Is This Dangerous???

spanko

Pseudocorynactis sp., a corallimorpharian.
Here are a couple of them
from i.pbase

And one in my tank.

meowzer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3055389
WHAT! you get a red x for both pictures? I can see them fine.
I can see one pic....BUT SPANKO....If I am reading the descriptions right...they are kinda (or are) a type of anemone????

spanko

Yeah but more a corallimorph like mushrooms. They like the shade, I have read that they can get big but the three I have, two are the size of a dime and one the size of a nickel and none has grown any larger. I was concerned at first because according to my research they are sticky and when large can and do get fish to eat. I decided to let it ride for a while and have not seen anything adverse so they are still there.

meowzer

OK...NOW THE BIG ISSUE...They are in my seahorse tank.....SOOOOO if they are like anemones...can they sting my seahorses????

spanko

Well......at the risk of making you crazier.......yes I guess they can.
If you have Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Corals" book, see page 198.
From another reefer......
"they are indeed very very sticky. they also have a powerful sting. hence the reason they can be a threat to fish (when much larger)"
Please note the when much larger statement. This person had some the size of a quarter with no problem in his seahorse tank. Like anything I guess the risk is there but seems to be low risk. I have come to the conclusion that I will just enjoy it until it gives me reason not to.

meowzer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3055423
Well......at the risk of making you crazier.......yes I guess they can.
If you have Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Corals" book, see page 198.
From another reefer......
"they are indeed very very sticky. they also have a powerfull sting. hense the reason they can be a threat to fish (when much larger)"
Please note the when much larger statement. This person had some the size of a quarter with not problem in his seahorse tank. Like anything I guess the rish is there but seems to be low risk. I have come to the conclusion that I will just enjoy it until it gives me reason not to.
LOL...Thanks Spanko....Of Course my book is at home, and I have not had time to read anymore since all my time is being spent caring for the horse...and trying to keep my maintenance up on the other tanks....
The "anemone" is maybe the size of a pea....and I think there may be 3...I know of 2 for sure

cranberry

I'm not gonna pull a "Do as I say, not as I do" here. They sting, most would probably tell you to get rid of it. I have them in my seahorse tank.

spanko

So they are a low light creature, they will stay small, in the place it is in can the horses get near it? If not take a chill pill and go on about your work. Enjoy the diversity a little.
IMO I would not worry about this, but that is my opinion and I tend to let things happen as they will in my tank.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3055462
I'm not gonna pull a "Do as I say, not as I do" here. They sting, most would probably tell you to get rid of it. I have them in my seahorse tank.
LOL...The problem is I will have to take the top part of the tank apart to get to them....
SOOOO...your horses do not get bothered by them???

cranberry

If you asked this in the seahorse section, I bet some will say no.
I can honestly say my horses weren't bothered that I could determine... and I think I'm pretty good at determining that at this point in the hobby. Not saying I'm right, just sharing my own experience and I encouraged them to grow.
Is skinny sickly?

meowzer

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3055466
If you asked this in the seahorse section, I bet some will say no.
I can honestly say my horses weren't bothered that I could determine... and I think I'm pretty good at determining that at this point in the hobby. Not saying I'm right, just sharing my own experience and I encouraged them to grow.
WELL I didn't know what it was at first..lol...Now that I do, I'm not going to duplicate the thread....I hate the idea of tearing half my tank apart...I TRUST your "experiences" and for now I guess I will leave them. I would not be tearing it down in the near future anyway....Not enough hours in the day for me right now...