in need of help, fish keep dying.

callmechris

Hey guys I'm having a very difficult time trying to figure out what's wrong with my tank. My tank has been set up for 3 months and my fish keep dying after a few days.
My water test fine to me and my LFS. It's a 125g with 160lbs of live sand, 100lbs of live rock, t5 light, 2 hob filters, a protein skimmer.

My water test are.

Tenp 87
Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Salinity 1.23

They act normal the first few days then they start to breathe heavily, loose color then die.
They get white spots on then but I can't picture it being ich.

zoidberg01

There could be metals or something u put in the tank or poorly oxigenated water, those are deaths that take 3 days max

callmechris

I've tried a dog face puffer, powder blue tang, clownfish. Everything was good for a month until my anemone got killed from my power head, did a 50%water change a day later not knowing it lets off toxins when it get cut up. Ever since then my tank went down hill. I'm not sure what else to test for.

geridoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmechris http:///t/397444/in-need-of-help-fish-keep-dying#post_3542309
Hey guys I'm having a very difficult time trying to figure out what's wrong with my tank. My tank has been set up for 3 months and my fish keep dying after a few days.
My water test fine to me and my LFS. It's a 125g with 160lbs of live sand, 100lbs of live rock, t5 light, 2 hob filters, a protein skimmer.

My water test are.

Tenp 87
Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Salinity 1.23

They act normal the first few days then they start to breathe heavily, loose color then die.
They get white spots on then but I can't picture it being ich.
Do you really mean that the temperature in the tank is 87? If so, that's the problem.

callmechris

Do you really mean that the temperature in the tank is 87?  If so, that's the problem.
Oh wow good catch a didn't catch my mess up, the tank temperature is 78

flower

What about power heads to move the water? I don't see any in your list of equipment...the water current is the life of the ocean, and your saltwater tank. Saltwater has less oxygen then freshwater, so it's very important to have good water flow for gas exchange. If there is not enough water movement, the lack of oxygen (with no ammonia reading as a cause) might explain the reason your fish are breathing so hard, that kind of stress would cause them to lose color and disease (white patches) would quickly follow.

callmechris

What about power heads to move the water? I don't see any in your list of equipment...the water current is the life of the ocean, and your saltwater tank. Saltwater has less oxygen then freshwater, so it's very important to have good water flow for gas exchange. If there is not enough water movement, the lack of oxygen (with no ammonia reading as a cause) might explain the reason your fish are breathing so hard, that kind of stress would cause them to lose color and disease (white patches) would quickly follow.
I have 2 jebao wp25`s in the tank

callmechris

What about power heads to move the water? I don't see any in your list of equipment...the water current is the life of the ocean, and your saltwater tank. Saltwater has less oxygen then freshwater, so it's very important to have good water flow for gas exchange. If there is not enough water movement, the lack of oxygen (with no ammonia reading as a cause) might explain the reason your fish are breathing so hard, that kind of stress would cause them to lose color and disease (white patches) would quickly follow.
you might be right with that, my tank started going down hill a few days after adding my anemone. When I added him in the tank the power heads were pushing him around the tank so I turned the power heads to the lowest settings, few days later one by one they die. I just turned the power heads back to full power so I'll see how that goes.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmechris http:///t/397444/in-need-of-help-fish-keep-dying#post_3543536
you might be right with that, my tank started going down hill a few days after adding my anemone. When I added him in the tank the power heads were pushing him around the tank so I turned the power heads to the lowest settings, few days later one by one they die. I just turned the power heads back to full power so I'll see how that goes.

Hi,

Your anemone needs the good flow as well.... cover all power heads and intake tubes to keep it from getting sucked up. It may have found it's happy place but it could go on the move at any time, and since you have now changed the water flow it's a possibility it will start moving around again, so keep them covered.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond300 http:///t/397444/in-need-of-help-fish-keep-dying#post_3543863
Check your temp! 78-80.........yours is 87? Fish fry

That was a typo.

But as far as 87 being a fish fry I would ask that you take a look at one of the most diverse reef systems in the world. 87 really is a fairly common surface temperature for the Southern Red Sea during the Summer and the animals adapt to it just fine.

I'm not saying I recommend 87 as a tank temp...