Is Tap Water Bad?

beaslbob

Originally posted by Kip4130 all sounds logical (as most your theories do(the implementation is the tough part for me to swallow))
thanks and understand. new ideas are some hard to understand
but...
after setting up 4 systems and helping countless others...

I understand.

i have never heard of a properly cycled tank (via shrimp, LR, etc) not be able to populate the new system with enough nitrifying bacteria that it couldnt handle a single small fish that is fed regularly.

absolutely correct !!!!!!! I just don't have to add the caveiaot (woops my spelling again :D). Those steps work regardless of the previous cycle and how proper it was. Just trying to kis it and goof proof it
i have also never seen a clean up crew eat algae so fast that there is none left in the short time after a cycle.

I have. Actually, the real problem is not having the plant life in there. It always took some time (if even just a few weeks) to get a good algae growth. Therefore, better to add the plant life first. Besides, the vastly reduces the uglies makes the cleaner crew unnecessary to begin with.
i also have issues with your miraculous plants that consume every element on the table down to 0ppm.

never said that. but they do consume ammonia, and filter out heavy ions and toxins. Down to 0.0 maybe but not necessary anyway. Reducing an ammonia spike to 10% of what it would have been should be good enough.
so.. round and round in circles we go again.

Just a good interchange of ideas.
kinda like we both have good ideas on traveling from A to B
but i choose an automobile and you choose a magic carpet.

A better analogy would be i choose to have a tank on autopilot you choose to fly it yourself :D
In the context of the thread, the three steps to the newbie, insured the cycle was completed, and the first fish lived. The specific context was that the tank was cycling and nitrItes had not come down to 0.0. No need to make things too hard. Add plant life, get nitrItes down to 0.0, add a fish and don't feed for a week. The only thing that would prevent that from working is a very sick fish. If the fish was only half sick, and just stressed out, then those instructions would insure it recovered and became healthy.
That type of goof proof advice is exactly what the newbie needs. What they don't need is a bunch of flames from people who have never heard that advice before, never implemented that advice, and therefore can not possibility understand that advice, stating that advice is bad.

beaslbob

Originally posted by Tizzo
bad words bad words :D!!! Duuuuuuz this mean we USE tap water or not?? What happened to the topic?? Quite enjoyable, but it's not answering anything. Get an ro/di, Your tap may or may not be sufficient... but I've NEVER heard anybody ask if they should "get rid" of their unit because their tap may be ok. Some believe in trial & error, but when 2 corals cost about as much as an r/o unit... why test it? It would be, in my opinion, one of the only purchases that you won't wish to change, upgrage, alter, add to, etc. (unless you get an r/o without the d/i... like me...
)

Yep we got off topic. Sorry.
Back on topic. People who got a ro/di unit are not going to trade it in.
do you absolutely need ro/di no.
If your tank is already established and you want to buy the di then go for it.
If you are thinking of a new system, skip it, and buy a larger system.
To help prevent the 55 flames following this: many many many many many many many highly successful dedicated reef systems swear by RO/DI.
And some don't :jumping:
Oh yea IMO

bheron

I dont have many "posts" but have been "lurking" on this site for quite a long time. And for most of the time I've been accepting of Bob as just another point of view - which is healthy. But I have to say I've had enough after seeing him use his old "just throw in some plants" recommendation on two newbie posts today, within 10 minutes of each other.
BTW - the copper in my tap water ruined my tank, liquidated my inverts so I couldnt even a snail, and ruined my live rock. Fish were fine.
Bob - what's your position on copper in tap water? probably just throw some plants in there and they'll be fine?

bang guy

Hey bheron, can I talk you into starting a new thread about copper in tap water?
I think it's time to let this puppy die.

blackomne

I am working on a table of water qualities including ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph, alkalinity for several sources including tap water, standing tap water, bottled water, and Deionized water using a freshwater test kit.
Freshwater so as not to involve the differences found in all of the different salt mixes. I will post the results later so you can see the differences ourselves. and I am still looking for a few good people to test RO and RO/DI water and other tap sources because I do not have access to theses sources at the moment.
Black omne mission continues....

beckzilla

Originally posted by beaslbob
No.

Bob, this is exactly the kind of answer that shows your lack of intelligence and common sense. Can you possibly know that all the tap water in this country is perfectly safe for a reef tank? Please show me your test results from all that water!! Oh and BTW

squidd

quote:
[hr]
Originally posted by WBilton
but is tap water bad?

[hr]
No.

quote:

[hr]
Again entirely consistant....
...Yes I have lost fish. Fish do die in my tanks. Fish will die in the future in my tanks.

[hr]
1+1=...?

jabvalley

Just answer the question and leave Bob alone anybody who gets on reads that they should get 10 opions before they consider taking the adivce from this board. If you want to contiue bashing Bob do it in the aquarium forum. He is in the minority, so anybody taking his advice surely sees this, pay more attention to your own tank and not this board and Bob. Just my two cents, now mabye I will be voted off the board.:hilarious :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious