Is an octopus an invert?

uberlink

Do you have an octopus, or are you considering getting one for yourself? I don't mean to seem rude, but if you don't know that an octopus is an invert, you may be too inexperienced to care for one. They are extremely challenging and require a very specialized tank.

fish1031

i am reading up... i don't have one yet but am going to get one... i did not know anything really but i've learned a lot today from talking to the lfs and reading online. I plan to get one in about a month or so.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by fish1031
lol im not getting one of those
Good idea, they need a tank all to themselves, cool creature though! But for experts only IMO.

fish1031

they are so amazing. i spent about a 1/2 hour today watching two of them... one had eggs it was amazing... why do you say they are for experts only? are they delicate? (not hearty)

sepulatian

Originally Posted by fish1031
they are so amazing. i spent about a 1/2 hour today watching two of them... one had eggs it was amazing... why do you say they are for experts only? are they delicate? (not hearty)
They need PRESTINE water quality and if you have a male they spew um.............stuff into the water that will degrade it immensly. If you want one, research the heck out of them and have a tank just for him/her. They will kill all tank mates and are escape ARTISTS, so have a very secure lid with no spots for him to potentialy escape. :happyfish

fish1031

well i will try for a female... i have a 29g for just the octopus with a secure fitted lid and duck tape. As for the Pristine water conditions what do you mean... keep the parameters good.. my lfs told me they should have a red reptile infared light as they cannot see that light and will be more active... should they have lr?

michaeltx

if the female laid eggs she is going to die soon from my understanding. its a one time think with octos the reproduce she gaurds the eggs till they hatch during that time she will not eat and then die soon after wards. atleast thats what I have read on them.
Mike

sepulatian

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
if the female laid eggs she is going to die soon from my understanding. its a one time think with octos the reproduce she gaurds the eggs till they hatch during that time she will not eat and then die soon after wards. atleast thats what I have read on them.
Mike
Yep, me as well. The females don't live long. I was told 6 months by my distributor, probably longer, but not a long life span.