JoKe is spelled F-E-M-A

ohioguy06

But i did not let the facts get in the way..........i just choose to state what i felt about the whole matter we all have different feelings

scubadoo

I support the war on terror........but here are the facts regarding the natioanl guard and deployment percentages..as well as available equipment and the condition of same...
''In the four years since 9/11 that we have been at war, equipment has been beaten up, blown up, or simply left behind," said John Goheen of the National Guard Association of the United States. ''States have had to borrow equipment and make do with a lot less equipment. We are short literally thousands of Humvees."
Meanwhile, in Louisiana and Mississippi, the states hit hardest by the hurricane, up to 40 percent of their National Guard troops are on active duty in Iraq. As a result, Guard commanders responding to the storm's havoc have been forced to look further afield for military police and other National Guard units and equipment from states as far away as Maryland, stealing precious time from the relief efforts.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
People can state their opinions, but in these political topics, some derogatory references to the president will likely be taken offensively by those who support Bush and conservatism. Keep that in mind when you post here, and how you state your opinion [on both sides of the political aisle]. Respecting those you do not agree with will go a long way. Disrespect only fuels fires and closes communication.
Threads that result in food fights, and personal agendas will be shut down, no matter how popular or interesting the topic. We leave it up to you as adults to police your own comments and behavior, but if that doesn't happen, then the mods will have to step in.

ohioguy06

I would like to apolagize for my statement.......i should have revised how i felt sorry to all whom i offened and my post was deleted i would like to see this thread stay alive it has alot of good info!
Sincerely
Rich

ohioguy06

I guess what i was wondering is why cant the goverement overturn what fema takes and doesnt take............i thought if it was federal the goverment was able to regulate then.......someone help me to try to understand.

scubadoo

The purpose of the thread is to point out problems with FEMA. What I am finding alarming as the hearngs continue is just how unprepared this agency was. We must remember this agency along with Homeland Security is responsible for responding in times of emergency on the federal level. This has far reaches to all corners of this country.
Katrina sent a calling card in advance....perhaps the next emergency willl not...will FEMA be ready? Will all the states, cities and local municipalities be ready?
We should expect and demand better form our federal, state and local agencies. Certainly federal should be of interest to all...hence the focus on FEMA.
The next disaster could be in your hometown....do yoyu feel your state and local governmet is prepared? If not, do you feel comfortable with the FEMA performance?

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Ohioguy06
I guess what i was wondering is why cant the goverement overturn what fema takes and doesnt take............i thought if it was federal the goverment was able to regulate then.......someone help me to try to understand.
it is the nature of the beast...the animal is too big for one person or a few people to control. Probably should be run by the military.....not some attorney for some pony organization. ...mistake #1.

ohioguy06

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
The purpose of the thread is to point out problems with FEMA. What I am finding alarming as the hearngs continue is just how unprepared this agency was. We must remember this agency along with Homeland Security is responsible for responding in times of emergency on the federal level. This has far reaches to all corners of this country.
Katrina sent a calling card in advance....perhaps the next emergency willl not...will FEMA be ready? Will all the states, cities and local municipalities be ready?
We should expect and demand better form our federal, state and local agencies. Certainly federal should be of interest to all...hence the focus on FEMA.
The next disaster could be in your hometown....do yoyu feel your state and local governmet is prepared? If not, do you feel comfortable with the FEMA performance?
Scuba i would have to agree that fema's reaction time and help is under par by a ways......when charley hit Punta gorda along with fortmeyers 2 yrs ago it was hard to get help luckly my mom had moved back but i was stuck at the house trying to get it sold when he destroyed it which prolonged the sale so there for i had to stay longer..... not only did i not see any official help but had no power for a couple weeks cant remember how long i try not to remember those days in tropical h...!. Would i move back to florida in a heart beat i was born and raised there i love it i grew up on the waters but till fema gets a little better i wont feel safe to live there therfore i will stay in ohio!

scubadoo

As New Orleans went under water a desparate plea went out...things changed after this night for the better. What ever your opinion is/was of the Mayor of N.O....his interview may shed some light on how desparate the situation was. In a country that has so much.....you get the sense how vulnerable we are despite are many assets....on all levels of government...when we are unprepared.
If you care to listen to the entire interview.......
http://www.atypical.net/mm/nagin.mp3

ohioguy06

As New Orleans went under water a desparate plea went out...things changed after this night for the better. What ever your opinion is/was of the Mayor of N.O....his interview may shed some light on how desparate the situation was. In a country that has so much.....you get the sense how vulnerable we are despite are many assets....on all levels of government...when we are unprepared.
If you care to listen to the entire interview.......
http://www.atypical.net/mm/nagin.mp3
Do you have anymore of these scuba..............that was a big ask for help.

scubadoo

Aaron Broussard Jefferson Parish President transcript from Meet the Press...
Mr. Broussard: It's not just Katrina that caused all these deaths in New Orleans here. Bureaucracy has committed murder here in the greater New Orleans area and bureaucracy has to stand trial before Congress now. It's so obvious.
Mr. Russert: Hold on. Hold on, sir. Shouldn't the mayor of New Orleans and the governor of New Orleans bear some responsibility? Couldn't they have been much more forceful, much more effective and much more organized in evacuating the area?
Mr. Broussard: Sir, they were told, like me, every single day, "The cavalry is coming." On the federal level, "The cavalry is coming. The cavalry's coming. The cavalry's coming." The guy who runs this building I'm in, emergency management, he's responsible for everything. His mother was trapped in St. Bernard Nursing Home and every day she called him and said, "Are you coming, son? Is somebody coming?" And he said, "Yeah, Mama. Somebody's coming to get you. Somebody's coming to get you on Tuesday." "Somebody's coming to get you on Wednesday." "Somebody's coming to get you on Thursday." "Somebody's coming to get you on Friday." And she drowned Friday night. She drowned Friday night.
Mr. Russert: Mr. President...
Mr. Broussard: Nobody's coming to get us. Nobody's coming to get us. The secretary has promised. Everybody's promised. They've had press conferences. I'm sick of the press conferences. For God sakes, shut up and send us somebody.

scubadoo

Offers of desperately-needed equipment/supplies were also turned down by FEMA in Slidell, supposedly due to bureaucratic regulations -- Slidell mayor Ben Morris (audio, transcript): "They have turned generators away from us. They´ve turned fuel away from us because they determine, or the driver determined, that it wasn´t the correct spot to put it. The generators ... oh, the site hadn´t been inspected yet. We´ve gotta bring an inspector to see where the thing is going. ...We have heard that FEMA or some federal agencies are going around seizing equipment from our contractors...

ohioguy06

Offers of desperately-needed equipment/supplies were also turned down by FEMA in Slidell, supposedly due to bureaucratic regulations -- Slidell mayor Ben Morris (audio, transcript): "They have turned generators away from us. They´ve turned fuel away from us because they determine, or the driver determined, that it wasn´t the correct spot to put it. The generators ... oh, the site hadn´t been inspected yet. We´ve gotta bring an inspector to see where the thing is going. ...We have heard that FEMA or some federal agencies are going around seizing equipment from our contractors...
it is honestly a sad thing........doesnt seem like fema took anything........they wouldnt accept anything......i'd find that hard to beilieve. and who is to determine the correct spot in a national emergency............

scubadoo

We had Wal-Mart deliver three trucks of water, trailer trucks of water. FEMA turned them back. They said we didn't need them. This was a week ago. FEMA--we had 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel on a Coast Guard vessel docked in my parish. The Coast Guard said, "Come get the fuel right away." When we got there with our trucks, they got a word. "FEMA says don't give you the fuel." Yesterday--yesterday--FEMA comes in and cuts all of our emergency communication lines. They cut them without notice. Our sheriff, Harry Lee, goes back in, he reconnects the line. He posts armed guards on our line and says, "No one is getting near these lines."-Aaron Broussard

ohioguy06

We had Wal-Mart deliver three trucks of water, trailer trucks of water. FEMA turned them back. They said we didn't need them. This was a week ago. FEMA--we had 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel on a Coast Guard vessel docked in my parish. The Coast Guard said, "Come get the fuel right away." When we got there with our trucks, they got a word. "FEMA says don't give you the fuel." Yesterday--yesterday--FEMA comes in and cuts all of our emergency communication lines. They cut them without notice. Our sheriff, Harry Lee, goes back in, he reconnects the line. He posts armed guards on our line and says, "No one is getting near these lines."-Aaron Broussard
Very sad........what would be the point in cutting lines and turning people away from supplies.

scubadoo

MAYOR BEN MORRIS, SLIDELL, LOUISIANA: Well, within -- and I'll speak within the city limits of Slidell, initially. We have most probably 85 percent of our homes have received some damage. We have some that have been devastated. I expect to have somewhere between 10,000 to 15,000 homeless people within the city limits. Within ten- mile radius of our city, we have another -- well, we have a total of about 80,000 people, many of whom have had total loss of their homes and substantial damage.
Our big problem is finding homes for these folks. And I know the parish president has requested trailer homes, etc. for, you know, those residents. I've requested them for the first responders that work this area. And we've not had any luck yet.
S. O'BRIEN: So you've got a lot of problems on a lot of fronts. We've been showing pictures, Mr. Mayor, as you were talking, of just how bad the damage is where you are. Did you hear anything from the president that gave you hope about all of those problems you just listed for me?
MORRIS: Yes, I did. And I appreciate the efforts, the long-term efforts. The problem that exists right now is I have immediate needs and I have yet to see a substantial presence from FEMA. My people have no FEMA reps to talk to. And this has been the most frustrating thing of the whole bit. They have disaster recovery centers all over the state of Louisiana, some damn near in Arkansas, and that is not doing us any good here.
We are the second worst hit city in the state of Louisiana. You know, in New Orleans, obviously, taking, you know, in retrospect, the greatest amount of damage. But comparatively speaking, we're almost in as bad shape. We've had homes here that had eight, ten feet of water in them. And that beautiful blue black mud that came in, that you were talking about in St. Bernard parish, we have many homes that have 10 or 12 inches of that stuff inside the houses.

scubadoo

Ben Morris is the Republican mayor of Slidell, Louisiana, just northeast of New Orleans. Slidell is the largest town in St. Tammany Parish, which in 2004 voted for George W. Bush over John Kerry by a convincing margin of 75 percent to 25 percent.
Here is what Mayor Morris had to say on Monday:
"We are still hampered by some of the most stupid, idiotic regulations by FEMA. They have turned away generators, we've heard that they've gone around seizing equipment from our contractors. If they do so, they'd better be armed because I'll be damned if I'm going to let them deprive our citizens. I'm pissed off, and tired of this horse$#--."

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Ohioguy06
I wonder how much of this is still currently going on for the people whom have gone back
It settled quickly after the brief negative press......things are still depressing back home as far as devestation, etc. My sister just went back home from here a few weeks ago as she found a job. She leved in the burbs and received little damage...but her employer was in new Orlleans and has no plans of reopening...the entire sign business was lost.