Just Added A Tang To A 38 Gal

srfisher17

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2536376
Agreed but neither is right.
I agree your tank your choice. But I hate when people confuse science with selfishness. Most people overload their tanks, or buy a mandarine for their 30 gallon to 'test it out' and 'see if it works.' Its 'just experiementing' when the reality is there is nothing scientific about testings somthing that has already been proven (or is accepted law). If it was a true experiement they would have another environment (the proper one) for the fish in case things do go sour, but the reality is they don't.
They want to claim it is just an experiement when the reality it is their selfishness and lack of patients. Then blame other factors like 'a bad salt batch' or 'ick' on the dealths, when in reality it was their ignorance and selfishness.
Just don't get the two confused.
I know what you mean; it just seems it is easy to turn fish hobbiest thoughts into personal, moral attacks, and it always seems to involve tangs....not on this thread yet, though....and I guess I'm guilty of just reading too much into things sometimes

T

touchthesky00

UPDATE:
he just bought a 55 gal yesterday and switchwed everything over into that new system

king kole

a fish, tang or otherwise, can't get ich because of the size of the tank, it can stress to death but not from the parasite if it's not on the fish before placing in tank it won't 'appear'.

dkfloyd

Lion Crazz,
Thank you for your response. I came on this forum to learn. Learn before I did some really dumb things. One thing I learned not to do is to put a tang into my 24 gal. nano tank.
There is also a thing called being humane. Why would you want to put a tang in a 24 gal or smaller tank anyway, and so on.

m0nk

Originally Posted by touchthesky00
http:///forum/post/2541534
UPDATE:
he just bought a 55 gal yesterday and switchwed everything over into that new system
Still not a suitable environment for that fish. He should have gone much bigger if he was upgrading just for that fish.

thommyboy121

Even if it is in a 55 gallon now......it takes time for a fish to grow.....you can always sell fish so it doesn't matter....Also, if it gets stressed you can just sell it...the fish is small....and i think SWF.com knows what they are talking about when they say the min amt is 40 gal... if you can do the math 55 - 40 = 15 gallons MORE than the min

scsinet

Originally Posted by King Kole
http:///forum/post/2541554
a fish, tang or otherwise, can't get ich because of the size of the tank, it can stress to death but not from the parasite if it's not on the fish before placing in tank it won't 'appear'.
Stress reduces the slime coat and suppresses the immune system. Reduced slime coat allows parasites to attach more easily.
Ergo, improper tank size causes stress which leads to ich. It's not a sure thing, to be sure. In reality, stress leads to any number of illnesses caused by the reduced immune system.
Generally speaking to this thread at large... there is a difference between going against conventional wisdom on your own versus touting it as "knowledge." If you individually decide to try a fish in a tank size that is by and large considered to be too small, that's your choice. However, to post and suggest that because you perceived it to work (and I say perceived because I see people all the time draw conclusions in WAYYYY to short of a period of time... vis-a-vis... 8 months) that conventional wisdom is wrong is only being a negligent individual in the hobby. One has a responsibility to be very careful about what they teach, either intentionally or not.

alix2.0

Originally Posted by thommyboy121
http:///forum/post/2541916
and i think SWF.com knows what they are talking about when they say the min amt is 40 gal... if you can do the math 55 - 40 = 15 gallons MORE than the min
SWF is a store. if they said that tangs need massive tanks they would sell a lot less tangs. Also, for the size of the fish they are selling (tiny juvies) 40 is an acceptable tank size FOR THE TIME BEING. when the fish grow up you will have to move them to a bigger tank.

mcbdz

My juvi hippo doubled it's size in 5 months. They grow very fast. Just a little info incase somebody is thinking of puttin a juvi in a small tank until it out grows it.

scsinet

Originally Posted by mcbdz
http:///forum/post/2542112
My juvi hippo doubled it's size in 5 months. They grow very fast. Just a little info incase somebody is thinking of puttin a juvi in a small tank until it out grows it.
To add to that.... also remember that a juvi in a too-small-for-adult tank will become stressed and begin to suffer associated ill effects well before it becomes apparently, visibly too large for the tank. A lot of people go down this road thinking when the fish gets too big, they'll upgrade. Fine, but be sure that you understand that you need to upgrade before the fish gets too big.

spiderwoman

I wouldn't be proud to announce a tang in a 38 gallons. Like someone said here before, it's his tank, but a very irresponsible action.

I do believe that if you get a very small tang, like 1.5 inches (a baby) and can provide a stable environment for it even if it is 30-55 gallons. And do know that you have about 1 year, maybe sooner, where you will have to move it, and have that ability, then I don't see a problem.
You do have to take the health of the fish in mind, no need to make them suffer. I have seen many tangs in Nano's, but of course their health was monitored and there was the ability to move them. Out of these situations, I have not seen any losses, or ill health.
What I think is not appropriate, is just buying one, not knowing what you are going to do with it if it gets sick or too big.
One thing my LFS has offered to people, if they want one (and he does tell them they are NOT suitable for certain tanks) is the ability to bring them back and he will exchange for a smaller one again. Nice thing with this is he sells the bigger ones for a few extra buck, and hobbiest gets another, and the fish move on to bigger and better.
Just my 2 cents

K

kikithemermaid

Okay everyone take a deep breath. -breathes-
Some guy at my LFS suggested I get a blue hippo or Yellow tang for my 28 gallon! Luckily I knew better from you guys.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Lesleybird
http:///forum/post/2570407
I can't believe that advice is coming from you! I thought you were better than that!
That wasn't my advice. My advice was that the Tang will have the odds stacked way against it in that small tank. What you quoted was my view of reality. If he doesn't care about the health of the Tang it's his tank and he can put any fish that will fit in there if he really wants to.
Since the Tang is already in the tank and he has already ignored the wise advise of his friend (the OP) why waste time with it?

Now, after saying what I said above, I do have a question. I have a 28 gallon Nano, but will be building a bigger tank to go along with it. What should I build to accomodate a couple tangs and then various smaller species? Would a 75 gallon be ok, or should I go 125 gallon? I know you will all say 125g, but 75 gallon would fit better where I want to put it, just want opinions? Thanks in advance.

wangotango

Originally Posted by globaldesigns
http:///forum/post/2571279
Now, after saying what I said above, I do have a question. I have a 28 gallon Nano, but will be building a bigger tank to go along with it. What should I build to accomodate a couple tangs and then various smaller species? Would a 75 gallon be ok, or should I go 125 gallon? I know you will all say 125g, but 75 gallon would fit better where I want to put it, just want opinions? Thanks in advance.
In a 75 gallon no tang would work long-term, there just isn't enough space to move or enough rock for them to graze on. They would be fine as a juvenile but not as adults.
-Justin

bang guy

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/2571383
In a 75 gallon no tang would work long-term, there just isn't enough space to move or enough rock for them to graze on. They would be fine as a juvenile but not as adults.
-Justin

What do you think about a Kole Tang in a 75?