Lagoonal Reef

bang guy

By September I had added the second IceCap Ballast and that seemed to grow enough Caulerpa to end the Cyano bloom.

bdhough

Very nice.
Do you plan on keeping any of the "forbidden" corals in there?
I namely mean goniopora, alveopora, and elegance.... From what i hear they are lagoonal species.
I'll bet money you have success with them in there once its going....
Edit: and what would a lagoon be without a mangrove :)

j-cal

I may have missed this somewhere....is the lagoon plumbed into your reef? Seems liek it could be the best refugium/sump ever :)

bang guy

Originally posted by J-Cal
is the lagoon plumbed into your reef?

Yes it is. When I discussed the sump I mentioned the pumps going to the display tank (Reef).
It was a Refugium for about a year. Mostly snails, worms and lots & lots of caulerpa. My two big Queen Conch live there now and they've been taking care of any algae that grows on the sand.
Recently I've added soft corals like mushrooms, ricordea, etc.
I just added a 250 watt HID to the mix and placed a Rose Anemone there. I hope to get a few more Roses from different sources to see if I can get them to reproduce sexually instead of splitting.
Sever Banggai pairs are freely roaming and a large Foxface was moved from the display because I thought he was too big.

zippy

If I said I was impressed I'd be lying. I'm blown away! That has my little labor of love hiding it's head in shame. What a work of art. Awesome job.

bang guy

Originally posted by FranknBerry
Have you considered adding a tang to control your caulerpa

Most Tangs are Planktivores in addition to their herbivorous diet. I still want to keep a lot of bugs in there and those are reserved for the adult Banggai. Also, I can't imagine a fish eating more algae than the Foxface that's already in there. I know Foxface also eat bugs but not to the extent as a Tang.
As a side note, the Foxface loves to do laps. Swimming really really fast in a big 8 foot circle and stopping right in front of me for a piece of Mysis Shrimp. I never knew they could possibly swim that fast.

aarone

Originally posted by Bonermeister
Yeah Bang, get a webcam with 24/7 access so we can just sit and watch your lagoon.
:D

lol that would be a good idea. You could charge people like 5 bucks a month. :D
aaron

dbennett78

Bang-
Would you happen to have any used tanks? Like say a 75 lying around the house that you need to sell. If you do or ever want to sell one let me know. I am looking to upgrade size.

bang guy

Originally posted by SquishyFish
I think you need to install a slide....but then again, I wouldnt want to land on the spines of that fox!:eek:

Or the urchins

bang guy

My well water is high in iron, nitrate, silicates, and phosphate. I believe the caulerpa takes care of the iron, Nitrate & phosphate and I believe the snails take care of the diatoms caused by the Silicate.
If you look closely at my picture you'll see two buckets. The fist bucket is the mixing bucket and it has a small vent hole to prevent a vacuum. Not a lot of air passes throuh it but some does. It's the second bucket that I have the lid tight on. As the vacuum builds in the second bucket it just sucks limewater from the first bucket.
If you only have one bucket you'll need a vent hole. This hole won't prevent CO2 from entering but it will slow it down.

bdhough

Bang I had a thought about all the pressure of the 900 gallons of water.... Where is it being absorbed? From your initial picture of the frame it looked like you just made a box of wood, lined it with pond liner, and filled it up. Is the wood braced on the bottom parts of the "box" or does the pond liner absorb alot of the pressure? I remember hearing that the pond liner absorbs some of it but i couldn't remember.