KAT74's 29g Biocube Diary

K

kat74

Originally Posted by mckevinfang
hey KAT i need help with my clean up crew what do you have?
Let's see... I have 2 queen conch's, probably 15 or so dwarf blue legs, 2 scarlet reef crabs, 1 electric blue leg, 4 small turbo snails, 6 small nassarius snails, 1 large fancy shell nassarius snail, and 4 astrea snails. I'm sure that I'm missing something, but that's what I remember. My fire shrimp and pom pom crab are also proud members of the "CUC"...

K

kat74

Originally Posted by jakebtc
kat whats the name of that leather that your bi color likes so well?
That is a cabbage leather/flower leather. It came to me as a very small hitchhiker on the LR and is one of my favorites.

My blenny's little hole is near it and when he wants to come out and perch somewhere to see what's going on, he hangs out there.

mckevinfang

Originally Posted by KAT74
Let's see... I have 2 queen conch's, probably 15 or so dwarf blue legs, 2 scarlet reef crabs, 1 electric blue leg, 4 small turbo snails, 6 small nassarius snails, 1 large fancy shell nassarius snail, and 4 astrea snails. I'm sure that I'm missing something, but that's what I remember. My fire shrimp and pom pom crab are also proud members of the "CUC"...

NICE CLEAN UP CREW!!
you dont have trouble with the crabs killing the snails for a new home??

toeknee

Kat its not that hard to install an additional PC in the hood. I bought a retrofit from nanotuners and did it myself made a huge difference but awesome tank so far

K

kat74

Originally Posted by mckevinfang
NICE CLEAN UP CREW!!
you dont have trouble with the crabs killing the snails for a new home??
You know... funny that you mentioned that because I am constantly having to replace my snails!
Those little blue legs, for them to be so small, are very aggressive little boogers and will even fight with each other for shells. There are plenty of empty shells in there for them to move into, but if you looked at them, you would see that probably half of my blue legs are wearing nassarius snail shells!
They must just like killing the snails because the back of my tank looks like a snail graveyard with all the empty shells, so they're killing my snails not because of a shortage of new homes for them, they're just killing them!
Got any advice?

K

kat74

Originally Posted by Toeknee
Kat its not that hard to install an additional PC in the hood. I bought a retrofit from nanotuners and did it myself made a huge difference but awesome tank so far
Thanks! I'll go over to nanotuners and see what I can get myself into...

With an additional PC in the hood, what kind of difference will I notice? Also... you say that it's not that hard to install.... will there be cutting, bolting, wiring or anything else like that involved? If so, I don't think I'd be able to do that upgrade because my tank is here with me at work, in my office. We are all girls here except for the Dr., and I *know* that I won't be able to get him to help me out because well.... he just doesn't know how to do things like that!

perfectdark

Thanks! I'll go over to nanotuners and see what I can get myself into...

With an additional PC in the hood, what kind of difference will I notice? Also... you say that it's not that hard to install.... will there be cutting, bolting, wiring or anything else like that involved? If so, I don't think I'd be able to do that upgrade because my tank is here with me at work, in my office. We are all girls here except for the Dr., and I *know* that I won't be able to get him to help me out because well.... he just doesn't know how to do things like that!

Mostly screws and splicing wires, its not difficult and they have 2 versions for the lager cubes one that increases the wattage to 108 and the other to 144. As far as what you can have, pretty much any LPS and Softie you want, most likley a BTA, and possibly some lesser light demanding sps if you keep them up high. Thats a big maybe though, remember PC lighting losses a lot of intensity very quickly when it penetrates the water. And the tank is still 20" tall so you do lose a lot. What it will do with certainty is make what you have grow faster and be happier no matter where it is in your tank.

K

kat74

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Mostly screws and splicing wires, its not difficult and they have 2 versions for the lager cubes one that increases the wattage to 108 and the other to 144. As far as what you can have, pretty much any LPS and Softie you want, most likley a BTA, and possibly some lesser light demanding sps if you keep them up high. Thats a big maybe though, remember PC lighting losses a lot of intensity very quickly when it penetrates the water. And the tank is still 20" tall so you do lose a lot. What it will do with certainty is make what you have grow faster and be happier no matter where it is in your tank.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate your input.

I haven't gone over to nanotuners yet to check it out, but will. I will seriously look into it though because some of my zoas seem to be stretching a bit like they want more light. The weird thing is... the ones that are closest to the lights are doing that and the ones on the bottom further from the light are just fine.

If/when I do upgrade, I will post on my local reef club asking for help because I will be the first to admit that I am clueless about screws and splicing wires, and will reward the helper with something free; frags, beer, whatever.... well, not "whatever".....

sigmachris

I THINK nanotuners has upgrades for DIY or you can buy one already completed or you send them your hood and they will do it for you. As mentioned I think these are the options I remember when I checked them out last summer.

sigmachris

Also I don't think sending them your hood is an option...if I remember correctly you are pretty close with a LFS in your area. I would inquire to see if anyone there has the skills to do it for you on a lunch break. Obviously a little money, beer, or food would go a long way to persuading them.

K

kat74

Originally Posted by SigmaChris
Also I don't think sending them your hood is an option...if I remember correctly you are pretty close with a LFS in your area. I would inquire to see if anyone there has the skills to do it for you on a lunch break. Obviously a little money, beer, or food would go a long way to persuading them.
Hmmm.... do you think that they have hoods that I could buy with the lighting already ready-to-go? I'll check with them on that.

matt b

Hmmm.... do you think that they have hoods that I could buy with the lighting already ready-to-go? I'll check with them on that.

they dont have one on there site but call and theey should be able to help you! they are really nice

K

kat74

Originally Posted by MaTT B
they dont have one on there site but call and theey should be able to help you! they are really nice
Thanks, Matt!~ Will do!~

I don't care how much extra I'll have to pay if they can do that for me. At least I'll know that it'll be done right! When I had someone from my LFS put the Oceanic skimmer in for me, he didn't even put it in correctly and I underestimated myself and put it in right the first time!

matt b

Thanks, Matt!~ Will do!~

I don't care how much extra I'll have to pay if they can do that for me. At least I'll know that it'll be done right! When I had someone from my LFS put the Oceanic skimmer in for me, he didn't even put it in correctly and I underestimated myself and put it in right the first time!

ya thats how i am i hate doing stuff like this myself bcus if something gets messed up there gose the house lol. i ended up getting the BC4.36 (144w) and just got a whole new hood and works great!!! the only thing is the fans are a little louder

K

kat74

ya thats how i am i hate doing stuff like this myself bcus if something gets messed up there gose the house lol. i ended up getting the BC4.36 (144w) and just got a whole new hood and works great!!! the only thing is the fans are a little louder
Same here, except something gets messed up, there goes a 1.8 million dollar medical office and my job!~
Okay.... help me!! I want to get the same upgrade. Which things do I need to choose for Bulb 1, Bulb 2, Cooling Fans, Moonlight option, AC Adapter?

Thanks for your help!

matt b

heres how i have mine
4 x 36w PC
2 x 60mm Fans these are the only ones you can get bcus the others dont fit with this setup
1 x R2 5LED Moonlight
3 x 10000k daylights
1 x actinic blue light
and its looks really good

K

kat74

heres how i have mine
4 x 36w PC
2 x 60mm Fans these are the only ones you can get bcus the others dont fit with this setup
1 x R2 5LED Moonlight
3 x 10000k daylights
1 x actinic blue light
and its looks really good
They put all that in the hood for you? How much was this?
Also, will I need additional plug in outlets than I am using now? Because I am totally maxed out on those!
Extension cords here, there... every outlet taken...

matt b

They put all that in the hood for you? How much was this?
Also, will I need additional plug in outlets than I am using now? Because I am totally maxed out on those!
Extension cords here, there... every outlet taken...
well i ended up just buying the whole tank and lights so i could use the new tank for a QT and the hood for my good tank and it was about 460 but thats with the tank and for the plugs im not sure how many are on urs now? and like i said just try giving them a call and tell them what you want and they should give you a price

K

kat74

well i ended up just buying the whole tank and lights so i could use the new tank for a QT and the hood for my good tank and it was about 460 but thats with the tank and for the plugs im not sure how many are on urs now? and like i said just try giving them a call and tell them what you want and they should give you a price
ahhhh.... so that $459.00 that I saw was for the tank too! I was about to say!