JoKe is spelled F-E-M-A

scubadoo

Originally Posted by nigertrigg
How about the difference of getting out of there vs. staying there
You would have to drive to baton Rouge to be sagfe...90 miles. No shelters/hotels which is why folks ended up in TX and later all over the country.
Regrading the buses as previously mentioned...the RTA (Regional Transit Authority) and Orleans Parsih School Board (AP picture of the bus yard) have a combined fleet total of about 500 buses. At most they can each carry a max of 40 people...with those handicapped special needs buses only capable of about half this number. Factor in the buses in the fleet retained for parts purposes and non-operational .....and those that are down due to repirs you get closer to 400 or perhaps even less. Assuming you can get 40 folks per bus this would equal 16,000 in one trip assuming 100% operational 100% of some stated evacuation time.
Since shelters were unavailable folks would have to be bused to Tx are farther north, east or west. East is not an option as the storm is predicted to go in that direction.
if an estimated 100,000 needed transportaiton I calculate at least 5 roundtrips with about 400 buses. Once contraflow starts how do the buses get back in to transport folks?
If you were lucky and could make two roundtrips with the available transportation in New Orleans you would need 1250 full operational 40 maximum capacity buses and/or 5 roundtrips with the transportation available. ..to some acceptable location of shelter the same distance each time and near by. A logistical nightmare for a local muncipality to pull off where folks need to go outside a 90-100 east/north direction .assuming suitable shelter existed and was available just outside this direction.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by lovethesea
I don't think anyone said to fill it in. They are going to have to take a good hard look at what has been done to the Mississippi and trying to get it to go where they wanted it to go.
At some point some of that land is going to have to be given back to mother nature to help in the prevention of this happening again.
The federal government made a decision to only protect this area against a Cat 3 storm. A plan was submitted which mirrored in some aspects what was done in Holland/Netherlands and the North Sea but was shot down due to the price tag. As I recall it would have cost a projected 15-18 billion. The feds decided to gamble that a Cat 4-5 strom would be a rare event in this area. If it happened...it would probably be on someone elses "watch". Well, the rare event happened..at at a fraction of the ultimate cost to this country it could have been avoided.
Given the national interest in the port and pertroleum industry in this area , it was in the national interest to provide the protection against a Cat 5.
The New Orleans area was viewed as the prize jewel of the LA Purchase because of the location.

scubadoo

Because you are below sea leval does not mean you have no way to protect......look at the Dutch...
Ambassador Van Eenennaam went to New Orleans to offer the continued assistance of the Netherlands on water management issues. More than two-thirds of the Netherlands is at or below sea-level, and the Dutch -- with more than 1000 years water management experience -- have developed a world-class system of barriers, levees, sluices, gates and pumps to protect the country from flooding.
The visit by the Ambassador is the latest step in the cooperation between the Netherlands and the United States since Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. The Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water have a memorandum of agreement with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to share information on water issues. Soon after Katrina hit, the Dutch government sent water management experts and mobile water pumps to New Orleans to de-water the city. Ambassador Van Eenennaam will host Senator Landrieu and a bipartisan delegation of federal, state and local US officials to the Netherlands. The delegation will meet with Dutch officials in the government, non-profit and private sectors, as well as water management and environmental experts.

scubadoo

............Your local newspapers have written much about the Netherlands lately. But let me remind you of some key facts. Rotterdam is the world’s second largest port. It is the lifeblood of the Dutch economy and a key transit point for European trade. It is also 23 feet below sea level. Amsterdam is our Capitol, the cultural and financial heart of the country. It is about 12 feet below sea level. The rich soils of our polders - the land reclaimed from the sea - yield the fresh fruits, vegetables, dairy, pork and flowers that adorn Europe’s dinner table. Lining our rivers are numerous economic centres. Estuaries in the southern Netherlands and along the North Sea produce bountiful catches of shellfish and sea-food.
Indeed, 70% of Dutch GDP is produced at or below sea level. We live, we work, we teach, we learn, we worship and we play in flood-prone areas. Yet we feel safe and secure behind our dikes and levees. Ask a Dutchman if he is afraid of water, and he’ll tell you “no, but we need to be vigilant.” And we are.
I just described the Netherlands. I do not need to describe New Orleans and the Gulf Coast to you. The conclusion, my friends, is so simple: we have a lot in common!

scubadoo

Originally Posted by 5280_humu
Nice phot shop work. If you belive this is a real picture then well I guess you'll even belive that the mods won't catch on to you AGAIN.
Good grief..is that the master lock once again? As soon as he/she appears the threads get locked and the individual(s) get booted.
Like a bad rash...can't get rid of it..

ohioguy06

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
Good grief..is that the master lock once again? As soon as he/she appears the threads get locked and the individual(s) get booted.
Like a bad rash...can't get rid of it..

nice one suba

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Ohioguy06
But as alot probably think fema is a joke and needs to fixed up.
If you research the executive orders related to Fema, you quickly relaize their main role is to make sure the government is not overthrown and remians in power etc. This is why they were placed under Homeland Security.
If you have some time place Fema executive orders in Google and read away.

ohioguy06

If you research the executive orders related to Fema, you quickly relaize their main role is to make sure the government is not overthrown and remians in power etc. This is why they were placed under Homeland Security.
I will have to that scuba.........i appreciate the info you givin would love to hear more if you have it....... More about wetlands do they ever plan on replenshing it?

lovethesea

I'll save you some time. Scuba had me google the multiplyer effect awhile back and I had so much to read I thought I was gonna have to have my eyes checked.

This was in the same discussion from Scuba.....sorry, I don't know how to quote from another thread.
Executive Order Number 12148 created the Federal Emergency Management Agency that is to interface with the Department of Defense for civil defense planning and funding.
Executive Order Number 12656 appointed the National Security Council as the principal body that should consider emergency powers. This allows the government to increase domestic intelligence and surveillance of U.S. citizens and would restrict the freedom of movement within the United States and grant the government the right to isolate large groups of civilians. The National Guard could be federalized to seal all borders and take control of U.S. air space and all ports of entry. Here are just a few Executive Orders associated with FEMA that would suspend the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. These Executive Orders have been on record for nearly 30 years and could be enacted by the stroke of a Presidential pen:
EXECUTIVE ORDER 10990 allows the government to take over all modes of transportation and control of highways and seaports.
EXECUTIVE ORDER 10995 allows the government to seize and control the communication media.
EXECUTIVE ORDER 10997 allows the government to take over all electrical power, gas, petroleum, fuels and minerals.
EXECUTIVE ORDER 10998 allows the government to take over all food resources and farms.
EXECUTIVE ORDER 11000 allows the government to mobilize civilians into work brigades under government supervision.
EXECUTIVE ORDER 11001 allows the government to take over all health, education and welfare functions.
EXECUTIVE ORDER 11002 designates the Postmaster General to operate a national registration of all persons.
EXECUTIVE ORDER 11003 allows the government to take over all airports and aircraft, including commercial aircraft.
EXECUTIVE ORDER 11004 allows the Housing and Finance Authority to relocate communities, build new housing with public funds, designate areas to be abandoned, and establish new locations for populations.
EXECUTIVE ORDER 11005 allows the government to take over railroads, inland waterways and public storage facilities.
EXECUTIVE ORDER 11051 specifies the responsibility of the Office of Emergency Planning and gives authorization to put all Executive Orders into effect in times of increased international tensions and economic or financial crisis.
EXECUTIVE ORDER 11310 grants authority to the Department of Justice to enforce the plans set out in Executive Orders, to institute industrial support, to establish judicial and legislative liaison, to control all aliens, to operate penal and correctional institutions, and to advise and assist the President.
EXECUTIVE ORDER 11049 assigns emergency preparedness function to federal departments and agencies, consolidating 21 operative Executive Orders issued over a fifteen year period.
EXECUTIVE ORDER 11921 allows the Federal Emergency Preparedness Agency to develop plans to establish control over the mechanisms of production and distribution, of energy sources, wages, salaries, credit and the flow of money in U.S. financial institution in any undefined national emergency. It also provides that when a state of emergency is declared by the President, Congress cannot review the action for six months.

ohioguy06

Originally Posted by lovethesea
I think they need to be revised and actually placed under another authority.
Thank you lovethesea thats crazy i never realized that the friggin gov could do that.................. your correct they do need to be placed under diff authority.

scubadoo

KATRINA AND FEMA
FEMA, which has endlessly drilled for such situations, has been complicit in hindering outside efforts to help in the wake of the disaster. After the authorities in Baton Rouge had prepared a field hospital for victims of the storm, FEMA sent its first batch of supplies, all of which were designed for use against chemical attack, including drugs such as Cipro, which is designed for use against anthrax. The London Guardian reported, "We called them up and asked them: 'Why did you send that, and they said that's what it says in the book'," said a Baton Rouge official.
According to Jefferson Parish President Aaron Broussard, Federal bureaucrats have 'Murdered' the Flood Victims in New Orleans. Broussard stated on Meet The Press that " We have been abandoned by our own country." He broke down in tears as he described how FEMA has cut emergency communication lines and has been turning back fuel and water supplies being sent by outside agencies such as Wal Mart. This is because the Federal Government wants complete control over the situation. Broussard, speaking through his tears re-iterated "nobody's coming to get us, nobody's coming...for God's sake shut up and send somebody."
Local officials no longer have any authority and have been forcibly evacuated, even despite the fact that they wished to stay and oversee the recovery efforts.
Even American Red Cross officials have said that FEMA authorities would not allow them to deliver aid. "The Homeland Security Department has requested and continues to request that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans," said Renita Hosler, spokeswoman for the Red Cross.
Former FEMA officials have admitted that Government disaster officials had an action plan if a major hurricane hit New Orleans. They simply didn't execute it when Hurricane Katrina struck. Ronald Castleman, the former regional director for the Federal Emergency Management Agency and John Copenhaver, a former FEMA regional director during the Clinton administration who led the response to Hurricane Floyd in 1999, said they were bewildered by the slow FEMA response.

ohioguy06

KATRINA AND FEMA
FEMA, which has endlessly drilled for such situations, has been complicit in hindering outside efforts to help in the wake of the disaster. After the authorities in Baton Rouge had prepared a field hospital for victims of the storm, FEMA sent its first batch of supplies, all of which were designed for use against chemical attack, including drugs such as Cipro, which is designed for use against anthrax. The London Guardian reported, "We called them up and asked them: 'Why did you send that, and they said that's what it says in the book'," said a Baton Rouge official.
According to Jefferson Parish President Aaron Broussard, Federal bureaucrats have 'Murdered' the Flood Victims in New Orleans. Broussard stated on Meet The Press that " We have been abandoned by our own country." He broke down in tears as he described how FEMA has cut emergency communication lines and has been turning back fuel and water supplies being sent by outside agencies such as Wal Mart. This is because the Federal Government wants complete control over the situation. Broussard, speaking through his tears re-iterated "nobody's coming to get us, nobody's coming...for God's sake shut up and send somebody."
Local officials no longer have any authority and have been forcibly evacuated, even despite the fact that they wished to stay and oversee the recovery efforts.
Even American Red Cross officials have said that FEMA authorities would not allow them to deliver aid. "The Homeland Security Department has requested and continues to request that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans," said Renita Hosler, spokeswoman for the Red Cross.
Former FEMA officials have admitted that Government disaster officials had an action plan if a major hurricane hit New Orleans. They simply didn't execute it when Hurricane Katrina struck. Ronald Castleman, the former regional director for the Federal Emergency Management Agency and John Copenhaver, a former FEMA regional director during the Clinton administration who led the response to Hurricane Floyd in 1999, said they were bewildered by the slow FEMA response.
I dont understand why the federal goverment would turn away help and aid from others and the red cross come on now...........That son of a bush that we call president has misled our country greatly........he has the pwer to determine these things and override fema.......if he cared as much as he says he does he woulda done somthing bout it.........

37g joe

What Gets me is that people are saying that since the louisana national Guard was deployed in Iraq that they could not help with reliefe efforts. This is a bold face lie !!!!
By Federal Law no more than 50 percent of any states national gaurd can be deployed. actually about 75% of the louisanana national gaurd was staioned in lousiana at the time of the hurricaine. By LAw only the Govennor of a state can mobilze the national gaurd for activity inside the state. Fema nor the president could enfoce her to make her mobilze the state gaurd (Kathleen Blanco state Govenor). She decided not to act if any one should be held responsible it would be her but wait the media chooses what to ignore. and due to that choice the people remain Ignorant of the facts.

37g joe

Originally Posted by Ohioguy06
I dont understand why the federal goverment would turn away help and aid from others and the red cross come on now...........That son of a bush that we call president has misled our country greatly........he has the pwer to determine these things and override fema.......if he cared as much as he says he does he woulda done somthing bout it.........
have you ever heard balance of powers. The president is not a king he has guidlines he has to folow and he cant just make Fema do what he wants thier are steps in place and if he chooses to not follow those steps than he is breaking the law. but I guess that reallyu does not mater to you the facts just get in the way of your argument.

ohioguy06

Originally Posted by 37g Joe
have you ever heard balance of powers. The president is not a king he has guidlines he has to folow and he cant just make Fema do what he wants thier are steps in place and if he chooses to not follow those steps than he is breaking the law. but I guess that reallyu does not mater to you the facts just get in the way of your argument.
Why would u direct a comment at me like that joe? it was my opinion.