Internal vs external pumps

mkroher

I use a 30gal Rubbermaid bin to prepare water for water changes. To mix the water I used a MagDrive 24 submersed in the bin. The pump is less than a year old, and does not run 24/7.
One day I no longer heard the pump running. I opened the lid, and it smelled of a horrible odor. The pump had failed, and leaked oil into the water. What if this was my display tank? Surely it would be a reason to quit the hobby and start collecting bottle caps or something.
For my next tank build, I will use all external pumps. Period.
If anyone is in the process of building/buying/thinking of a tank, consider my story when designing the plumbing.
-Mike

flower

A very good point, but what can we do instead of a power head? Mine are pretty old and ready to be replaced. I already had issues with an old heater.

flower

Those are ridiculously priced, the MP40 is over $400.00 There has to be a way to have one of those big external pumps and run lines that push water through circulating everything and making a nice current. I wish I was handy and could make stuff like that.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382554/internal-vs-external-pumps#post_3339622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/thread/382554/internal-vs-external-pumps#post_3339621

Those are ridiculously priced, the MP40 is over $400.00 There has to be a way to have one of those big external pumps and run lines that push water through circulating everything and making a nice current. I wish I was handy and could make stuff like that.
Which is why I don;t have any LOL

Maybe we can get our heroes on the site to design something with the plumbing. Tell them what we need and let them at it. I have full confidence they can figure a way.

btldreef

This is just another reason why I spent the money on the MP40w's and have an external pump waiting for my tank move.
IMO, the MP40's and all the EcoTech's are high priced, but I found that $300-$400 was worth it when considering how much I've invested in my corals and fish. To me, it was like insurance. Same thing with the external pump/sump I just bought. It was very expensive compared to a submersible one, but to me, it's security. I'm trying to get all the electronics OUT of the tank, period. I don't want oil leaks, stray current, etc.
For my water change buckets, I use beaten up Koralias that used to be in my tank. I keep having to take different ones apart and piecing new ones together to make a working powerhead. Seems that if they're left out of water, even for a few days, they don't work as well, even if they get the salt rinsed off them.

mkroher

What (affordable) alternatives are there for heaters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/382554/internal-vs-external-pumps#post_3339670
This is just another reason why I spent the money on the MP40w's and have an external pump waiting for my tank move.
IMO, the MP40's and all the EcoTech's are high priced, but I found that $300-$400 was worth it when considering how much I've invested in my corals and fish. To me, it was like insurance. Same thing with the external pump/sump I just bought. It was very expensive compared to a submersible one, but to me, it's security. I'm trying to get all the electronics OUT of the tank, period. I don't want oil leaks, stray current, etc.
For my water change buckets, I use beaten up Koralias that used to be in my tank. I keep having to take different ones apart and piecing new ones together to make a working powerhead. Seems that if they're left out of water, even for a few days, they don't work as well, even if they get the salt rinsed off them.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/382554/internal-vs-external-pumps#post_3339670

I agree we spend so much on our corals and fish, and it's just smart to get all the electric out of the tank, but I have 4 Korilia power heads in my tank...to replace them with MP40s that's a little over $1600.00 just to move water around. There has to be a better than what I have but cheaper way than getting 4 MP40s.
Which reminds me...I have kept up with what I have spent this year on my SWF hobby, but I can't find Cranberrys thread where we were keeping tabs.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/382554/internal-vs-external-pumps#post_3339677
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/thread/382554/internal-vs-external-pumps#post_3339670

I agree we spend so much on our corals and fish, and it's just smart to get all the electric out of the tank, but I have 4 Korilia power heads in my tank...to replace them with MP40s that's a little over $1600.00 just to move water around. There has to be a better than what I have but cheaper way than getting 4 MP40s.
Which reminds me...I have kept up with what I have spent this year on my SWF hobby, but I can't find Cranberrys thread where we were keeping tabs.
I quit keeping tabs on tank expenses, I stay happier that way.
As for MPs -vs- Koralias, I *think* 2 MP40s would more than replace 4 Koralias. I've looked at the videos of MP10s and 40s and am sold. I will be changing out my Koralias for a pair of MP10s as early next year as I can. The programmability, surge/wave and detritus suspension is what I lust for in powerheads. A much smaller profile in the tank is very important to me as well.

flower

I will Google MP10s and see what they run. I am trying to buy my little house and indulge in my hobby at the same time. I think I like my fish tank best but I need the house to keep it out of the rain. I like running 4 so I can be sure to reach all areas in the tank.
So far this year I have spent: $3,671.63 Since I’m not married and answer to nobody but myself..keeping tabs on my spending doesn’t bother me. LOL…I used to hide it when I was with Dan. I would say I spent a little over a $200.00. He finally wised up and asked how much over…Then I had to fess up…$99.00

LOL..I also used to tell him I spent so much on this and stuff…He would tell me it was the “and stuff” that worried him.

flower

I found MP10s online from ***** for $220.00 each or a little over $800.00 for 4 of them ... much better than a little over $1600.00 ..Totally doable! I love this site..you guys/gals are so helpful..Thank You!

acrylic51

I agree about the Vortech's nice but rather salty, but it's a price we pay as Mentioned above. I've had a mad this past summer do the exact thing, but I neglected the pump and figured it overheated and causin it's failure but Mags are good pumps and feel they are perfectly fine for mixing water.
With that said that is another reason I am not a fan of the Mags for main pumps. They are easy to install, but with the prices of everything today, I'd rather spend a little more up front and save long term. All pumps cool themselves. Most be it through heat transfer to our tank water and Mags are very good at transferring heat. Another is electrical consulting which is on everyones minds these days, an sometimes people depending on head might need 2. Personally I prefer external pumps and always have. My personal choice is Sequence/Reeflo pumps very minimal heat transfer to your DT, and can move tons of water, an power multiple items, and guess what just about ad energy efficient as those Mag pumps. Yes for the water they move and the mere fact that when throttled back, they actually down spin the motors thereby reducing electrical consumption. Can Mags do that? NO!!!! Another important feature is the Baldor motors are repairable, unlike the others per say. They are also not strained by being throttled down on the output side as most people advise against due to premature wear on the pump.
Again as mentioned earlier look at how much we spend and care about what we put into our tanks. Think hard and look for efficient, quality equipment.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/382554/internal-vs-external-pumps#post_3339686
I found MP10s online from ***** for $220.00 each or a little over $800.00 for 4 of them ... much better than a little over $1600.00 ..Totally doable! I love this site..you guys/gals are so helpful..Thank You!
Flower....why would you need 4????? The whole point is to ELIMINATE.....for instance I have 6 Koralias, they are telling me with 1 MP40....I can replace all (maybe) of them

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/382554/internal-vs-external-pumps#post_3340427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/thread/382554/internal-vs-external-pumps#post_3339686
Flower....why would you need 4????? The whole point is to ELIMINATE.....for instance I have 6 Koralias, they are telling me with 1 MP40....I can replace all (maybe) of them

Wouldn't it be hard to direct where you want your flow? I always thought small power heads were better than one big one.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/382554/internal-vs-external-pumps#post_3340429

Wouldn't it be hard to direct where you want your flow? I always thought small power heads were better than one big one.
From what they are telling me......these MP's....have some weird current....LOL....
BTLD has 1 MP40 in her 155G tank and has NO dead spots.....
SO I figure with my 2 top flow bars, and sump return i should be able to use 1 MP40 instead of 6 PH's....or at least eliminate 4 PH's
I'm also confused and skeptical Flower LOL

gemmy

The mp's work more efficiently and effectively than our standard powerheads. They also offer different settings for replicating waves and currents.