Lagoonal Reef

bang guy

And here's the inside of the bucket. On the right is the intake. It goes all the way down to avoid spashes & bubbles. The 'N' shaped plumbing causes the water to accumulate until it's over the 'N' and then it starts a siphon. The siphon is broken once all of the water drains and it starts to fill back up again.

bang guy

The PVC tubing in the previous pictures is 1.5" PVC. I just finished replacing it all with 2" and WOW does it surge now!!! :D

bang guy

Here's the cover which reduces evaporation. With the cover up the system evaporates about 20 gallons of water a day. With the cover down it evaporates about 5 gallons.
The center cover is pvc used for shower stalls. It's 4' X 8' and is white on the other side to reflect light. On the far end is a 3' X 8' sheet of plastic that can be easily lifted for quick access. The cover is raised using a counterweighted pully. A quick tug and the cover can be lifted about 3' for viewing.
Attached to the cover are 6' VHO bulbs. They are old bulbs from the display tank and they appear to grow softies & Caulerpa very well. A pair of IceCap 660's are running the bulbs.
Future upgrades include MH lamps down the middle but not until a wiring upgrade in the basement.

bang guy

Costs:
Plywood = $80
2X4s = $60
Deck Planking = $60
Insulation = $80
Pond Liner = $120
Cinder Blocks = $34
Plumbing = $40
Cover = $30 including pulleys
Salt = $240
Sand = $200
Surge = $20
Ballasts = $350
Heaters = $100
Total = about $1500 including misc. items like screws & brackets.
Value = Priceless :D

dburr

bang guy can you please post a picture of your reef tank?
As you can see bang, we're still not satisfied. LOL :D ;)

ty_05_f

wow that is bretty bad cyano. What are you going to keep in it any livestock?? Or is just going to be macro's??

nicky1.8t

im sure that thing is crawling with all sorts of nasty lil buggers i got stars and snails, mysis shrimp, feather dusters growin in my sump and overflow so i imagine the growth in that thing is insane

garycarr

What will this much water evaporating into your basement due to your flooring? Guess you have a dehumidifier or something.
What about the smell of all that algea?
How about some pics of the tank this monster is servicing?

broomer5

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us Guy !
I, along with many others here have always admired your set up.
Great to see all the pieces/parts as you described them too.
If you post more ...... we'll read !
Really cool :)

bang guy

Originally posted by garycarr
What will this much water evaporating into your basement due to your flooring? Guess you have a dehumidifier or something.

In the winter it's really really dry here in Western NY. The humidity gets sucked up through the furnace and helps the rest of the house. In the summer I have a vent from the cover to the outside powered by a 4" muffin fan.
What about the smell of all that algea?
There is absolutely no odor to the Lagoon.
How about some pics of the tank this monster is servicing?
OK

Very nice picture bang. I wish to have a tank that looked half as good as yours. Keep up the good work.
Yes! I'm a titan....something.