ladyreefseekers 90gallon set-up

aquaknight

Healthy Ornate Butterflies don't live in captivity, so an injured Ornate has a even worse chance, then the 0% chance the regulars do...
Only thing I would have suggested to change, since you're doing an 'immediately setup tank" would have been to just go ahead and use dry dead sand instead of 'live.' Or at a minimum, strain and rinse the live, to get from the stagnant, ammonia-filled bag water. Would have helped greatly with the clouding as well.

gill again68

I think its great to see someone with experience use what I would call and advance technique. I would say that the average Joe (no offense Joe) would want to use a more traditional method.
Tagging in.

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
Update: I lost the Ornate during the night. I am near certain that it wasn't due to my set-up method. The Latticed Butterfly is darting to and fro and ate mysis this morning. It seems very hungry pecking at the liverock etc. The ornate was such a cool fish, I took a risk bringing it home to "nurse" it in a new set-up that truly looks nothing like their natural environment (which is what I will be going for in the end) I think it was stress induced and of course it was injured so it just was a bad idea...I had to try though.
All critters are alive and well. Nassarius moved underground, Crabs are everywhere, Ceriths are within the liverock.
Tested the water this morning, everything tests normal. Slight nitrate which I have dosed with a squirt of prime(water conditioner removes nitrate, nitrite and ammonia)
Tank looks really good today. I am terrible with a camera so when my husband gets up, I will have him take a few shots. I did move the rocks a bit. Not a lot of "junk" coming off of them at this point. Now that it has cleared, I can see more details in the rock. I am quite happy with the Caribbean rock. I still don't have it as cavernous as I would like it. I still may move things around again.
Not sure I mentioned before but I have triple bulb pc's and double bulb vho's on this tank. I don't plan to keep the coral I keep in my 120, so this is sufficient.
Better picture coming later. This one for now.

the coloring is not right on my camera

again...coloring not right, butterfly is much more yellow...

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member

Okay, the coloring of this photo seems much more accurate. Problem is, this is one of 20 bad photos... I'm sure it is the camera lol!

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
I just gave the Latticed Butterfly a yummy snack and something to keep it busy. I had a small clump of button polyps in my 120 that I don't mind salvaging to keep this fish happy and healthy.

He hasn't left this area for 10 minutes now...

florida joe

Quote:
. I would say that the average Joe (no offense Joe) would want to use a more traditional method.
non taken i am about as average a hobbyist as there is

meowzer

Beautiful fish....It must be great to be able to pick out your own rock like that ... the one time I went out of town to a place that had live rock, it took a long time to pick it...lol....they did not have such great stuff like I see in your pics though

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/383546/ladyreefseekers-90gallon-set-up/20#post_3355720
Beautiful fish....It must be great to be able to pick out your own rock like that ... the one time I went out of town to a place that had live rock, it took a long time to pick it...lol....they did not have such great stuff like I see in your pics though
O thanks! My husband thinks it is lacking color and critters...but I told him it's been a long time since we have bought liverock. It doesn't come in looking like it does after it has been in your tank for 5 years...I think it is great liverock. Very holey...less boulder like lol!

monsinour

Looks great, and when you have pick of the litter, you should be able to get the best pieces. Wish I could do a tank that big, but our house is too small. Say, when is SWF going to branch out and create a "growing/shipping" location in another part of the states? May I suggest near my house so I can work there?

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/383546/ladyreefseekers-90gallon-set-up/20#post_3355776
Looks great, and when you have pick of the litter, you should be able to get the best pieces. Wish I could do a tank that big, but our house is too small. Say, when is SWF going to branch out and create a "growing/shipping" location in another part of the states? May I suggest near my house so I can work there?
I only get to pick when we have large quantities. Usually we aren't able to get the rare or low quantity items. I may have to wait quite awhile to get the Gold Rim Tang I want for this tank... because we only get a few in at a time. Honestly all of the Caribbean liverock looked just like my pieces. I was going for sizes I knew I wanted.
I don't think there are any expansion plans in the near future. We have a great location with great access to supply from the keys and other Caribbean outlets. Not to say that they couldn't get those same outlets elsewhere.

florida joe

I am sure you already know this but for other hobbyists wanting to get a Latticed Butterfly most if not all of my hobbyist friends make a past out of food for their butterflies and press it into the rockwork for them to graze on

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
The closest I have ever come to making fish food is pureeing the mysis for corals and inverts. Never really thought about it before but am interested now...

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member

My husband took this picture.
He says I only had it taking 8 mega pixels instead of 12. I like photography but am not good at configuring all the options.

flower

I really like the rocks, those are really nice pieces and the way you aquascaped!
I have to wonder, not being into photography either ..why have a button to make it 8 mega pixels instead of 12..who would want that, and what use could it be?

florida joe

Ok just Google homemade saltwater fish carnivore food. there are many recieps
Latticed Butterflies are carnivores no matter what you read about them picking at filamentous algae. They are active grazers I believe their small elongated mouths make it possible to pick at small openings on a coral reef for food. In our home aquariums they often have trouble competing with other fish for food we introduce because of their small mouths.
What I would do if you are not going to make your own food is buy a good product like. San Francisco bay brand marine cuisine carnivorous formula. Leave a frozen cub out (do not add water) as it starts to defrost use your finger to make a past(not mush) then use your finger and push it into the rock. He will be getting the nutrition he needs in a natural way. Along with what he gets from food suspended in the water column when you feed the rest of your tank