Is My Lfs Cazy Or What?

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by Jaymz
http:///forum/post/2865446
Im not going to pay $1000 for any coral no matter what, even if money was no object. Im not going to give some idiot the satisfaction of that sale.
True. I buy frags for 30 bucks let it grow, I was successful. I did what I wanted to do, grow a coral out. That was my main objective, I‘ve achieved my goal. So now the coral grows out of the space I allotted. I can clip it and mount it and sell it for 10 bucks plus the cost of shipping. So if a dozen people have the same coral that some joker is trying to push for a G note turns around and sells frags for 40 bucks the hobbyist who really do this hobby helped flood the market. We do our part. I mean come on, be honest. you don’t want to throw a claw hammer into the persons face who takes a red and blue coral that was 15 bucks last week but now charges 100 because they named it superman or a green coral and called it the incredible hulk and charges 100 for a 15 dollar frag. That infuriates me to the point I want to bite their face.
Maybe It the fact that we as hobbyist fell victim to designer names. Incredible hulk, superman, sopranos, transformers, kings blood, aog, ppe and allow the continuation of being dumb and just agreeing to allow it to happen.
What am I the only person who vomits at the idea that reefing is become so main stream that we allow it to be victimized by greed people who just want money.
What happened to the real swap meets? Where you went to a persons house or a park or a lfs and traded or sold frags for ten bucks. Are those days gone? I can even see paying 20 bucks for a ticket to go meet at a hotel conference room and have a huge meet, those were the fun times of this hobby.
No, now its some high brow clown walking around captivating the attention of hobbyist like school girls with a crush. Spouting off about how he keeps his tanks and slaps his name on a coral that simply morphed in color and people run in droves to buy a frag of so in so’s LE coral. Yeah I was sucker and went to a certain persons web site and bid an a couple of PPE that could be traced back to another certain clown. That’s right I won’t even give the satisfaction of naming these two circus clowns. WOOPDI DOO you found some zoanthids and gave them a name good job, have a beer on me.
So in my head if I can take these PPE’s that we all drool over and push two or three out at 15-20 bucks maybe even 30 if you pester me and flood the market then good, I can rest knowing I’m doing my part from have some clown hawk his name like a ten dollar street walker.
Again this is me, just how I feel. People want to be taken advantage of or take advantage of other hobbyist, do it. I’m not the moral compass.
Just commenting on my observations of how this hobby has become so blood thirsty and greedy.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2861416
Of course, it can be a money maker, but I don't think it will make anyone rich. Most fraggers are looking for a little cash to support their hobby, and, of course, some are retail. However, propagation is not always a bad thing, in fact, in most situations it is what keeps this hobby going on many levels. Yes, there are those who abuse their corals, just like there are those who abuse dogs, etc. Much abuse in this hobby, however, comes from inexperience and lack of knowledge.
We can all share the guilt there.
On a hobbyist stand point, no it won’t make anyone rich.
Looking to make a little cash to support their hobby. Absolutely. The coral live rent free so why not make a little coin on clippings.
Much abuse in this hobby, however, comes from inexperience and lack of knowledge
Agreed. That’s why I sill play the role of the load mouth, cruel and insensitive jerk. And I do play the role quite well, thank you.
We can all share the guilt there. To a degree, I will agree with you. When time is available I go and hang out on a couple of message boards and talk and throw out ideas, pretty much we all do.
BUT, I don’t sit idly by and just accept the direction this hobby is going. I can not openly accept coral being a “fad” cause of some designer name or some children’s movie promoting certain fish that are inevitable doomed to a sponge bob fish tank in the name of reaching the American dream.
We all know how people get when you start pointing out the ill fate of a fish by the hands of the intended lame keeper. People get all uppity and loud, and I’m that person to verbally and unsympathetically slap the sense back into them.
We paid a grand each for our rottis and twelve hundred for the bulldog. Why cause thats the going rate from breeders.
Not one of our rotties or the english bull have names in front of them called superman, hulk or any other fad name. Honestly, i don't think i would be willing to pay half price or even a quarter the price on a frag of an english bulldog or rotti, i don't know, call me crazy but i think a frag of a dog would have a hard time healing.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by trippkid
http:///forum/post/2863443
Sharkbait, I have read the thread and can't agree more with what you are saying. It is my exact feeling on this issue. I give all my frags away for free, LE, Tyree, whatever, it doesn't matter to me. I feel funny asking for any money for this stuff, especially from people you call friends(although I don't mind buying reasonably priced frags, or pricing my frags very reasonably say at a frag swap, and that is because of everyone else wanting money, if it were a true swap or trade, my stuff would be free). Like you have said or the idea at least we are already buying all this stuff for our own personal enjoyment of the hobby, not to make money on it. Share the wealth is how I look at it. Our reef club(I just help to start) is just that, helping local reefers for the enjoyment of the hobby and others with the same interests. Plus with true trading, If you ever lose a piece or the colony, there should be many sources to get it back if you choose, just by saying hey can I get a piece of that back with no expectations of money. I say if people would just stop paying rediculous prices for frags, the price would come way down(unless like you have said, they just throw the frags out). I don't know where Marlboro is, but you would fit right in with our small group so far in Central PA here. Equipment, frags, help, whatever, we try to hook each other up just because. Thanks for having enough sak to put out your feelings on this. You are welcome at our club anytime if you are ever in the area. Have a good one.

Matt
Good. Stick to your guns. Grow your club into a true club and enjoy the hobby for what is supposed to be to, a hobby. A hobby to learn and share.
Next time i go up to Pa to the cigar shop, i may throw out a pm to you. Its nice meeting other hobbyist from around the way.

sharkbait9

I sure am going to be interested in knowing some joker who does pay $1000 for a coral because I would love to show him some $300 pieces sitting in my tank.

An idiot is an idiot is an idiot
The world is full of idiots. Champagne wallets and have to have the best of the best to say they have it. Freud had a theory about compensating for the lack of certain anatomy.

And isnt making a buck the american way. Cant live with out money and the more you have the easier it is to breathe. Sad? yes.
True, I know I can‘t live with out money. My wife and I work for our pay checks. Have pretty much what we want. never thought to make more coin of a frag, just enough to cover the cost and a pack of smokes or a new cutting wheel and plugs.

jaymz

Ok i agree with your respnses to my comments. I never said anything about making a profit off of the corals, with all the money spent on electric and supplies while it was growing you would have to charge $1000 a peice to profit. Im talking about making some money back. Obviously the cuttings are worth something or you would not of paid for them in the first place. I trade my pieces in for other peices mainly.
I think you are trying to bash people who think they are going to set up a frag tank and bankroll a new car with it. True that is a stupid reason to keep a saltawater tank. But I see nothing wrong with standing in front of the coral tank in your LFS and thinking " I really like that peice and the good thing is I can move the frags when it grows too big"

sharkbait9

http:///forum/post/2866239
Im talking about making some money back. Obviously the cuttings are worth something or you would not of paid for them in the first place. I trade my pieces in for other peices mainly.
I can honestly say i have never looked at coral and thought i could sell some frgs off this mother and recoupe some money or anything. I see a frag or whole coral and think where and what tank can i stick that in. I have to have it.

http:///forum/post/2866239
I think you are trying to bash people who think they are going to set up a frag tank and bankroll a new car with it. True that is a stupid reason to keep a saltawater tank. But I see nothing wrong with standing in front of the coral tank in your LFS and thinking " I really like that peice and the good thing is I can move the frags when it grows too big"
Absolutly. Nothing wrong with that thinking.
I have a 125 gallon tank that was dedicated to fish but turned into a holding tank for frags also.
your right to a point also about the keeper who thinks they will bank a car.
My problem is certain people say it load and clear about selling frags. They paid "X" amount and if someone wants it from they are going to pay "X" for one inch like it did. Mean while they have a 55 gallon in the living room with nothing but egg crate and plugs lined up with a table tray with the remains of a whole coral.
Thats the person i want to smash with a claw hammer.
Now what the hell did i say that got xxxx out?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
http:///forum/post/2866444
I can honestly say i have never looked at coral and thought i could sell some frgs off this mother and recoupe some money or anything. I see a frag or whole coral and think where and what tank can i stick that in. I have to have it.
Absolutly. Nothing wrong with that thinking.
I have a 125 gallon tank that was dedicated to fish but turned into a holding tank for frags also.
your right to a point also about the keeper who thinks they will bank a car.
My problem is certain people say it load and clear about selling frags. They paid "X" amount and if someone wants it from they are going to pay "X" for one inch like it did. Mean while they have a 55 gallon in the living room with nothing but egg crate and plugs lined up with a table tray with the remains of a whole coral.
Thats the person i want to smash with a claw hammer.
Now what the hell did i say that got xxxx out?
Shark, I can understand the frustration at people that overprice their frags. What I don't understand is why you have an issue with their set up, or their reasoning behind selecting a coral with the intent to frag and sell. You have said that you sell coral on the auction site. You buy them, grow them out, then frag them. You should know as well as anyone that it takes time and effort to grow something out. So what is the problem with other people doing it?

sharkbait9

Ok im going to break this down piece by piece, and see if I can get my point across.
Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2866456
Shark, I can understand the frustration at people that overprice their frags.
I expect a retailer to charge a retailers price. That’s his business that’s his means of making money. If the price stinks, I don’t have to buy from them.
I would not expect a hobbyist to charge like a retailer for a frag.
What I don't understand is why you have an issue with their set up
No problem with setups, not one bit. Again, one of my 125s was a fowlr tank but as my collection grew, so did the demand for more space. So now I have egg crate stuck to the side of the class holding plugs.

or their reasoning behind selecting a coral with the intent to frag and sell.
To do that and make money you pretty much have to double the price to make any type of money.
Look at that acan, some dope coral hacker would buy that and give a name like joker from batman the movie.
That rock has what?….maybe 40 polyps? Give or take. So just to break even they would have to sell one polyp for 25.00 bucks. Then included the cost of glue, plugs, bags, packing material and what other nonsense they can come up with, to make any money they now have to jack the price up even more.

You have said that you sell coral on the auction site.
You betcha I do. Just about every frag starts out at .99 with a buy it now for 20-30 bucks depending on size.
Normally a 30 frag is not really a frag. Unfortunately I can not prove this now since the selling page is gone, but the members who bought frags said it them selves, “not a frag a small colony”
And every person who bought anything from me always got bonus frags not to be a nice guy but because the coral grows for me and I don‘t want it sitting in my tanks, that why I fraged it to begin with.
You buy them, grow them out, then frag them.
I really don’t know how to answer this with out coming off like an *** hole. But yeah that’s my goal. I saw the coral, I like it, I want it to grow. The growth is just a technicality that I have to deal with.
You should know as well as anyone that it takes time and effort to grow something out.
I really don’t know how to answer this with out coming off like an *** hole. But with line of thinking that’s like me building my -- helicopters and not flying it cause It took time, energy and a butt load of money to build and if I crash it thats a lot more money to blow. I knew going into these hobbies, a lot of time and money was going to throw down the drain if I wanted success. That’s the cost of the hobby. You can’t refute that, this hobby is expensive. Yes the fun of the hobby is watching the coral grow and spread. Watching this encrusting coral creep its way up a rock searching for new territory to grow on. All while making sure my levels are in check to help that coral reach for new areas. When the coral finally gets to the point that I have to frag it so it don’t kill my other corals, I frag it.

So what is the problem with other people doing it?
No problem with anyone doing it, unless they act like they have the one in only “X” and feel like they should get paid a retailers ransom because the hobby is expensive with the cost of salt and equipment and bla bla bla. And if they can’t get paid then they have no reason to do this hobby. That why I say, you are a hobbyist or you’re a wanna be hobbyist.
If a person wants to make some money off a clipping that’s fine, knock your self out. But if you come to me talking about any coral and they want the same price as a retailer cause there in this hobby and salts expensive, I hope they choke on a French fry and thier eyes pop out of thier dump face while they gasp for air. Understand, I have not one problem with people selling frags sure go ahead have at it. But if your a hobbyist, why try and hawk your LE dumb name coral for the same price a retailer is to a person in this hobby. The coral is going to grow more, you can make your money in time. Or are they afraid that LE coral is going to die cause they can’t afford the best salt and equipment cause they spent a butt load of money on that god awful named LE coral.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
http:///forum/post/2861786
We are supposed to be hobbyist, so in my eyes you can not justify selling frags to another hobbyist at a retail price. We as hobbyist should not be “cool” with that. Cuase that also breed greed. Think about not everyone but some, a lot will rationalize it as “well I paid this, so someone else can pay that price from me instead.”
You're kidding right? So, if I love gardening, and decide to open up a nursery business, even a high end nursery, then I'm evil?
Just because we are hobbyists doesn't mean that we can't open up retail stores and sell live goods at market prices. Its not evil. Fraggers do make some money off their endeavors, and as long as someone is willing to buy, then what is the wrong in that? Its a concept upon which our economy is based on....or, at least used to be based on pre-bailouts.

wattsupdoc

http:///forum/post/2860155
and that is what breeds greed, " i can get my money back by fragging"
No I’m not a sick individual, just like to see karma bite back once in a while

There are people on here that have payed top dollar for frags, grown them out, then fragged them off and made a profit off of it. Whats the problem with that? The mentality of not fragging a coral because of greed is just plain stupidity.
Free enterprise is what brings the coral into the hobby to begin with. If you don't wanna pay top dollar for a frag, buy a drab one instead. I have some AOG zoos. I payed 25.00 a polyp for. 3 Polyps, was a fair deal to me.
I know have over 30 of them and soon will frag some off, at 25.00 a polyp. Is that greed?
I didn't read the whole thread. I just get so furious at this ignorant mentality.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2866556
You're kidding right? So, if I love gardening, and decide to open up a nursery business, even a high end nursery, then I'm evil?
Just because we are hobbyists doesn't mean that we can't open up retail stores and sell live goods at market prices. Its not evil. Fraggers do make some money off their endeavors, and as long as someone is willing to buy, then what is the wrong in that? Its a concept upon which our economy is based on....or, at least used to be based on pre-bailouts.
Once again. Take your self out of the business mind set.
If you love the what ever have a knack for it and want to open a business, go for it. I hope you make all money you can. I never will knock a person for reaching for their dreams. If anything I would be more inclined to help a friend reach the dream then to stumble and fall short.
Also, you keep failing to see the difference, that I’m trying to point out. I encourage people to frag and move the coral to new people. I never said selling a frag is wrong or greedy. I do it to, I sell frags all the time, so why would I sit here and lambaste someone who does it also.
Maybe you can justify in your head someone buying a coral to frag it out completely to doubling the price to make money . I don’t see the point.
I don’t care if a retailer does it, that’s part of the game.
My whole point is hobbyist helping hobbyist out. Coral are not like it used to be until some tool added a name in front of it. It was really easy, SPS, LPS, soft, polyp. Now its named to up the price.
I never said anyone had to agree with me.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2866641
There are people on here that have payed top dollar for frags, grown them out, then fragged them off and made a profit off of it. Whats the problem with that? The mentality of not fragging a coral because of greed is just plain stupidity.
Free enterprise is what brings the coral into the hobby to begin with. If you don't wanna pay top dollar for a frag, buy a drab one instead. I have some AOG zoos. I payed 25.00 a polyp for. 3 Polyps, was a fair deal to me.
I know have over 30 of them and soon will frag some off, at 25.00 a polyp. Is that greed?
I didn't read the whole thread. I just get so furious at this ignorant mentality.

http:///forum/post/2866641
I pay and have paid high price for coral, but never paid more then 50.00 bucks for a frag.
You paid 25 per polyp for AOG, I guess its true, sucker born every min. I sold a member on her 15 of them for 30.00. The colony was starting to grow onto other rocks did not want them on. Even when I bought the frag of AOG I paid 45.00 for 8 polyps.
Again, never said no one should frag coral and make money. If you want to sell AOG at 25.00 bucks per polyp lol go ahead, you paid that, im sure someone else will too. Ones born every minute.
You may perceive my logic as an ignorant mentality and that’s fine, your opinion. I won’t sell my self like a street walker for a coral.

trippkid

I'm still right there with you, people just don't get it.
Oh, if you do ever decide to make it over this way, PM me on -- if you belong there too, same screen name, I am not on here as much anymore. Have a good one.
Matt
*****MOD EDIT because that is another BB and linking to it is against the forum rules Please do not bypass the word filter by adding periods to post it.*****

wattsupdoc

http:///forum/post/2867153
I pay and have paid high price for coral, but never paid more then 50.00 bucks for a frag.
You paid 25 per polyp for AOG, I guess its true, sucker born every min. I sold a member on her 15 of them for 30.00. The colony was starting to grow onto other rocks did not want them on. Even when I bought the frag of AOG I paid 45.00 for 8 polyps.
Again, never said no one should frag coral and make money. If you want to sell AOG at 25.00 bucks per polyp lol go ahead, you paid that, im sure someone else will too. Ones born every minute.
You may perceive my logic as an ignorant mentality and that’s fine, your opinion. I won’t sell my self like a street walker for a coral.
That's funny, you truly believe your standing on some moral ground.
ACTUALLY if we were to compare each others logic to a prostitute, YOU would be the street walker, I'd be the High end CALL GIRL. See, street walkers sell their stuff on the cheap....GET IT!

I bought them from a LFS....So much for being OK for a business owner to charge their price huh? You are just simply a cheap ass that doesn't want to pay the price that this hobby packs. Or more likely, you cant afford to so it ticks you off, and you blame those that sell them.
Actually, there are a few more important reasons people name these corals. For one, Lineage. this is very important in the whole scheme of things in the hobby. See people can generally associate with a name as compared to just a description. I know that my Idaho Grape Monti Cap is the same exact coral as all the other Idaho Grape Monti Caps out there. Whereas there are others that are just purple caps. Same coral? Who knows? But I DO know where mine came from and relatively how long it has been captive raised.
I crop many many zoos etc. Some are overrunning my SPS, I don't frag/sell them all off. Many just get canned. If a fellow local reefer wants to come by and visit, I'll probably frag a bunch of stuff and send him on his way with it. NO CHARGE! It's just not worth my time to frag, glue, hold, post a ad, bag and ship corals for a few dollars. Not going to happen. But then again I probably make a little more an hour than you do...

sharkbait9

http:///forum/post/2867509
That's funny, you truly believe your standing on some moral ground.

Nope, never grabbed a scroll and said I’m the moral compass follow me.
ACTUALLY if we were to compare each others logic to a prostitute, YOU would be the street walker, I'd be the High end CALL GIRL. See, street walkers sell their stuff on the cheap....GET IT!

Thanks for explaining that to me. Never had to use a call girl, thanks for the clarification. Next bachelor party, well go with a high end female, are you available?

I bought them from a LFS....So much for being OK for a business owner to charge their price huh?
Once again, you paid that, not me. If the LFS wants to sell AOG for that much and someone actually pays, good for them. Congrats. I know I wouldn’t but then again that me. I’m not talking about retail stores charging what they want, get that thru your head, I’m talking hobbyist to hobbyist.

You are just simply a cheap ass that doesn't want to pay the price that this hobby packs. Or more likely, you cant afford to so it ticks you off, and you blame those that sell them.
Um, what is the hobby packing? And well yes. I don’t believe in wearing a company’s logo across my chest and butt and pay them to do it. I guess you think a persons only worth the name brands they wear? How old are we? Lol sorry, I don’t have to have the latest model of uggs boots.
I’m not impressed with a company’s name going across my body. Unfortunately Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph lauren and polo all put emblems on the cloths so I have to accept that. Unlike my wife who will were victoria secrets pink and gap and louis vuitton names blazoned across her body and purses.Thats her deal, if she likes them, then so be it.
Does it tick me off that I have to pay for names? Absolutely. The last thing I need is someone hawking a coral to me that I am looking at trying to drop a name on me, like the name is going to make the sale. Maybe to some people, not all. No, I blame the guy who feels a name would sell better.

sharkbait9

Actually, there are a few more important reasons people name these corals. For one, Lineage. this is very important in the whole scheme of things in the hobby.
Really? So if I can’t tell the lineage of the coral, its not as good? Not as pretty? Not worth the price? But if tubb owned it then it’s worth the extra money? Sorry, not materialistic when it comes to coral. But you better believe when it comes to my fun toys, oh yeah I am buying the best of the best. A blue and red monti named superman means very little when I order coral. Color, species and overall how pretty or cool it looks. that’s what gets my attention. Hey look! it grows, cool. Oh, look I have new polyps growing a rock, cool but I don’t want them growing on to the bottlebrush acro rock. Get it.
I know that my Idaho Grape Monti Cap is the same exact coral as all the other Idaho Grape Monti Caps out there. Whereas there are others that are just purple caps. Same coral? Who knows? But I DO know where mine came from and relatively how long it has been captive raised.
Good for you. I bought my Idaho grape from the farmer, guess what happened to mine, it darkened up on me. Is it worth just the same cause it came from the farmers but now its darker?. BUT AT LEAST I KNOW WHERE IT CAME FROM AND THAT MEANS CRAP NOW, GET IT.

I crop many many zoos etc. Some are overrunning my SPS, I don't frag/sell them all off. Many just get canned.
Way to go big guy. Way to support the hobby and the coral reefs, the hobby “you love“. “Ahh, I’ll just can these, since I can’t be bothered“.

. If a fellow local reefer wants to come by and visit, I'll probably frag a bunch of stuff and send him on his way with it. NO CHARGE!.
Good. that’s cool that your willing to do that, for what ever reason, that’s cool. You should be proud that you do that. Who can or will fault you for that. More people should be willing to do that for other local reefers. It makes me feel good when I throw other frags in just to get rid of them, instead of trashing them, all while helping to spread the coral around. Maybe, just maybe, the coral I give out and sell and trade will help a couple people get some nice coral growing and spread them around.
But then again I probably make a little more an hour than you do...

LOL,Do you, really?
. Does that juvenile, feeble attempt of a jab make ya feel better?
Any other grade school stab? Oh wait I have a good one we threw around in 5 grade, who’s is bigger? Got any momma jokes? They always made me lol when I was in school.

I highly doubt you living in ozark and me in Monmouth county New Jersey, you make anything close to what I make in a year, Let alone in an hour. Not that living in Ozark is bad, im not saying that. When we go up to the mountains in NY and Pennsylvania I kind of like that country setting, slow easy going, no rush, just laid back.
Secondly I’m not here to point out the flaws of anyone’s financial situation out, like that would make anyone better or worse of a person.
For a 40 something year old, that’s a pretty juvenile attempt to make your self fell better.
Way to alienate your self by trying to place yourself on a pedestal. Like your better then a person who makes less then you.
Given the economical down turn, I high doubt your rolling in money and jobs right now. Way to sell your self and to business prospects. What’s your company slogan? Need electrical work done? Better make good money to afford me.

aquaknight

IBTL.
Sharkbait, if anything, I do like the fact you type out all your responses to everyone at one time, then post them all at the same time. Definitely cuts down on the confusion when someone replies in the middle of a multi-post reply.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2868323
IBTL.
Sharkbait, if anything, I do like the fact you type out all your responses to everyone at one time, then post them all at the same time. Definitely cuts down on the confusion when someone replies in the middle of a multi-post reply.

why the ibtl? If we can't have a discussion? Then why have a MB.
I’m sure someone will find a problem with docs and my response. Personally I see nothing wrong, he said what he said and I replied. Were grown adults voicing our indifferences. No threats, just two men hashing out how we feel. I welcome the verbal joust and rapier like wit. I don’t run away.
Sarcastic or not, apparently I have to snip and comment everything so its not misconstrued.