Just Venting...........

poniegirl

I wonder if our acceptance of other cultures is one attribute that has made us the nation of power that we are. I think one can hold so tightly to a point that the point is actually lost.
The United States is so diverse from the beginning that it is inspiring to me (1/8 Choctaw) to see that people from other countries thrive here. People who may have the same mind-set that we do. "Live and let live".

37g joe

Well what if I was to tell you that in England that now their is a certain group that does not have to pay interest on Student loans or home loans. the reason why because their relegion Forbids paying interest and in order not to offend them they dont have to pay the same fee's as everyone else. They also have sepearate accounts set up so that their money wont be defiled by western money. Could you Imagen If I said I dont want my money to touch that persons money be cause then my money well be defiled. sounds pretty racist. Lets see if any one can guess which group this is.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by 37g Joe
Well what if I was to tell you that in England that now their is a certain group that does not have to pay interest on Student loans or home loans. the reason why because their relegion Forbids paying interest and in order not to offend them they dont have to pay the same fee's as everyone else. They also have sepearate accounts set up so that their money wont be defiled by western money. Could you Imagen If I said I dont want my money to touch that persons money be cause then my money well be defiled. sounds pretty racist. Lets see if any one can guess which group this is.
Wow, that is outrageous Joe. I have not heard of that one.

sign guy

Originally Posted by 37g Joe

ummm............let me guess ..........is there leader always hidding in a cave

tx reef

Originally Posted by sign guy
ummm............let me guess ..........is there leader always hidding in a cave
:hilarious

scgator

I think that you will find, if you do the research, that most (if not all) people have been persecuted or enslaved. Let's not forget the "NO DOGS OR IRISH" signs at the end of the 19th century when the potato famine caused a mass Irish migration. My great-grandmother came over at that time and said she could not go into most places. She had to go around back, use different facilities, etc. (sound familiar?).
Let's also not forget that most slaves were sold into slavery by other africans, either as prisoners of tribal wars or by their own tribe.
The problem is that we, as a nation, have forgotten that our greatest strength can also be our greatest weakness. Our diversity should not be used to divide us, but to unite us. It's a shame that we think of ourselves as seperate races instead of AMERICANS. I challenge ANYONE to prove to me that our differences are more than superficial. I bet that your blood is as red as mine. Do you hurt when insulted? WOW so do I. Oh, wait my eyes are blue, hair brown, skin white...that must mean that I'm special, right? BULLSH_T! All it really means is that I get sunburned easier than my brothers that have more melonin.
The reason we study the past IS TO LEARN NOT TO MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES! Not to chew on regurgitated old hurts or wrongs.
I better stop here before my blood pressure gets up any further. Just so you know my lineage is 25% Cherokee (Trail of Tears), 25% Irish. The rest is a majority Scottish borderlands (see Braveheart for details of English oppression) with a smattering of Dutch to round it out. If we look at it most of us have SEVERAL ancestors that were persecuted. Our ancestors came to the United States to get away from persecution, not to have their sons and daughters WALLOW in it!
Sorry for the length...I got carried away.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by scgator
I think that you will find, if you do the research, that most (if not all) people have been persecuted or enslaved. Let's not forget the "NO DOGS OR IRISH" signs at the end of the 19th century when the potato famine caused a mass Irish migration. My great-grandmother came over at that time and said she could not go into most places. She had to go around back, use different facilities, etc. (sound familiar?).
Let's also not forget that most slaves were sold into slavery by other africans, either as prisoners of tribal wars or by their own tribe.
The problem is that we, as a nation, have forgotten that our greatest strength can also be our greatest weakness. Our diversity should not be used to divide us, but to unite us. It's a shame that we think of ourselves as seperate races instead of AMERICANS. I challenge ANYONE to prove to me that our differences are more than superficial. I bet that your blood is as red as mine. Do you hurt when insulted? WOW so do I. Oh, wait my eyes are blue, hair brown, skin white...that must mean that I'm special, right? BULLSH_T! All it really means is that I get sunburned easier than my brothers that have more melonin.
The reason we study the past IS TO LEARN NOT TO MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES! Not to chew on regurgitated old hurts or wrongs.
I better stop here before my blood pressure gets up any further. Just so you know my lineage is 25% Cherokee (Trail of Tears), 25% Irish. The rest is a majority Scottish borderlands (see Braveheart for details of English oppression) with a smattering of Dutch to round it out. If we look at it most of us have SEVERAL ancestors that were persecuted. Our ancestors came to the United States to get away from persecution, not to have their sons and daughters WALLOW in it!
Sorry for the length...I got carried away.
Very well said! I totally agree!
That is one major reason why I am against the new season of "Survivor". Rather than bringing everyone together, they are segregating all the races and making everyone againt everyone of another race. I think that is exactly the opposite of what needs to happen in American. Americans need to come together as Americans. Not as white Americans, or African Americans, or Asian Americans. We are all one people in this country.

alyssia

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Very well said! I totally agree!
That is one major reason why I am against the new season of "Survivor". Rather than bringing everyone together, they are segregating all the races and making everyone againt everyone of another race. I think that is exactly the opposite of what needs to happen in American. Americans need to come together as Americans. Not as white Americans, or African Americans, or Asian Americans. We are all one people in this country.

Yep. I love Survivor, I have watched every season, but I'm not going to watch this season, or anymore. It is just a publicity stunt for them and is going to cause alot of trouble. I am also bothered by all the seemingly "white power" crap in the Survivor thread.
And yes, I'm caucasian.

puffer32

Intresting topic and hits close to home for me. My company in Pa was bought out and i took a relocation. The department I am in charge of has alot of non english speaking employees, making my job difficult, so I asked for a translater. I was told i should learn to speak their language! I said, no, they need to learn english, or not get hired, I now refuse to hire anyone who can't speak basic english.

alyssia

Originally Posted by puffer32
Intresting topic and hits close to home for me. My company in Pa was bought out and i took a relocation. The department I am in charge of has alot of non english speaking employees, making my job difficult, so I asked for a translater. I was told i should learn to speak their language! I said, no, they need to learn english, or not get hired, I now refuse to hire anyone who can't speak basic english.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
You should learn to speak their language? Now that is ridiculous!

37g joe

Originally Posted by alyssia
Yep. I love Survivor, I have watched every season, but I'm not going to watch this season, or anymore. It is just a publicity stunt for them and is going to cause alot of trouble. I am also bothered by all the seemingly "white power" crap in the Survivor thread.
And yes, I'm caucasian.
your talking about the survivior thread on here I dont see any white power crap as of right now but maybe you can enlighten me here is the link to it. https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=230222

imurnamine

Originally Posted by alyssia
I totally agree!!!! I was at McDonalds a few weeks ago and I asked for some salt. The guy just gave me a blank look and says something like "Que pasa"?
This is America, we speak English!!

Just wondering if you ever plan to vacation somewhere other than an English speaking country. If so, can you speak the language? If not. Good job on contradicting yourself.
Anyhow, yeah, we really DO need to stop babying other countries. They don't baby us. Of course, we don't need to strut around like we're better than everyone else, either. I suppose the reason that we're so afraid to hurt feelings is that we're scared of another terrorist attack? I'm really not sure, but sometimes it seems courteous to try and not offend another person.
I'm just rambling.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by ImUrNamine
Just wondering if you ever plan to vacation somewhere other than an English speaking country. If so, can you speak the language? If not. Good job on contradicting yourself.
When I go to France for my honeymoon, I will speak French. When I go to Italy for vacation sometime, I will speak Italian. That is just how it has to be. Why should those countries change for me? You would be very rude if you went to a foreign country and expected they change their way of life for you.

tx reef

Originally Posted by ImUrNamine
Anyhow, yeah, we really DO need to stop babying other countries. They don't baby us. Of course, we don't need to strut around like we're better than everyone else, either. I suppose the reason that we're so afraid to hurt feelings is that we're scared of another terrorist attack? I'm really not sure, but sometimes it seems courteous to try and not offend another person.
I'm just rambling.

If I go to another country on vacation, I can struggle with the language thing for a couple of weeks.
alyssia is talking about people who come here to live and don't even attempt to learn english.
I am an estimator/project manager for a construction company and our concrete crews are all mexicans. We have 3 crews with approx. 8 people each. Only one person from each crew can speak english and that is the supervisor.
I can't even begin to tell you how frustrating it is when I drive around checking out job sites and I can't even talk to the guys if their supervisor isn't around to interpret.
If I do try to talk to them they just stand there and smile at me.

jmick

Originally Posted by TX Reef
If I go to another country on vacation, I can struggle with the language thing for a couple of weeks.
alyssia is talking about people who come here to live and don't even attempt to learn english.
I am an estimator/project manager for a construction company and our concrete crews are all mexicans. We have 3 crews with approx. 8 people each. Only one person from each crew can speak english and that is the supervisor.
I can't even begin to tell you how frustrating it is when I drive around checking out job sites and I can't even talk to the guys if their supervisor isn't around to interpret.
If I do try to talk to them they just stand there and smile at me.
My Irish ancestors were blessed for two reasons when they came to the states. First they had money and didn’t come here as indentured servants/slaves and they came speaking the language. Many first generation Europeans didn’t speak English as their native tongue and some where so set in their ways that they never did. I dated a Polish girl in HS and her grandmother spoke no English and this didn’t make her less of a person.
I’d imagine if your crews weren’t Hispanic you’d probably be paying a lot more if you had crews full of white guys and the reason you don’t is because you can pay the Hispanic guys less. I do agree that it is a pain in the ass but it’s the reality of the situation and their communities are large enough where they can get by not speaking English.

tx reef

A concrete laborer starts out at $10.50 per hour. That is with little to no experience.
An experienced concrete finisher will make around $18.00 per hour.
These guys are in no way under paid. The reason our concrete crews are all mexican is because we hire a supervisor and he then hires all his friends and family to work for him.
Most concrete supervisors in this area are mexican. We don't go out of our way to hire mexicans instead of white people. That is just the way it works out. A white guy will make the same amount of money that a mexican guy will.
That is how it is at my company anyway. I cannot speak for other companies, though.