Just picked up my 450 gallon!!

crimzy

To say this thing was a little heavy would be like saying journeyman or Darth is slightly right wing.
In short, it was a beast. 4 of us, 2 full size vans. And a lot of sweating, grunting, swearing, etc.
As you can see the tank is full of algae. I have some work to do on it before I move it into the house. It's going to be a wild project.

crimzy

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2598941
Nice! What are you going to have in it? What size sump/ref or full water volume planned? Closed loop?
The pvc on the top are for the 2 closed loops. I will transfer my current stock into the tank, which is a yellow stingray, black volitan lion, miniatus grouper, blond naso, purple tang, blue hippo and 2 yellow tangs. I think that I am going to give a couple of delicate species a try. Specifically, I want a blue dot ray and 2 moorish idols.
The filtration is an 85 gallon refugium and a 150 gallon sump... should be a bit over 600 gallons total.

scotts

Holy Moly Batman!! A 450, what is one heck of a tank. You say you had 2 full size vans, my first thought was that your tank was so big you had to put the tank in 2 vans, one drving forward and one driving backward.

An easy way to clean that tank is to get one of those razor blade scarpers, throw you daughter in the tank with the scraper and give her a crisp $1 bill if she gets it all clean.

groupergenius

Ya, it would only take 2 of us right wingers, a F150, and a 6 pack of beer to move that goldfish bowl.

Sweet find, Crimzy. How hard is it to clean that coraline off the acrylic without scratching it? Is there some kind of neutralizer that would kind of strip it? Are you going in-wall?
(Where's the jealous smilie???)

spiderwoman

Scott!!!!! Now that actually is a pretty good idea, but get Scott a plane ticket and he'll come and clean it for you. All you need to do is give him a few beers
He already knows how to use the razor blade scrapers :)

crimzy

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
http:///forum/post/2598949
Ya, it would only take 2 of us right wingers, a F150, and a 6 pack of beer to move that goldfish bowl.

Sweet find, Crimzy. How hard is it to clean that coraline off the acrylic without scratching it? Is there some kind of neutralizer that would kind of strip it? Are you going in-wall?
(Where's the jealous smilie???)
It actually shouldn't be that hard. I've been advised that if you spray it down with a vinegar solution a couple times then the algae will dry up and flake right off. Not going to be in wall. The stand is actually finished but we had to take off the outer layer and cut it in half to get it out the door.

Originally Posted by Scotts
http:///forum/post/2598947
Holy Moly Batman!! A 450, what is one heck of a tank. You say you had 2 full size vans, my first thought was that your tank was so big you had to put the tank in 2 vans, one drving forward and one driving backward.

An easy way to clean that tank is to get one of those razor blade scarpers, throw you daughter in the tank with the scraper and give her a crisp $1 bill if she gets it all clean.

im not sure how welll that would work on acrylic. would it scratch

scotts

****Disclaimer**** Do not use a scraper on an acrylic tank.
Hire Spiderwoman's kids to wipe the side of the tank with Vinegar. They can fit in the tank and will work cheaper than I will.
Crimzy, I like what you are going to stock in that tank. Sounds like it will be a definite show piece. I am sure you have looked into this, but do you have a good spot for it in your house? We had a hard time finding a good place for our 125.

crimzy

Originally Posted by Scotts
http:///forum/post/2598978
Crimzy, I like what you are going to stock in that tank. Sounds like it will be a definite show piece. I am sure you have looked into this, but do you have a good spot for it in your house? We had a hard time finding a good place for our 125.
Yeah, we are putting it into the front room (not sure if it's a living room or a family room
). We had to move the cable hookup and we are painting the room before it goes in, not to mention the plumbing that's being installed into the basement. I am also reinforcing the floor. Lots to do.

R

regina13

Can you put moorish idols and stingrays together? I always heard that rays give off a lot of bio load, and moorish idols can't take it.

crimzy

Originally Posted by regina13
http:///forum/post/2599009
Can you put moorish idols and stingrays together? I always heard that rays give off a lot of bio load, and moorish idols can't take it.

Idols are very delicate... but so are blue dot rays. Both require very high water quality. If I can keep the water quality high with good filtration and regular water changes, then I think it'll work out.

HOLY you know what! That thing is HUGE! I wish I had one! Where do you put something like that! That thing is sweet even when it is dirty! It reminds me of the tanks at Animal Kingdom in the Rain Forest Cafe in Disney World. The guy had to get in scuba gear to clean it! Can you imagine suiting up to clean your tank and swimming with your fish! That would ROCK!

sulley

i know a easy way to get it clean!!! i heard DROOL works well on coraline; Invite a couple of us over to just stand around it for a hour with a beer in our hands
........... good luck with it awesome

coachklm

regardless of how you get off the coraline and algea your going to want to buff and polish inside and out before getting it up.. I would agree with the vinigar solution spray , then scrape it off with a credit card if you use a spray bottle and spritz with water and scrape at the same time you'll save yourself some time.
get some novus for the final scratch removal and polishing kit..
yes.. I have a 270 acrylic it works fine.