Is it possible to have a sump w/o drilling holes in my tank?

meowzer

Every time I do a w/c in my 225G. I run A brush down the hoses that lead to the sump

I also make sure the teeth in my overflow are free of algae too

These are 2 little things you can do to make sure you have no blockages

salty-fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/380059/is-it-possible-to-have-a-sump-w-o-drilling-holes-in-my-tank/20#post_3306638

Never use the word won't in this hobby lol. Whenever you're dealing with water in a tank in your house...anything can happen. Overflows are prone to flooding a tank for a couple of reasons,...they either get blocked up or they lose syphon...both of which can flood your tank. An improperly set up return in your tank in conjunction with not enough room in your sump can also flood your sump. A drilled tank is much more reliable. Equipment is a matter of personal choice. For an overflow I say go with a CPR...for a return pump I say Ehiem are the most reliable but Mags are a popular choice for price. Reef Octopuss are a popular skimmer for the price as well.

I'd say check out some videos of sumps on U-tube to get an idea of how different people set up their systems. It's much easier to get an idea of how a system works when you can actually see it in action.
I will check out Youtube. I have a couple months to make a decision so I have plenty of time to research. Just wanted to get some info.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/380059/is-it-possible-to-have-a-sump-w-o-drilling-holes-in-my-tank/40#post_3306639
Every time I do a w/c in my 225G. I run A brush down the hoses that lead to the sump

I also make sure the teeth in my overflow are free of algae too

These are 2 little things you can do to make sure you have no blockages
I would do that too, you know what sucked for me, the damn Coral Beauty. No matter what I did to keep that fish out of the overflow box, she'd figure out how to get in there, get to close and get sucked through. I still have no idea how that fish fit in that damn U tube, but she did it more than once.

To the OP, I know you have a fluval right now. I actually run my system with a sump, a refugium AND a fluval.