Is it possible to have a sump w/o drilling holes in my tank?

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/380059/is-it-possible-to-have-a-sump-w-o-drilling-holes-in-my-tank#post_3306529
I just watched the video.....and still not 100% sure how it works.....do you have to run the pump on it all the time???
No you don't have to leave it running. I think most people just leave it connected though. It is much easier than the eshop that have the U tubes. I'd go with the CPR102 and either an Ehiem 1262 return pump or a Mag 9.5 for your 125G tank.

meowzer

WELL I guess if I ever have the need to change mine

but as I said before.....I have never had an issue

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnlisa http:///forum/thread/380059/is-it-possible-to-have-a-sump-w-o-drilling-holes-in-my-tank/20#post_3306544

Ditto on that. So there is no chance of draining your tank then? What is better sump or canister? What are the pros and cons of a sump?
LOL....you got the wrong person to answer tech questions.....and I have the sump/fuge and canister

I use my canisters for flow and to house chemipure elite.....I have the spray bars on each canister...one on each end. I have excellent top water movement

scottnlisa

Just seems to complicated for me. Think I'll stick to getting the Fluval FX5 canister for my second filtration unit.

2quills

Sumps

Pros:

They add extra water volume to your system which is good because you have more time to catch problems before they get out of control. They are flexible, you can run a skimmer inside of them which is cheaper than an external skimmer usually. You can create a refugium in them to grow macro algea to consume nitrate and breed pods which is a great way to feed fish in your tank for cheap and add extra CUC. It's also a good place to put heaters so they're not an eyesore inside the tank. You can dose for minerals in them. Put your fish in time out in them. Pluss a few other things that escape me ATM.

Cons:

Chance of flooding if you don't know what you're doing. They take up alot of space under the stand. Other than that there aren't a whole lot of cons to having a sump, they can be excellent ways to filter a tank.

Canisters

Pros:

Simple to set up. Not much of a chance of flooding anything with a canister.

Cons:

They don't do much to add any extra water volume to the tank. You can't set up a refugium inside of them. Can't hide equipment in them (heaters mainly). You'd have to buy an external protien skimmer.

Those are just some reasons...I'm sure other folks can add a few things the lists. A properly set up sump/refugium is the way to go by most peoples standards for reef.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnlisa http:///forum/thread/380059/is-it-possible-to-have-a-sump-w-o-drilling-holes-in-my-tank/20#post_3306555
Just seems to complicated for me. Think I'll stick to getting the Fluval FX5 canister for my second filtration unit.
LOL...If I can do it anyone can......the people here can really guide you....2quills is good at that, so is Acrylic51, Posiden....etc...

Just ask....they will help you figure it out.....it's really not that hard....I just suck at explaining things

salty-fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/380059/is-it-possible-to-have-a-sump-w-o-drilling-holes-in-my-tank/20#post_3306558
LOL...If I can do it anyone can......the people here can really guide you....2quills is good at that, so is Acrylic51, Posiden....etc...

Just ask....they will help you figure it out.....it's really not that hard....I just suck at explaining things
I am just worried about flooding. Price wise isn't really that bad. Just flooding scares me.

BTW, I switched names.

2quills

It's probably best to stick with your canister for now, until you feel comfortable with doing a sump and really know how you want to set it up. There's always time for research.

salty-fish

I feel comfortable if people help me match up the components that I need to install it. I was just really worried about flooding. But it sounds like it won't happen

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty-Fish http:///forum/thread/380059/is-it-possible-to-have-a-sump-w-o-drilling-holes-in-my-tank/20#post_3306619
I feel comfortable if people help me match up the components that I need to install it. I was just really worried about flooding. But it sounds like it won't happen
Never use the word won't in this hobby lol. Whenever you're dealing with water in a tank in your house...anything can happen. Overflows are prone to flooding a tank for a couple of reasons,...they either get blocked up or they lose syphon...both of which can flood your tank. An improperly set up return in your tank in conjunction with not enough room in your sump can also flood your sump. A drilled tank is much more reliable. Equipment is a matter of personal choice. For an overflow I say go with a CPR...for a return pump I say Ehiem are the most reliable but Mags are a popular choice for price. Reef Octopuss are a popular skimmer for the price as well.

I'd say check out some videos of sumps on U-tube to get an idea of how different people set up their systems. It's much easier to get an idea of how a system works when you can actually see it in action.