KAT74's 29g Biocube Diary

matt b

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2537521
JMO for the money that for what the nano tuners upgrade cost. I was considering it too, but the nova sundials HO T5 4 bulb fixture is only $199.00 you can run your tank open top, and the fixture only over hangs the sides by only 2" it doesnt look bad at all. And for what you get for lighting.... WOW what a difference. Thats the way I went with my tank but you need the 29 or 24 size ones or else the lights are too wide for the tank. JMO.
I was thinking of doing that with my nano but the light would like light up my room and be in my eye all the time cause there is not a canopy.

demartini

Originally Posted by KAT74
http:///forum/post/2535410
Subielover!~

Actually, when I got my pom pom crab, he didn't have either of his pom poms. I bought another one a few months later that had pom poms and saw my first pom pom crab go after it and tussle with it and the next thing I knew, I had 2 pom pom crabs with one pom pom each.
My first one stole a pom pom from the other one. Then, I never saw the other one anymore (it was smaller than my first one) and the next time I saw my first pom pom crab, he had both pom poms! So he must have killed the other one, I'm assuming.
I was told that I must have gotten another male and that's probably what happened.
I know that the pom pom crabs that my LFS gets in, some have the pom poms and some don't.
Ask your LFS if they can make sure to request pom pom crabs with actual pom poms when they order from their supplier and when one comes in, for them to hold it for you. They really are fascinating and so funny to watch them swat at things and sweep the sandbed with their pom poms to get food. Hope you get one!~

The pom poms do come back. I bought one that only had one pom pom and for some reason my other pom pom crab tackled him down and I watched him eat the poor little crab's last pom pom and then like 2 weeks later he had two pom poms ( I have no clue how they get new anemones)... it's kind of funny because sometimes they will pick up anything they can find and hold it in place of the anemone. One of my crabs was holding the tip of a frogspawn for a little while.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by DeMartini
http:///forum/post/2538724
The pom poms do come back. I bought one that only had one pom pom and for some reason my other pom pom crab tackled him down and I watched him eat the poor little crab's last pom pom and then like 2 weeks later he had two pom poms ( I have no clue how they get new anemones)... it's kind of funny because sometimes they will pick up anything they can find and hold it in place of the anemone. One of my crabs was holding the tip of a frogspawn for a little while.
They can split just like large anemones do, so if there was a fragment of one of the pom pom anemones left it would form another one.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by MaTT B
http:///forum/post/2538648
I was thinking of doing that with my nano but the light would like light up my room and be in my eye all the time cause there is not a canopy.
Its not as bad as you think... if I remember I will take a pic of mine showing the light set on top so you can see how the light spreads around the tank.

K

kat74

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2537521
JMO for the money that for what the nano tuners upgrade cost. I was considering it too, but the nova sundials HO T5 4 bulb fixture is only $199.00 you can run your tank open top, and the fixture only over hangs the sides by only 2" it doesnt look bad at all. And for what you get for lighting.... WOW what a difference. Thats the way I went with my tank but you need the 29 or 24 size ones or else the lights are too wide for the tank. JMO.
That sounds like an awesome, much more afforable alternative, but I am afraid of leaving the top open on the tank because of it being at work. If anything were to jump out of the tank, it would jump behind the credenza that my tank is on and there would be no way in the world to retrieve the body because that credenza is connected to the rest of my office furniture in a huge "L" shape.
Unless there is another way to add another bulb or a MH bulb to the current hood, I guess I'll have to save my money up for "one of these days".....

K

kat74

Originally Posted by HaloStalker
http:///forum/post/2539858
hey kat did u get ur order yet? i got mine and i love it

I got my emperor shrimp, coco worm and daisy polyp colony today as well as my new tank!~

I saw your huge invert shipment! Commented on your thread!~

K

kat74

Originally Posted by Alivia's 12 gl
http:///forum/post/2539948
How do u get more pic,s on my threads....good job w/the tank how do u keep ure corals from groin my grow like weeds......Alivia

Your tank looks very nice! Great job on it!~
I don't really have anything growing like weeds right now, so I can't really answer your question. I guess if I did have something growing like weeds, I would get someone to frag it for me.

K

kat74

I have been away the last day or so, stressed to the max with interviewing and credentialing of new Doctor's. Not fun, these last couple of days.
Anyway, a huge revelation for me.... I couldn't figure out why all of the ricordeas that I had that were around my cabbage leather were dying, I certainly didn't know that they are "highly competitive and secrete noxious chemicals that kill competitiors such as other corals" (from the Marine Invertebrates book)
I've lost probably 8 nice ricordeas since October because of this. My other ricordeas that are further from it are fine and thriving. I had no clue. Wow. I didn't even buy the cabbage leather. It came as a small hitchhiker on my LR.
Anyway, I picked up my new tank today - 14 gallon Biocube, as well as an emperor shrimp, coco worm and daisy polyp colony.
I'll be setting up my new tank next weekend. Hopefully, I won't go through a very long cycle because I'll be taking some water from my established tank and will be getting some nice, cured LR that is "very well established with coralline algea, sponge, snails, mushroom corals and other beneficial critters."
This guy lives about an hour from me and has 300 lbs. of mixed Fiji, Caribbean, Totoka, and Tonga LR for me to pick from. He's selling it for $3.75/lb and I figured that I can't beat that, so I'll go look at it next weekend. I told him to go ahead and pick out 25lbs for me that is nice and some rubble for me to put in the middle chamber. I don't really care about sponge, mushrooms, etc. being on the rock as much as I care about the coralline algae being on it. Oh, and I don't want any nasty hitch-hikers, especially mantis shrimp!

Anyway, I know ya'll want less talk, more pics, so here are just a couple. When my daisy polyps open and when my coco worm decides to come out more, I will take more pics.
Coco worm, partially all the way out...

Emperor shrimp in the acclimation bag...

and... as soon as he got in the tank, he scrambled for the Koralia where he stayed until I left. (You can see how tiny he is in comparison)

I wish these pics were clearer, but I caught my shrimp giving my goby another mouth/dental cleaning.

More pics to come in the next day or so when I go back to work and things are opened up.

K

kat74

Oh yeah... I'm gonna do some studying up on elegance corals. When I picked up my new tank today, they had two gorgeous pink elegance corals in an 8 gallon Biocube and two clarkii clowns were hosting in it. The guy said that these were from Australia and were "hardier" and "easier to care for" than the others.
He said that he was feeding them PhytoFeast and something else. They looked very healthy. He said that they were fine under PC lighting?
anyway... gonna read up on this coral for sure.

ETA: Okay, first thing I read on them has given me enough info to know that I cannot get this coral. LOL!
ETA Again.... reading more on it. I need opinions. More and more that I read states that they do not need high/MH lighting because they're more frequently being collected from deeper waters and Fenner said on his site that VHO and PC's are fine.... soooo... with the addition of the LFS saying that theirs are from Australia and it's in a BC 8 and looks great, and with the info I read from Fenner... is it worth trying out for my 14?

K

kat74

Originally Posted by AtrialFib22
http:///forum/post/2541032
Great pictures Kat...I love how you always keep everyone updated. I come here looking forward to your posts!

Thanks, AFib!~

I do this more for myself so that I can look back and see how far I've come... or to learn from my past mistakes!

subielover

Hey Kat

New pics look great, that is so funny how your shrimp gets his mouth clean like that
I have been reading up on the Biocube 29 like yours, did you ever consider setting up a refugium in one of your chambers? On that topic what do you have in your chambers?

halostalker

wow nice shrimp he looks like the female i got and i got a smaller male lol really tiny. so tiny my camera can't take good pics heheh i need to go get one a new camera bad.
Suckz about the rics, and nice u have a dentist in the tank heheh.
nice feather duster, what about the polyps? not opened yet i think.
hey sub i have alot of LR rubble in the back and so does kat, i also use filter floss that i put ontop of the rubble and it catches large dirt that passes into the sump.
great tank and nice pic's, kate u always beat me at everything heheh

halostalker

lmao kat ur brain is fried mine is just wrecked sitting in class's all day is really ridiculous i mean after one class i have a 6 hour math class that is really hard so im forced to use my brain extra hard

anyway im a bit worried i have the female anemone shrimp walking around but i lost the male i seen him yesterday but no sign of him today
but now i have something to look foward to a really big big big coral package i mean it will be super duper