Is Jesus God?

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by uneverno
http:///forum/post/3038767
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
The movie addresses the question. (The addendum deals w/ the monetary system.)
Both are a long slog, but fascinating.
I figured I had a few hours to waste. I learned more from this video than I have from an entire quarter at school...which just helps prove what is illustrated in the video. It was very good to say the least, thanks for sharing.

uneverno

You're welcome.
Don't take it too seriously though. It's a point of view, nothing more.
I'm more about food for thought than I am concrete belief.
I haven't been here long enough to know that I know anything.

pezenfuego

http:///forum/post/3038941
You're welcome.
Don't take it too seriously though. It's a point of view, nothing more.
I'm more about food for thought than I am concrete belief.
I haven't been here long enough to know that I know anything.

True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. -Socrates
I haven't taken this as gospel
It gives one a new way of looking at things. It is a point of view that I have never really considered and it simply helps grease the wheels. That is what I'm thanking you for

t316

I have not even clicked on the link, but answering your question....Yes, and no.
Yes, God/son/Holy Spirit are all one....the Trinity. You either believe it or you don't.
No, God gave His only son to die for us, meaning God had a Son (Jesus Christ) which he sent to this world to die for our sins.

uneverno

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3038967
No, God gave His only son to die for us, meaning God had a Son (Jesus Christ) which he sent to this world to die for our sins.
Why?
Rather a bloody and violent attempt at proving a point on the part of "The Prince of Peace," if you ask me.
Not to mention that God, being omnipotent, had to be aware of the outcome of the alleged sacrifice to begin with, so it was no sacrifice at all on his part.
Which brings us back to: Why?

t316

http:///forum/post/3039051
Not to mention that God, being omnipotent, had to be aware of the outcome of the alleged sacrifice to begin with, so it was no sacrifice at all on his part.
Of course he knew the outcome beforehand, which is why he did it, but to sacrifice your only child to die (so that others may live...answers the Why), well that's the ultimate sacrifice IMO. I couldn't say that I could do the same with one of my children.

wattsupdoc

The thing is, if he knew the outcome then he made NO SACRFICE.
In fact, giving up the flesh would have had his son become closer to him....

mantisman51

T316, you are right...and wrong. Why would God create His ultimate creation, us, with a built-in flaw to sin, thus requiring the sacrifice of His Son? He is omnipotent-controls all-why then create us to NEED a Savior? I know, "because He wanted us to do the right thing by choice and not force". Doesn't that then guarantee the eternal doom of some, most by Biblical writing? I was a preachers son (Pentecostal holiness) and I am a firm believer, but these are the fundamental questions that trouble me. I have read the entire Bible many, many times. Everytime I finish, I ask myself, "Why would a loving God make such flawed creation that would lead to so much suffering and strife?" I don't believe that question can be answered, this side of Heaven. I just believe and trust that there is an answer on the other side of the dark glass. To answer the thread, "I and my Father are one" John 10:30. Yet when on the cross, he cried out, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" Matthew 27:46. "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness..." Genesis 1:26. Plural, yet one.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/3039051
Why?
Rather a bloody and violent attempt at proving a point on the part of "The Prince of Peace," if you ask me.
Which brings us back to: Why?
Just because you are aware of what happens before hand doesn't mean it wasn't a sacrifice. And just because you know the that the outcome is good in the end doesn't mean the journey wasn't a sacrifice.
And judging from your responses, either you are a "devil's advocate" or just don't believe. So I don't know if this will make sense to you. But hear me out.
First off, and once again this is assuming the story is true, jesus left heaven. The ultimate utopia. To live on earth as a human.
Then he went through torture. Being hung on the cross. I'm sure you've seen passion of the Christ.
Then most importantly, he was the person who carried enough sin that God forsake him. (the real sacrifice)
Then he went to hell. So we wouldn't.
Then because he was not legitimately in hell. He was able to leave.
Coming from a christian perspective that was a sacrifice. Regardless of whether god new the ultimate outcome or not. (not all christians follow that dogma but for the most part they do)
And there is where there is less agreement, but some might argue that the outcome wasn't a sealed fate. Since he was half man, he was tempted like the rest of us to sin. If not more so. Scripturally he was tempted by the devil. At his weakest point. Having fasted for 40 days.
But that being said, these are all biblical perspectives.

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/3039248
T316, you are right...and wrong. Why would God create His ultimate creation, us, with a built-in flaw to sin, thus requiring the sacrifice of His Son? He is omnipotent-controls all-why then create us to NEED a Savior? I know, "because He wanted us to do the right thing by choice and not force". Doesn't that then guarantee the eternal doom of some, most by Biblical writing? I was a preachers son (Pentecostal holiness) and I am a firm believer, but these are the fundamental questions that trouble me. I have read the entire Bible many, many times. Everytime I finish, I ask myself, "Why would a loving God make such flawed creation that would lead to so much suffering and strife?" I don't believe that question can be answered, this side of Heaven. I just believe and trust that there is an answer on the other side of the dark glass. To answer the thread, "I and my Father are one" John 10:30. Yet when on the cross, he cried out, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" Matthew 27:46. "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness..." Genesis 1:26. Plural, yet one.
This is very well said. My only disagreement is that God did not create us with the built-in flaw to sin, but with the freedom to sin... with the freedom of choice. There is a big distinction between the two. If we didn't have the freedom, we wouldn't be free.
It would be like a mother sitting their 7 year old child at a table with slinky's and vegetables on one side, and a gun and cigarettes on the other side. If the child ends up choosing the gun/cigarettes, is it the mothers fault for making it available? Of course the mother wouldn't want her child to play with guns or cigarettes at 7 years of age (and in reality, this would likely never happen where a 7 year old, still learning about what is sound judgement, has access to a gun). But my point is that the blame should never be given to the one who placed things on the table... the burden is ultimately given to the one who makes the choice. That is the burden of freedom. We NEED the freedom of choice. Without choice, it wouldn't be faith, it would be fact. It wouldn't be freedom, it would be slavery.
Look at it another way. Imagine if we were incapable of choice - if everything was just spoon-fed to us. It would really suck. Personally, I'd rebel, stage a mutiny, what have you.
But I could be totally wrong about this. I agree that sin and evil creates so much suffering in this world that it does make this choice very pricy... too pricy. I'm with you, mantisman. I can't wait to find out why.... from the divine "horses mouth" if you will.

darknes

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/3039302
This is very well said. My only disagreement is that God did not create us with the built-in flaw to sin, but with the freedom to sin... with the freedom of choice. There is a big distinction between the two. If we didn't have the freedom, we wouldn't be free.
It would be like a mother sitting their 7 year old child at a table with slinky's and vegetables on one side, and a gun and cigarettes on the other side. If the child ends up choosing the gun/cigarettes, is it the mothers fault for making it available? Of course the mother wouldn't want her child to play with guns or cigarettes at 7 years of age (and in reality, this would likely never happen where a 7 year old, still learning about what is sound judgement, has access to a gun). But my point is that the blame should never be given to the one who placed things on the table... the burden is ultimately given to the one who makes the choice. That is the burden of freedom. We NEED the freedom of choice. Without choice, it wouldn't be faith, it would be fact. It wouldn't be freedom, it would be slavery.
Look at it another way. Imagine if we were incapable of choice - if everything was just spoon-fed to us. It would really suck. Personally, I'd rebel, stage a mutiny, what have you.
But I could be totally wrong about this. I agree that sin and evil creates so much suffering in this world that it does make this choice very pricy... too pricy. I'm with you, mantisman. I can't wait to find out why.... from the divine "horses mouth" if you will.

I agree. Which is also why I believe God doesn't appear to everyone and prove His existence to us. If He were to prove His existence, we would have lost our freedom to choose whether we believe or not.
I think God gives us just enough to have faith, but not so much as to lose our gift of free will. Free will is what makes us in God's image and sets us apart from all His other creations. However, the gift does come with the price of suffering on earth.

t316

mantis...I don't know, maybe He was having an off day when he created man and that part just didn't make it in the Bible
. I always said that "...on the 8th Day, God created 4x4's", but that never made it in the Bible either
. Seriously though, as stdreb27 points out, just because you know the outcome of something does not make it less of a sacrifice. I think it was wattsupdoc that was questioning this. Yes, He knew it would all be good in the end and that He would have His son back, but He scrificed His son to endure what no man have ever suffered before. That's still sacrifice. Now, we don't have to do the right thing by force. He created us with "choice".
You do have a mind boggling question though, as to why God created us this way, with an inherant nature to sin...and we all want to do it
, but I don't know why. Maybe so it wouldn't look like a Communist situation, so that man can choose to serve/follow him, or not...
. Either way, I don't claim to be Mr. Holy Roller but I am a believer and I'm not taking my chances that there's not more out there when I die...

mantisman51

Agreed. I was combining the quote you used and what you wrote all together. My wife has told me more times than I can count that I have ADD.

uneverno

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3039259
But that being said, these are all biblical perspectives.
I hear ya. The perspectives just don't make sense to me on a logical level. Then again, the definition of the word "faith" includes within it a defiance of logic. Hebrews 11:1...
You are correct in your assesment of me. I am not a believer. I was brought up with Christianity, and have read the bible in its entirety, numerous times. I think it's a very interesting history of the Jewish people. I think that there are some valuable parables imparted in the books, as well as some critical lessons for humanity as a whole. I have no issue w/ the red words in the Gospels.
OTOH, I don't think that Genesis makes any sense at all. When Cain slew Abel and was cast out of the Garden, where did he go? He went to live with the "Other People" where he married and founded a civilization of his own (some would say the roots of Islam, but I personally think that started w/ Moses and Aaron.) And, yet, are we not initially told that no other people existed except the family of Adam and Eve? So - who did he marry?
Not only that, but apparently God is a carnivore, as what started the whole situation was that Cain's veggie/grain sacrifice was unacceptable to "Him." Rather a petty emotion for a "God" but rather a logical response for a society transforming from Hunter/Gatherer to Agrarian.
Back to the OP, it's an interesting question, to which I would have to answer: No.
First, it's a matter of speculation whether or not Jesus existed at all. Outside the New Testament, most of which was written 70-100 years after his death, there is no historical record of the man.
Second, it is highly unlikely that an unmarried Rabbi, of 30 something years of age, would have been taken seriously within the cultural/historical context of his day. He would almost certainly have been considered a pariah, not a prophet, and we know he was definitely not considered the Messiah. So where did that idea come from?
Lastly, the formalization of Christianity as a religion was largely the result of the first Council of Nicea in 325. The council was a politically motivated gathering whose sole purpose was to consolidate the power of Constantine as Emperor of Rome. Books, such as the Gospels of Thomas and Judas, were rejected, the Virgin birth was established as canonical fact, the Gnostics were declared heretics, things of that nature.
By now, we're 300+ years post Christ. (How accurately are you able to recount the daily events of any famous person from the 18th Century?)
Then, skipping ahead a dozenish centuries, we have the translation of the Bilble from Latin (which had been dead for nearly 1000 years by then) to King James' English. The King, being involved in a power struggle at the time, had passages rewritten to his liking.
In addition, we have the translational difficulties between archaic Latin, Greek, and Hebrew (which was also dead by then and which when written, did not include vowels, so they had to be assumed by linguistic archaeologists), and old and modern English.
So, we end up with misinterpretions such as "Thou shalt not kill
." Meaning, murder, not kill in the modern English context, assuming the older languages were correctly represented. That's an obvious example. Re-intepreting a single language within its historical context is far from an easy task, let alone interpreting 5.
Way too many margins for error as far as I'm concerned.
"I don't want to start any blasphemous rumours but I think that God's got a sick sense of humour, and when I die, I expect to find Him laughing."
Depeche Mode

mantisman51

All valid points, but much of the New Testament came directly from the Aramaic texts from the first century by the King James scholars, not the questionable Catholic Latin texts. And they risked their lives by defying King James by not changing the scripture regarding adultary and fornication, which is what started his quest to build a church to rival the Roman Catholic church. The Pope refused to give him a divorce or anulment, so he could marry his (much younger) lover. So King James specifically wanted the adultery and fornication portion re-written. They refused to rewrite, the King backed down and as close to a transliteration as could be had, was pesented. Yep, it's all improbable, but I think God is smart enough to figure out how to use mere flesh pots for His purposes-to get His word to us. The law and the prophets does make God appear petty at times, though. As you said, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen". If you can't physically handle it or see it, it is a fact that it is illogical, as logic depends on ones senses for confirmation of thought.

uneverno

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/3039489
If you can't physically handle it or see it, it is a fact that it is illogical, as logic depends on ones senses for confirmation of thought.
I believe in many things which are un -seen or -touchable. Quantum physics and mechanics, Dark Matter, Dark Energy, the Higgs-Boson particle... All invisible. All illogical (at least in the Cartesian/Newtonian sense.)
I also have a faith of sorts. I simply think that any human description of God is far too limiting (of "god") and as such, rather than explore the true nature of Creator(s), we tend to bend them to our purposes.
I believe that the Universe is an Idea.
I cannot begin to fathom whose it might be.

yearofthenick

http:///forum/post/3039478
I hear ya. The perspectives just don't make sense to me on a logical level. Then again, the definition of the word "faith" includes within it a defiance of logic. Hebrews 11:1...
You are correct in your assesment of me. I am not a believer. I was brought up with Christianity, and have read the bible numerous times. I think it's a very interesting history of the Jewish people. I think that there are some valuable parables imparted in the books, as well as some critical lessons for humanity as a whole. I have no issue w/ the red words in the Gospels.
Back to the OP, it's an interesting question, to which I would have to answer: No.
First, it's a matter of speculation whether or not Jesus existed at all. Outside the New Testament, most of which was written 70-100 years after his death, there is no historical record of the man.
Second, it is highly unlikely that an unmarried Rabbi, of 30 something years of age, would have been taken seriously within the cultural/historical context of his day. He would almost certainly have been considered a pariah, not a prophet, and we know he was definitely not considered the Messiah. So where did that idea come from?
Lastly, the formalization of Christianity as a religion, was largely the result of the first Council of Nicea in 325. The council was a politically motivated gathering whose sole purpose was to consolidate the power of Constantine as Emperor of Rome. Books, such as the Gospels of Thomas and Judas, were rejected, the Virgin birth was established as canonical fact, the Gnostics were declared heretics, things of that nature.
By now, we're 300+ years post Christ. (How accurately are you able to recount the daily events of any famous person from the 18th Century?)
Then, skipping ahead a dozenish centuries, we have the translation of the Bilble from Latin (which had been dead for nearly 1000 years by then) to King James' English. The King, being involved in a power struggle at the time, had passages rewritten to his liking.
In addition, we have the translational difficulties between archaic Latin, Greek, and Hebrew (which was also dead by then and which when written, did not include vowels, so they had to be assumed by linguistic archaeologists), and old and modern English.
So, we end up with misinterpretions such as "Thou shalt not kill
." Meaning, murder, not kill in the modern English context, assuming the older languages were correctly represented. That's an obvious example. Re-intepreting a single language within its historical context is far from an easy task, let alone interpreting 5.
"I don't want to start any blasphemous rumours but I think that God's got a sick sense of humour, and when I die, I expect to find Him laughing."
Depeche Mode
Show me your sources.
Here's a source that negates your theory of writings that surfaced 70-100 years after Jesus' death, and the validity of those writings.
http://www.creatingfutures.net/validity.html
>No, it's not a fundie site. These facts show that we have a more accurate picture of the New Testament than we do about Caesar, ruler of the known world.
Archaeologists use the bible as a valid source when searching for artifacts and ruins. Something must be said about this.
Man, I'm feeling a little dejavu here. Didn't we just have a thread about this?
If something happened 2k years ago, why are we still talking about it? If Jesus was a false prophet, then why was his impact so profound that it's still igniting conversations today? If Jesus was a fraud, He would have fallen into the depths of history and His story would have been long forgotten. There is so much controversy around Jesus' ministry - that's undeniable. We have so much historical material on Jesus and the NT. Revisions are still being made (different versions, commentaries or interpretative books). Even if this was just a piece of History, why do we revisit it so often? Why does it confound so many scholars?
It's because it's true and we can't find a way to falsify it. We try using evolution but that's flawed too. We try focusing on the bible's origins, but they are even further validated by present study. We have Hebrew-literate scholars who study the text, which is actually an older language than Latin.
But we're missing one big aspect altogether. Personal experience. 85% of the world believes in a higher power. Something must be said about that. You can't say that 85%, myself included, are all delusional.
(P.S. I cut your quote above because swf said my post was too long)