Its Snowing In My Tank!!!

dvs

I was getting ready to go to bed and I happened to look in my tank to find this! They are clear. Very small. Kinda have a whip-like tail. 2 eyes. :scared:
What are they? There must be over 100 all over my tank!
Jen

dvs

I turned my lights off about 3 minutes ago and most of them are now congregating around the bottom on the tank, some on the substarte.
Anyone have any idea?

pwnag3!!

well... i had that once... it was just tiny little pods. They come and go in bursts... I think at least! :happy:

bergamer

i read if your calcium levels are too highm then it cant be absored and it will snow in the tank

jacksdad

DVS,
I had the same thing in my 24 gal Nano. They just appeared one day. All but a few are gone now (after about a week). Keep us posted if you find out what they are.
P.S.
Nice looking cube

dvs

Thanks Everyone!
Theres only about 2 or 3 that I can see right now.
At least I know theyre okay. How often will they come out? And where do they come from?
Thanks!
Jen
:joy:

bigarn

They're usually most active after lights out. Look at the substrate along the front glass... they like to crawl along there.
They came in on the LR and have hatched... but their numbers will decrease and increase as time goes by. :D

pwnag3!!

i used to see those types... i beleive they are in the nymph stage... Im sure bang can correct me if im wrong... anyways They were always out at all times.

bergamer

opps:thinking:
didn't see the part that said about having eyes
But I bet you that there can be some type of unabsorbed calcium that can have eyes
you never know on another planet

dvs

Originally posted by bergamer
opps:thinking:
didn't see the part that said about having eyes
But I bet you that there can be some type of unabsorbed calcium that can have eyes
you never know on another planet

I probably would have if I had used the regular tap water here!
:eek:

bang guy

Mysid Shrimp from your description.
Can you explain their behavior in more detail? A Mysid Shrimp will move very fast but never leave the surface, just glide over it. They also move in a random pattern goin about 1/2" before turning.
Like ants on speed...

dvs

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Mysid Shrimp from your description.
Can you explain their behavior in more detail? A Mysid Shrimp will move very fast but never leave the surface, just glide over it. They also move in a random pattern goin about 1/2" before turning.
Like ants on speed...

Thanks Bang. They were clear, and small (like 1/10 mm) and had two visible eyes on each side. It looked like they were round and the tail came out from the back bottom and whipped around. When they were swimming you couldnt see the tail, just the body. These guys were swimming all around the tank, not just in one certain pattern. There were a few left yesterday morning when I woke up but all of them have gone. When I shut the lights off the other night, a lot of them would drift down to the bottom of the tank and hang out around the substrate. They kept bumping off the LR too. If they are shrimp, would there have been an egg sack or something I could look for on the LR?
:joy:
Jen

bang guy

No, this type of shrimo stays small. Not as small as 1/10mm though.
1/10mm implies Copepods but they only have one eye. I don't know of much else that has a tail...

dvs

Originally posted by Bang Guy
No, this type of shrimo stays small. Not as small as 1/10mm though.
1/10mm implies Copepods but they only have one eye. I don't know of much else that has a tail...

Maybe since they were clear it looked like they had two, since you could see the other one from the other side. How often do pods come out?

bang guy

All the time buy if you have fish then they'll get eaten almost immediately. At night when fish are sleepong the copepods can accumulate.