I'm in Algae Purgatory, HELP!!!!

aquaknight

Originally Posted by 95Harley
http:///forum/post/3263777
Interesting as I have a MJ 1200 laying around. Strange it doesn't say what size tank it is rated for. Think one with just GFO can handle a 240g?
Yea. Most phosban reactors are only ever 1/5-1/4 full. I would start there, in order not to shock the system, and eventually increase to about half.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by 95Harley
http:///forum/post/3264101
I'm ordering one now. Next question do you prefer GFO or Rowaphos?
I hear good things about ROWA.
It is my understanding that GFO and ROWA are the same thing, ferric oxide, I believe one is just pelletized, and ROWAphos might have a special coating in it, IIRC. They are both iron in composition, which is what you want. Stay away from aluminum based phosphate removers. The high capacity GFO from BRS seems to be the best deal.
If you are up for some reading, check your PM.

novahobbies

Just came in to this thread. I had a problem with red turf algae, and found that BRS site too. I use the reactor they recommend and their GFO, and I've seen my algae population practically melt away.
It doesn't treat the root problem, but it definitely helps keep the phosphates in check. I have a 100g tank, and I run 1 cup of GFO in the reactor cheanged every couple o' months.

nycbob

get a dolebella sea hare. if not, another method i read that is effective is magnesium dosing, but only effective with kent tech-m. raise it slowly to 1700-1800 level in a course of a week and having a test kit while doing so is important. hair algae or bryopsis will melt away once the desire level is reached.

meowzer

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3264938
get a dolebella sea hare. if not, another method i read that is effective is magnesium dosing, but only effective with kent tech-m. raise it slowly to 1700-1800 level in a course of a week and having a test kit while doing so is important. hair algae or bryopsis will melt away once the desire level is reached.
My sea-hare just died :( I have 3 tanks, and NO algae(anymore...I had lots when I got the seahare)...i tried algae sheets, but it would not eat off them...so get a seahare if you can trade it in after you algae is done :(
About the magnesium....I have also heard that it will kill it off..BUT I have also read that inverts can not tolerate the higher amounts, so if you go that route....be careful how high you go

95harley

GFO and BRS reactor ordered - CHECK (Awaiting Delivery)
Purchase Tech M - Check (Preparing to start dosing)
Lights reduced to blues only for 6hr a day - Check (Temporary Solution)
Suck it out - Check (Water made and standing by)
Stay Tuned

nikesb

treating with tech m, you actually need your lights on. having it lighted actually makes the bryopsis take in the mg and kill it. those that were shaded, in my case, survived the mg treatment

keith gray

Flower,
When you say rinse the frozen food what do you mean. I soak my frozen cubes in water from tank and maybe add some garlic guard. Then I feed with baster. Do you just rinse it off with RO water real quick then drop it in other wtaer or what ?
If you have a simple way to reduce phosphates throught proper feeding I am all for it.
thanks

keith gray

Someboedy help. For weeks now I can only reply to threads. When I try to start a new thread no text box comes up.
I have sent a couple of emails to saltwaterfish.com but no one will reply to me. I can not enjoy this site like used to !
Any ideas ?!!!

bang guy

Originally Posted by Keith Gray
http:///forum/post/3269797
Someboedy help. For weeks now I can only reply to threads. When I try to start a new thread no text box comes up.
I have sent a couple of emails to saltwaterfish.com but no one will reply to me. I can not enjoy this site like used to !
Any ideas ?!!!
I'm having the same issue today.

keith gray

If you figure it out let me know. Until then I don't know what else to do. I don't want to continue to hijack threads over this