KAT74's 29g Biocube Diary

K

kat74

Checked on the two misbars today. Still hanging out by the brain and they were busy doing their fierce "dominance dance", twirling around each other, charging into each other... they seriously looked mad, breathing hard and everything!

After a little while, one stayed by the brain and the other went to the Koralia powerhead and stayed near the top. Their breathing returned to normal. Maybe they were taking a little break to catch their breath and then have at it again.

I hope that they get their dominance issues straightened out soon and get things peaceful again. Wonder how long clowns do that stuff for before they come to an understanding?

K

kat74

Wanted to post another "before and after".
Very small blasto frag, December 2, 2007

Yesterday, January 5, 2008

K

kat74

Originally Posted by paintballer768
You have those blastos under PC lighting? How are they doing?
Yep, they are under my PC's, about midway down in a rock crevice. They seem to be doing very well. When I got them, they looked like the 1st pic, just 4 tiny blastos. Now, in a little over a month, there are 8 of them, so they doubled in size. They are stil very small though, but seem to be doing well.

K

kat74

Does anyone know for sure what kind of clowns these are? They are juveniles for sure and are very tiny. My LFS told me that they were tank raised percs.

What do YOU think??

paintballer768

Originally Posted by KAT74
Yep, they are under my PC's, about midway down in a rock crevice. They seem to be doing very well. When I got them, they looked like the 1st pic, just 4 tiny blastos. Now, in a little over a month, there are 8 of them, so they doubled in size. They are stil very small though, but seem to be doing well.
I didnt think they could be kept under PCs, what wattage comes with a biocube?

K

kat74

Originally Posted by paintballer768
I didnt think they could be kept under PCs, what wattage comes with a biocube?
The guy that I bought them from said that they need moderate lighting and should be fine under my PC's. The lighting that I have is 1-36 Watt 10,000K, 1-36 Watt True Actinic 03 and Lunar Blue, Moon Glow LED lights.
I found the following information through a google search:
Care:
Hardiness: Blastomussa is fairly hardy when provided with the proper conditions as outlined below.
Lighting: Seems to prefer moderate lighting but will tolerate dim lighting fairly well. These corals should not be exposed to intense lighting. If lighting is too intense, they should be positioned with the polyps facing out rather than up or should be shaded by another coral or rock.
Water Current: Prefer low to moderate water motion.
Temperature: Does well within a range of at least 77º to 84º F
Aggressiveness: Appears to be low.
Feeding: Blastomussa is photosynthetic and does not take any known foods.
Supplements: Maintaining correct calcium and alkalinity levels is undoubtedly important for skeletal development
Tank Positioning: Best positioning is usually at the bottom of the tank, in low water flow and in a moderately lit area of the tank. They may be positioned higher up in the tank in a dimly lit tank or if provided with some shade from intense lighting.
Propagation:: Blastomussa may be propagated by division of the skeleton keeping one or more polyps on the severed piece.

peef

Great blastos, looks like you are doing them some good. I love saving a corals life.

perfectdark

Blastos dont require high intensity lighting moderate PC to T5 is typically sufficient. IMO those look like perc's

nemo2

Your tank looks fabulous! I just got a 29 bio cube for christmas! It has been running for two weeks now. I was curious how much LR you put in yours? Also which chamber do you put the purigen and chemi- pure? I am even more excited now that I see what kind of potential there is for the bio-cube! Good work.

L

lbaskball

cool blastos, i have blastos myself. At the LFS, they looked like yours and now you cannot even see the rock that it is on as it covers over the rock. Mine are kept under metal halides. I feed them well to make sure they stay nice and fat.

K

kat74

Originally Posted by lbaskball
cool blastos, i have blastos myself. At the LFS, they looked like yours and now you cannot even see the rock that it is on as it covers over the rock. Mine are kept under metal halides. I feed them well to make sure they stay nice and fat.
I'm hoping that mine grow that way too!~ They've already doubled since I've had them!

K

kat74

Originally Posted by mckevinfang
do you use a heater in your tank? if so where did you put it? and what brand is it?
I use a 100w Visi Therm stealth heater and have it in my first chamber with the Oceanic Biocube skimmer. The heater isn't completely submerged because it's so tall, but it does the trick!

detguy313

very nice your tank is really looking good and the clowns are sweet..how is that yellowfin doing??..i also love the blastos..i have quite a few different morphs on of my favorite corals

mckevinfang

I use a 100w Visi Therm stealth heater and have it in my first chamber with the Oceanic Biocube skimmer. The heater isn't completely submerged because it's so tall, but it does the trick!

thanks you've been such a great help to me but i have one more question. lol umm what type of lighting do you use and how can i get my stock one changed?

K

kat74

Originally Posted by detguy313
very nice your tank is really looking good and the clowns are sweet..how is that yellowfin doing??..i also love the blastos..i have quite a few different morphs on of my favorite corals
Thanks!~
The yellowfin is doing fantastic! No more problems at all between him and the blenny anymore. They definately worked out their differences!
The yellowfin is actually a very peaceful fish; doesn't bother anything and shoots off to bed as soon as the lights go out!
He's definately a beautiful splash of color and wonderful addition to my tank.

K

kat74

Originally Posted by mckevinfang
thanks you've been such a great help to me but i have one more question. lol umm what type of lighting do you use and how can i get my stock one changed?
You are certainly welcome!~
I am using the stock lighting that came with the Biocube right now. To upgrade your lighting for more light demanding corals, you can google search nano tuners. They have lighting upgrades made for our Biocubes. If you want to keep soft corals, or other corals like the ones in my tank, you won't need to upgrade your lighting; the stock lighting is sufficient.

mckevinfang

You are certainly welcome!~
I am using the stock lighting that came with the Biocube right now. To upgrade your lighting for more light demanding corals, you can google search nano tuners. They have lighting upgrades made for our Biocubes. If you want to keep soft corals, or other corals like the ones in my tank, you won't need to upgrade your lighting; the stock lighting is sufficient.

thanks again