm extremely jealous.
If you need any advice during the build regarding plumbing, reinforcing the floor, filtration, etc., just let me know as I recently finished my own project.
In the immortal words of the Miller Lite commercial... DUUUUUUUDDDDE!

It's going to be amazing.

spiderwoman

That is a gorgeous tank for sure!!!! For skimming I would probably have a few custom made skimmers or go for the big boys... Bubble King. We have a member in our club who builds custom skimmers and they have been awesome in large tanks.

nwdyr

OK....Is this rude......how much did the tank cost
I didn't see anyone else ask , sorry if its too personal , but that was the first question that came to me!