Jerth6932's 90 Gallon

jerth6932

I feel bad for my rescued yellow tang, he is on the chopping block for an Alantic Blue tang. Any opinions on this switch? ( I would have to find a suitable home for Yellow tang first.... he doesn't need to go through what he did before and I didn't get a big enough tank to house both....)

btldreef

I had really considered the Atlantic Blue. I ultimately decided against it because all the ones I saw in the store looked nothing like the vibrant blues that I'd see in pictures.
I'd have a hard time giving up the YT. I rescued a Sailfin and nursed it back to health, then she became a coral eating bully in my tank and she had to go, and it was still hard to get rid of her. She ended up in the owner of the LFS's 300G FOWLR at his home.
I'd say, if you see one in person that's nice, consider it, but don't order one online, because if they look like what I've seen, you'll be unhappy.
Also consider that your YT has had it worse, and gets along with other fish, some tangs can be cranky.
In all honesty, and I can't believe me, Mrs. Tang Police is saying this, if you really did it right, you could probably do both, although you might not want to get the Juvenile Atlantic Blue, since it will be yellow and slightly similar shape to the YT.

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/386988/slow-build-90-gallon/40#post_3405108
I had really considered the Atlantic Blue. I ultimately decided against it because all the ones I saw in the store looked nothing like the vibrant blues that I'd see in pictures.
I'd have a hard time giving up the YT. I rescued a Sailfin and nursed it back to health, then she became a coral eating bully in my tank and she had to go, and it was still hard to get rid of her. She ended up in the owner of the LFS's 300G FOWLR at his home.
I'd say, if you see one in person that's nice, consider it, but don't order one online, because if they look like what I've seen, you'll be unhappy.
Also consider that your YT has had it worse, and gets along with other fish, some tangs can be cranky.
In all honesty, and I can't believe me, Mrs. Tang Police is saying this, if you really did it right, you could probably do both, although you might not want to get the Juvenile Atlantic Blue, since it will be yellow and slightly similar shape to the YT.
"Whoop.... Whoop..." (Hits the overheads)...... Did I get a get out of jail free card on getting another tang?????

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/386988/slow-build-90-gallon/20#post_3405104
That stinks about the Flame. My flame grew a taste for Duncans, but never touched anything else, and my Coral Beauty has NEVER touched a coral, and I've had her for over 3 years, moved her to different tanks, etc. As a general rule, I believe Coral Beauties to be safer than Flames with coral nipping, but with all dwarfs, you just never know. Heck, I even had a darn clownfish and a Sailfin tang that ate coral on me
The clown would literally come up to the top of the water while I was feeding, look at the food, swim down and rip apart a coral. His favorite was my beautiful little goniopora
I won't say exactly what happened to him as I didn't see it, but I did donate him to the predator tank at a LFS.
Well my flame got
! I got him out, but not with out him taunting me. He finished off my strawberry shortcake SPS, mother *$&#(# !!!!!!!!! I did a streight across trade for a melanarus wrass! I hope to have a better fish on my hands (From my research over the last 2 weeks, I believe I will have a great addition!)! It was cool to see how he goes into the sand.......... Now I wish I could see him come out

jerth6932

All my corals are comming out alot better already! My Acans are getting puffy looking, somthing they have not done since I bought them. And my angel has been gone only 2 hours!

scott t

I am glad that things are doing better for you now, it sad that you had to get rid of your angel, but if its for the better of the tank then it was a good thing. =)

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerth6932 http:///forum/thread/386988/slow-build-90-gallon/40#post_3405329
Well my flame got
! I got him out, but not with out him taunting me. He finished off my strawberry shortcake SPS, mother *$&#(# !!!!!!!!! I did a streight across trade for a melanarus wrass! I hope to have a better fish on my hands (From my research over the last 2 weeks, I believe I will have a great addition!)! It was cool to see how he goes into the sand.......... Now I wish I could see him come out

Good luck with the wrasse! I have 3 Leopards (a Blue star leopard wrasse pair and a M. meleagris female) and a Yellow Corris right now and I love them. They behave very similar to the Melanarus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerth6932
http:///forum/thread/386988/slow-build-90-gallon/40#post_3405337
All my corals are comming out alot better already! My Acans are getting puffy looking, somthing they have not done since I bought them. And my angel has been gone only 2 hours!
Hahaha, they know the little monster is gone!

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/386988/slow-build-90-gallon/40#post_3405416
Good luck with the wrasse! I have 3 Leopards (a Blue star leopard wrasse pair and a M. meleagris female) and a Yellow Corris right now and I love them. They behave very similar to the Melanarus.
Would I be pushing it in a 90 gallon to get a Yellow Corris with the Melanarus and McCoskers, IYO?
Hahaha, they know the little monster is gone!
Ding, Dong, the Flame Angel is GONE, the wicked Flame Angel. Ding dong the wicked Flame Angel is GONE! (<-------- this popped in my head when I read this post)

btldreef

The only possible issue I could see with the wrasses is that they could potentially damage the bristle worm population and possibly copepods as well. Luckily, you have established live rock from your previous tank, along with a refugium, so that will help a lot. I have the 3 leopards and the corris and actually plan on adding one more leopard to finish my pair in the 180. I don't see any issues with having then with a McCoskers.

jerth6932

Time for another update to check growth.....

April 10, 2011

May 10, 2011

June 10

July 9
(Tank transfer 90g)

Aug 9

jerth6932

I can't wait! They are responding now! I guess all this alk/calc/mag stuff is true! :laughing: I am glad that I can see my progress now! I have the other shelf that I ill follow growth on too, its got some fun pieces on it..... minus my strawberry shortcake sps.... munch mouth took it out before I could get his arse!

jerth6932

Got some sweet frags 2 day! Blasto, Acan, and 2 chalis (bubble gum and something like hells furry???) pix when placed!

scott t

Awesome Frags, I cant wait to start putting stuff in my tank its going to be so grand doing it and I am so going to love it. Lol thanks for sharing =)

jerth6932

Yeah it truly is a BLAST getting different corals, researching their needs and seeing your tank come together! I laugh because I didn't even know much about blasto's till Wartooth got a recommend on them from Meowzer!

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerth6932 http:///forum/thread/386988/slow-build-90-gallon/40#post_3405973
Yeah it truly is a BLAST getting different corals, researching their needs and seeing your tank come together! I laugh because I didn't even know much about blasto's till Wartooth got a recommend on them from Meowzer!
Yeah, My Favs are Zoas, Rics, Montis, acans, some chalices, and Blastos. I cant wait to be able to put some of them in my tank.. lol

1guydude

carefull scott zoos are addicting lol.....I really like those blastos jerth! Those are awsome....and that chalice! Looks like fire under water man!