in need of help, fish keep dying.

silverado61

Just a thought but did you take the powerhead out and clean it after the anemone got chewed up by it? You might have pieces of it lodged inside and rotting.

callmechris

Yeah I gave it a good cleaning. I've been running some carbon and turned my powerheads on full blast. I hope it was just loss of oxygen from when I turned my powerheads down. Got a few clownfish today so I'm gonna see how things go.

Temp is way too high I also have a 125 gallon tank
Best temp is 80 f tops
It keeps them stress free
If it's a life rock and fish only tank salinity 1.020 is fine also
But you need to keep the water oxygenated
Buy a little fan or wave maker to keep the water oxygenated
And make sure when you buy new fish assimilate rite

No 78 is around target temp the lfs keep there tanks around 76 f
but ich stays dormant around those temps
It's best to keep it around 80
It speeds the life cycle of ich
Plus corals and invertebrates like hotter temp
It increases their metabolisms along with your fish
But 86 is way too high no oxygen in tank

silverado61

Forgive me for sounding rude but for someone who was asking for advise on how to cure ich two days ago, do you really think its wise to start giving out advice about it?

I have been reading and on the computer non stop about ich I think no one knows what they are talking about
Everyone tries to work off partial fact and opinions
I got that from not one but three fish store managers in big companies
If one said it maybe I would be skeptical
But I read it and I heard so it must be partially true

geridoc

I have been reading and on the computer non stop about ich I think no one knows what they are talking about
Everyone tries to work off partial fact and opinions
I got that from not one but three fish store managers in big companies
If one said it maybe I would be skeptical
But I read it and I heard so it must be partially trueHere's the science:
1. Increasing temperature can speed the cryptocaryon life cycle. This is a bad thing if there is no medication, such as copper, to kill the tomite stage. Otherwise the faster cycle just leads to higher infection rates.
2. The infection probably kills by damaging the gills. Raising the temperature lowers the solubility of oxygen in the water, a perfect storm of less absorption and less availability of oxygen.

That's why you keep the temp up so ich is in your water it pops up quicker making it a 7 day cycle then 76 making it lasts longer in its life cycle if you have a tank you should always have meds
Para guArd by seachem no copper but malachite green a effective enemy of ich
And adding a sterilizer to help fight off ich during its swimming stage may be not killing it but immobilizing them then your water changes and vacuum vacuum your gravel and live rock

silverado61

That's why you keep the temp up so ich is in your water it pops up quicker making it a 7 day cycle then 76 making it lasts longer in its life cycle if you have a tank you should always have meds
Para guArd by seachem no copper but malachite green a effective enemy of ich
And adding a sterilizer to help fight off ich during its swimming stage may be not killing it but immobilizing them then your water changes and vacuum vacuum your gravel and live rockyou pretty much just told someone with more than 40 plus years experience in saltwater tanks not to mention a chemist that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

trigger40

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmechris http:///t/397444/in-need-of-help-fish-keep-dying/20#post_3543892
Yeah I gave it a good cleaning. I've been running some carbon and turned my powerheads on full blast. I hope it was just loss of oxygen from when I turned my powerheads down. Got a few clownfish today so I'm gonna see how things go.
i have been reading the post sorry for what has happend and i am willing to bet a pritty penny ther is not enough oxyen in your tank. but i am stuned that the two HOB filters arent enough, how far do you keep the out flow of your filters from the water, i like to keep mine just about half way up the out flow so it moves the surface around and with thouse powerheads you will be set. also you can test for disolved oxygen (DO) if you are willing to spend the 12 hundred it cost for it lol. i believe the critical level of DO is 4ppm but i dont think its worth the investment because its not too difficult to figure out if that is the problem. oh and how are your clowns doing?

callmechris

Today is day number 11 with 2 clownfish, things are looking good with no fading colors or gasping for breathe, no white spots. I'm not getting to happy yet but it looks like it was just a case of not enough oxygen. As for the white spots I don't really think it was ich, maybe something to do with not enough oxygen. I will keep an update on how there doing. After a month or so with them doing good I'll buy another fish. Thanks everyone for the help it's much appreciated for someone just starting saltwater. Later today I'll upload a picture of my tank.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger40 http:///t/397444/in-need-of-help-fish-keep-dying/20#post_3544656
i have been reading the post sorry for what has happend and i am willing to bet a pritty penny ther is not enough oxyen in your tank. but i am stuned that the two HOB filters arent enough, how far do you keep the out flow of your filters from the water, i like to keep mine just about half way up the out flow so it moves the surface around and with thouse powerheads you will be set. also you can test for disolved oxygen (DO) if you are willing to spend the 12 hundred it cost for it lol. i believe the critical level of DO is 4ppm but i dont think its worth the investment because its not too difficult to figure out if that is the problem. oh and how are your clowns doing?

Hi,

I have 2 HOB filters on my tank...set up high and really making a splash...and I'm telling you it is not enough. You have to have power heads, the wave is the life of the ocean, and the life of your fish tank as well. I see folks on here all the time thinking the HOB filter, cascading water into the tank is enough movement, and it just isn't so. There is less oxygen in SW, and the warmer water, causes even less oxygen levels. I have NEVER heard that lack of oxygen could cause white salt like spots that mimic the looks of ich. That's a new one on me.

Do you guys know what and ASKHOLE is?... It's a person who asks for advice and doesn't follow it, they just waste every ones time. The name of the thread is "in need of HELP, fish keep dying" and yet no matter what is said, you guys tell us what you decided to do in spite of all advice given. If you didn't need any help, because you know it all already, why ask for it?

I'm not mad, just a little confused as to why anyone asked for advice in the first place.

callmechris

Hi,
I have 2 HOB filters on my tank...set up high and really making a splash...and I'm telling you it is not enough. You have to have power heads, the wave is the life of the ocean, and the life of your fish tank as well. I see folks on here all the time thinking the HOB filter, cascading water into the tank is enough movement, and it just isn't so. There is less oxygen in SW, and the warmer water, causes even less oxygen levels. I have NEVER heard that lack of oxygen could cause white salt like spots that mimic the looks of ich. That's a new one on me.
Do you guys know what and ASKHOLE is?... It's a person who asks for advice and doesn't follow it, they just waste every ones time. The name of the thread is "in need of HELP, fish keep dying" and yet no matter what is said, you guys tell us what you decided to do in spite of all advice given. If you didn't need any help, because you know it all already, why ask for it?
I'm not mad, just a little confused as to why anyone asked for advice in the first place.
Okay so what advice didn't I take?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmechris http:///t/397444/in-need-of-help-fish-keep-dying/20#post_3544670
Okay so what advice didn't I take?

Hi,

I may be the one confused, it's not hard to do these days.. LOL... I thought we were discussing ich, raising the temps...then you said you would wait a few weeks and add fish. I answer many posts about ich and I always advise to remove the fish for 8 weeks so the parasite can die off without a host. Then Mr.saltwater jumps in with the parasite dying within a few days and using a UV sterilizer.

I went back and read from the beginning and you were not talking about ich, but oxygen. Trigger talked about a HOB being good enough without power heads, and Mr. saltwater gives advice about ich and raising temps when I really don't think he knows what he's talking about... I got frustrated...forgive me please.