I'm undecided about snails. Id like to hear some input and thoughts.

king_neptune

Since I'm undecided about snails Id like to hear some input and thoughts on this subject.
I like the Bumble Bee,Nerite,and Nassarius Snails.
Astrea Snails were also recomended to me, but they look so boring.
My post cycle cleanup crew on my new 125 build will consist of:
5 Emerald
5 skunk shrimp
*unknown snail group/numbers*
And if they do well,1 yellow watchman Goby after about a month.

meowzer

Nassarius are different...you never see them until time to eat...and when food hits...here they come out from under the sand...

geoj

I like Astrea Snails they eat many types of algae. But you do have to save the ones that fall in the sand.
I also like Ceriths
Nassarius good at eating leftover meaty foods
#1 Astrea
#2 Ceriths

nycbob

i personally like the nass. and turbo snails. the bumblebee snails, i hv heard eat other snails. 5 skunks r a lot to begin with. i'd add 2 at a time.

Boring or not, I think snails provide an invaluable service as part of your cleanup crew. A good mixture of different types will help you keep your tank in good shape. Here's a list of my favorite snails and what they eat.
Nassarius - Detritus, uneaten food, decaying organics, and fish waste.
Cerith - Detritus, uneaten food, fish waste, and algae.
Nerite - Film algae, cyano and diatoms
Astrea - Algae (including hair algae), cyano and diatoms

C

cmaxwell39

I agree that snails are an important part of your clean-up crew. They may not be the most exciting critters in the tank, but they do a job and do it well.

bizzmoneyb

Originally Posted by ChaoticDamsel
http:///forum/post/2964750
Boring or not, I think snails provide an invaluable service as part of your cleanup crew. A good mixture of different types will help you keep your tank in good shape. Here's a list of my favorite snails and what they eat.
agreed

king_neptune

http:///forum/post/2964750
I dont want a massive cleanup crew as I believe that is not only a waste, but they over polute the tank. That is why I have chosen a small amount to do the job.
I am open to the idea of multiple types of snails. What would you consider to be a good amount of each type for my 125DT?
And ya I agree about the skunk shimp comment earlier, I was actually going to start with three myself, then add 2 more later, around the time I add the goby.

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/2964879
I dont want a massive cleanup crew as I believe that is not only a waste, but they over polute the tank. That is why I have chosen a small amount to do the job.
I am open to the idea of multiple types of snails. What would you consider to be a good amount of each type for my 125DT?
And ya I agree about the skunk shimp comment earlier, I was actually going to start with three myself, then add 2 more later, around the time I add the goby.
I don't agree with the over polluting the tank idea. It is my understanding that one average sized fish will pollute your tank more than your whole cleanup crew combined (even a large clean up crew). In general, inverts don't even really count when it comes to the bioload a tank can handle.
However, the size of your cleanup crew is somewhat up to personal preference, so if you want to stick with a small one, that is your choice. However, I suspect you'll end up having to do a lot more work yourself to keep the tank clean than you would if you had a larger cleanup crew.
How many of each type you should put in your 125 gallon is kind of a guessing game. If we are talking about a mature, fully stocked reef system with a full bioload of fish, then I would say 125 or more snails total, somewhat equally distributed between the various types. But that's for a mature system. Your cleanup crew should start off small and grow as your tank grows. Otherwise, there isn't enough food for the snails and such and they die.
I would start off with a few snails of each type and then add more as needed. If you notice detritus building up on the sand, add a few more nassarius and cerith snails. If your astreas and nerites can't keep up with the algae on the glass, add a few more. Your best bet is to build your cleanup crew based on the observed needs of your tank rather than on numbers.

cranberry

http:///forum/post/2964899
I would start off with a few snails of each type and then add more as needed. If you notice detritus building up on the sand, add a few more nassarius and cerith snails. If your astreas and nerites can't keep up with the algae on the glass, add a few more. Your best bet is to build your cleanup crew based on the observed needs of your tank rather than on numbers.
+1 x 1000

king_neptune

http:///forum/post/2964899
I don't agree with the over polluting the tank idea. It is my understanding that one average sized fish will pollute your tank more than your whole cleanup crew combined (even a large clean up crew). In general, inverts don't even really count when it comes to the bioload a tank can handle.
However, the size of your cleanup crew is somewhat up to personal preference, so if you want to stick with a small one, that is your choice. However, I suspect you'll end up having to do a lot more work yourself to keep the tank clean than you would if you had a larger cleanup crew.

Its a matter of what forum you go to. Ill have a dozen people tell me the exact opposite, on the forum next door. I take it all with a grain of salt and will have to discover for myself what works. The way I see it...I can always start off small and increase it as the bio load increases.So thanks for the help. Ill probably start with about 25 or so assorted snails.

gmann1139

As far as the Emerald and Cleaner Shrimp go, I wouldn't add them right after your cycle. They can be somewhat sensitive to water conditions.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by gmann1139
http:///forum/post/2965528
As far as the Emerald and Cleaner Shrimp go, I wouldn't add them right after your cycle. They can be somewhat sensitive to water conditions.
OK, sounds good...what would you do? Snails first for a couple weeks then crabs and shrimp?

pezenfuego

It really depends how your tank looks. If there is a lot of snail food, I'll go ahead and add some snails. If there is nothing for them to eat, then you can go ahead and add your fish first. I never add the entire crew at once...but that's just me.
Ceriths are my personal favorite as far as snails go. Not a big fan of turbos...they are too bulky...but then again I have a nano and you won't have to worry about them ruining your aquascape like I do.
Nass snails are almost a must...at least for me lol. I wonder sometimes what color my sand would be without them.

pbnj

I have a mix because they all have their strengths.
Ceriths for under the sand, nerites for the glass, and turbos for the rocks. Yes, turbos are bulldozers, but I like that because they force me to make everything stable.
Don't forget the important hermits. Go with the Mexican Red-Legged hermits (not Scarlets). No fighting/killing with snails.

gmann1139

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/2965599
OK, sounds good...what would you do? Snails first for a couple weeks then crabs and shrimp?
Snails and hermit crabs are nearly bulletproof, so they can go in right after the cycle. After a couple weeks, then you can think about fish or the 'ornamental' inverts.

pbnj

Originally Posted by gmann1139
http:///forum/post/2965694
Snails and hermit crabs are nearly bulletproof, so they can go in right after the cycle. After a couple weeks, then you can think about fish or the 'ornamental' inverts.
I wouldn't go so far as to say snails are bulletproof. Many people post here saying they can't even keep snails alive.

blayz77

got a question about hermits, i just added 4 scarlets today and one of them seems to be upside down as i type this. i am assuming since i know hermit crabs can leave their shell for a new one, that they can also flip themselfs upright when they want to?