KH very high,

antwon

hi everyone. so the title explains it all. i tested my water and the KH was about 17 KH. yikes! i dont really know how to fix the problem, so if anyone has any advice on how to lower it would be great. thanx!

scott t

KH is Carbonated Hardness in the water. I would say for you to to check your pH or your Ca and see which one is out of whack!!! Could be because you are adding to many fish at one time.! KH should be maintained between 8 and 15 so 17 is to high

antwon

water change right away! and no i dont dose. i wuz planning on doing a water change soon anyway

geoj

If you do not dose then how is it so high?
What are you using to make up water changes?

antwon

i did a 50% water change about one month ago becuz i wuz moving my tank. my KH has always been on the high side around 12. i use tap water with tap water treater the change wuz successful none of my fish died(knock on wood)

antwon

but when i test the water before i put it in the tank the KH is normal, like 12 dKH ??? my fish are ok(except the picasso he died this morn for unknown reasons
) i guess i could use RO from the lfs or buy a unit i just never used it before and all my water changes are successful(except my first i lost practically everything)

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon http:///forum/thread/381393/kh-very-high#post_3321895
but when i test the water before i put it in the tank the KH is normal, like 12 dKH ??? my fish are ok(except the picasso he died this morn for unknown reasons
) i guess i could use RO from the lfs or buy a unit i just never used it before and all my water changes are successful(except my first i lost practically everything)
If your tap is at 12, adding salt that probably has an alkalinity buffer in it (most salts do) is only going to make it even higher which is why I'm saying to STOP using tap water.

antwon

oh ok cuz i didnt understand oh and i forgot i do dose the water that i top the water off with i use marine buffer cuz the pH is low i also add it to the water that i do water changes with is the water. are the parameters in th RO water tank ready or does it have to be treated??

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon http:///forum/thread/381393/kh-very-high#post_3322095
oh ok cuz i didnt understand oh and i forgot i do dose the water that i top the water off with i use marine buffer cuz the pH is low i also add it to the water that i do water changes with is the water. are the parameters in th RO water tank ready or does it have to be treated??
It depends on the quality of the RO that you're using, but it's going to be damn better than your tap.
If you have really high alkalinity and low pH, there is a major issue going on. Start using RO water for water changes and top off from now on. I'd do a major water change using RO to try to get the pH and the Alkalinity better under control.
What salt are you using?

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon http:///forum/thread/381393/kh-very-high#post_3322095
This is what it sounds like you are doing wrong. Fresh water has a pH of 7 and there is no need to adjust it before adding it to the tank when topping off or doing water changes. So you should only be testing the tank water there is no need to test the top-off or the new saltwater. By dosing the top-off and new saltwater you are over dosing the tank.
Now if the tank had a low Alk then adding it to the top-off would be the way to go.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///forum/thread/381393/kh-very-high#post_3322131
This is what it sounds like you are doing wrong. Fresh water has a pH of 7 and there is no need to adjust it before adding it to the tank when topping off or doing water changes. So you should only be testing the tank water there is no need to test the top-off or the new saltwater. By dosing the top-off and new saltwater you are over dosing the tank.
Now if the tank had a low Alk then adding it to the top-off would be the way to go.
+1
Just to reiterate - PH Buffers raise Alkalinity, that is the only thing they do - they do NOT fix a low PH long term.

antwon

pH-8.2
Specific Gravity-1.024
Temperature-76 degrees fahreinheit
i dont test for calcium or alkalinity, so i guess i shud b