JoKe is spelled F-E-M-A

dogstar

I live in Florida. 7 storms in the two years. The state does nothing and the Feds do nothing, IMO at least very little, people suffer after the storm.
The States dont have the money or the resources to do whats was needed in Louisiana. No state does IMO. only the Feds. So why do we have a FEMA and alocate their budgets if we get nothing for it.
I understand your point of people evacuating but some people just cant. Elderly, poor, handycaped, ect. In Florida you have to leave like a week ahead when not sure where the storms going at that time and can end up driveing right into it. Roads get backed up , no gas supplies, hotels, price gouging, lost wages, ect. alot of problems. New orleans had problems with the levies. That was the Core of Eng. responsability ( I think, could be wrong about that )
I know Miss, Ala. also had disaterous effects and their states could do little as well and still cant do much.
The Feds. reacted pretty well with the sunami ( sp ) and the earthquakes in Packistan and it just doesnt make scense to me how they could screw it up so bad right here at home unless they didnt care..

N

nigerfish

They could have goten out but they choose not to, and have to live with the consequences, the buses were ready,willing,and able to get the people out.

N

nigerfish

Not to mention all the people that screw FEMA over, New Orleans residents using the FEMA credit cards in strip clubs and bars, looks like they are having a very hard life. And the fact is how could you give someone help when the people of the city are firing at rescue helicopters with sub-automatic machine guns, that kind of behavior tells me that the people of New Orleans dont really care if they live or die.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Pontius
I would like to know other people's experiences with FEMA. I live in a hurricane area, and I have never known FEMA to "act fast". the two biggest examples that come to mind are Hurricane Hugo in 1989 and Hurricane Floyd in the late 90s. nobody during that time pointed fingers or blamed a racist administration for not taking care of things. and these two hurricanes were nowhere near the threat that Katrina was since South Carolina is above sea level and only has a major body of water on one side. it just seems to me that the whole Louisiana attitude before this hurricane was "oh well, a hurricane's coming". considering the long known threat of the damage a major hurricane could do, why was there no major plan in place BEFORE the hurricane? I'm not saying the federal government doesn't bear some of the responsibility here, but imo, not as much as the state government. SC may not be the greatest state in the country, but we DO know the threat of hurricanes and have major evacuation plans in place. I'm sure this is also true for NC, Georgia, and Florida. so why not Louisiana?
LA has and put a plan in place including a contra flow plan on the interstate system. To the contrary, you saw TX/Houston area not implementing a contra flow plan early enough which led to massive gridlock before Hurricane Rita. When asked how they planned on evacuating those that could not leave...they too had no solution.
over a million people in the greater new orleans area were evacuated using this system of contraflow, etc. The problem was with those that decided to stay. Some will state they should have been bused. In order to get EVERYONE out you would have to have started days before the hurrincane hit and long before it blew up to a Cat 5.
Although the Superdome must have been a horrible place...there is no doubt getting folks to this location saved lives...who knows how many.
many local governments often do not have the resources to totally evacuate a major metropolitan area.
I do agree that if you rely on governemnt to take care of you at any level you will be let down.
some have no choice but to rely on government......as it has been communicated "they will take care of you" and has become an expectation.
The head man himself has already admitted the feds screwed up...but to see requests denied for life saving equipment.....and offers unknown...is AMAZING.
It is hurricane Andrew is South Dade County where FEMA was slow to respond.
Those that wish to make this a race issue is in the business of exploitation. All governemnts city, local, state federal bare some responsibility. but when you see requests denied and nothing else offered you have to wonder regarding the federal reaction.
Let the citizens of my ex-home town and state ask the questions of the local/state officials.
Please site the evacuation plans of the states you list where they guarantee a 100% evacuation based on the state and local resources only. ..and how thay plan on either forcing those to leave...and/or providing state/local transportation for same. Please include areas where populations exceed 1 million and guarantee the plan will succesfully evacuate ALL citizens.

N

nigerfish

Well for your information, when a mandatory evacuation is ordered you take your life into your own hands because the proper personal will not be able to come and rescue you for days, and if you take the option to stay, you ride it out and live with the consequences whether it be death or not.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Nigerfish
Well for your information, when a mandatory evacuation is ordered you take your life into your own hands because the proper personal will not be able to come and rescue you for days, and if you take the option to stay, you ride it out and live with the consequences whether it be death or not.
And when requests are made in advnace for life saving equipment and rejected...this is okay and acceptable?

N

nigerfish

I will say this again. the buses were there to take people out, but the people choose not to.If they would have gone on the buses there would be no discussion about this whole raft issue.The fact of the matter is you take your own life into your hands when you decide to stay, knowing that rescuers might not be able to get to you for days or even weeks, it was not even the responsibilty of the coast guard to come in with helicopters and rescue people, they did it out of the kindness of their heart and God bless them for doing that. We really need to think about the positive things that have happend since Katrina and not always focus on the bad things that happend, because the good far out weighs the bad in this situation.
David

N

nigerfish

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
And when requests are made in advnace for life saving equipment and rejected...this is okay and acceptable?
Yes it is, because you know that no one will be able to come and get you for days or even weeks, the bottom line is that the people of New Orleans should have taken the free ride out.

scubadoo

They could have goten out but they choose not to, and have to live with the consequences, the buses were ready,willing,and able to get the people out.
You are worng..the only buses available brought folks to the Superdome and other locations. None were offerend to get folks out of harms way/town for free . This would be a crticism of the local government...but no one was offered a free ride out of town.

nigertrigg

Well then I would of walked out if there was no way out. If it were me, I would get out of there unless I had a car

N

nigerfish

In fact they were, the buses were on route to go to Houston. Go do some research, because it looks like you know how to do research on the bad parts, now lets see how good you are at researching the good parts.

nigertrigg

In fact they were, the buses were on route to go to Houston. Go do some research, because it looks like you know how to do research on the bad parts, now lets see how good you are at researching the good parts.
No need for that. Lets keep it civil.
Regardless, I am sure if people stepped up or protested, the US would of got them out of there

scubadoo

Not to mention all the people that screw FEMA over, New Orleans residents using the FEMA credit cards in strip clubs and bars, looks like they are having a very hard life. And the fact is how could you give someone help when the people of the city are firing at rescue helicopters with sub-automatic machine guns, that kind of behavior tells me that the people of New Orleans dont really care if they live or die.
All the folks were doing this? All those that stayed behind have this attitude? Everyone had guns? No one cared? Everone has a credit card and is visiting strip clubs? Certainly, those that did this are nothing more than human debris...but to paint with that broad a brush is wrong.
I take offense at your comment as I lived there for 40 years and still have family there. I can assure you many good folks live there and many good folks decided to stay for their own reasons.
My guess is you are not from the City and your comments come from "ignorance" of the situation.
I have friends and family that are struggling including folks that have lost jobs, homes, etc.
You don't have a clue.

scubadoo

Where...bring the documetation here. It was after katrina and before Rita.

nigertrigg

All the folks were doing this? All those that stayed behind have this attitude? Everyone had guns? No one cared? Everone has a credit card and is visiting strip clubs? Certainly, those that did this are nothing more than human debris...but to paint with that broad a brush is wrong.
I take offense at your comment as I lived there for 40 years and still have family there. I can assure you many good folks live there and many good folks decided to stay for their own reasons.
My guess is you are not from the City and your comments come from "ignorance" of the situation.
I have friends and family that are struggling including folks that have lost jobs, homes, etc.
You don't have a clue.
than you win this argument

scubadoo

I will say this again. the buses were there to take people out, but the people choose not to.If they would have gone on the buses there would be no discussion about this whole raft issue.The fact of the matter is you take your own life into your hands when you decide to stay, knowing that rescuers might not be able to get to you for days or even weeks, it was not even the responsibilty of the coast guard to come in with helicopters and rescue people, they did it out of the kindness of their heart and God bless them for doing that. We really need to think about the positive things that have happend since Katrina and not always focus on the bad things that happend, because the good far out weighs the bad in this situation.
David
You bring the bad to the surface to make sure it does not happen again. Much like the slow response from FEMA in South Dade after Andrew......you see the same over a decade later.
he or she that does not learn from history...shall live to see history repeat itself.

N

nigerfish

The fact is that i do have a clue, and i happen to know that the bad people far out weighed the good people, the bad people acted like animals and should be treated like animals. It is sort of like Hitler, he was a terrible person and a scum bag, and because of him many people believe that the Germans are bad people and the same case for the New Orleans people.

N

nigerfish

You bring the bad to the surface to make sure it does not happen again. Much like the slow response from FEMA in South Dade after Andrew......you see the same over a decade later.
he or she that does not learn from history...shall live to see history repeat itself.
The fact is, is "we will never learn from our bad but only from our good."

nigertrigg

The fact is that i do have a clue, and i happen to know that the bad people far out weighed the good people, the bad people acted like animals and should be treated like animals. It is sort of like Hitler, he was a terrible person and a scum bag, and because of him many people believe that the Germans are bad people and the same case for the New Orleans people.

i do agree with this though. Cops were even steeling.

N

nigerfish

And them cops, resigned like cowards for which they are.