LARGE Plywood Tank Build

bronco300

Well I have been looking around a doing research on my next tank...I had bought a 200 gallon acrylic used but decided to sell it because of the scratching and necessity to buff the tank out...I had thought of buying a glass 240g but after more research have decided to build my own tank; a plywood tank.
The tank will be 130 X 30 X 30"...I've always wanted a 10' tank so here I am, building it. It will be in wall and the back leading to our garage. Here are some basic plans for the tank and plumbing....i'm tossing up a couple different ideas for the plumbing right now though. but you get the general idea

bronco300

Here is a general list of things i will need/be using:
3/4" 4X8 Plywood Sheets(4)
1x10" Lumber
1X6" Lumber
2X2 lumber(in half for 45deg corners)
MAS epoxy
MAS hardener
Fiberglass cloth
Wood Glue
Screws
1/2" 120X24" glass pane
Silicone
Biscuits(for joining the wood)

wangotango

Can't wait to see it up and running. What are your plans for it?
It looks like you're building your own wavebox, I'd really like to see how you put this together.
-Justin

acrylic51

Cool idea.....seen a couple done......What plans do you have for the waveboxes? What about bracing along the top? I would consider something with the addition of the wavebox.

brandan

looks nice!!!! Looks like I'll have to come down this weekend and help!!!! I can't wait. . . And yes, I am inviting myself, lol

bronco300

thanks, for the wavemaker i was going to use Maxijet mods but i've been playing with the mods in a water tub and i think there is just too much backpressure on the impeller....so i tossed that idea out and looked into getting two tunze 6055 and a controller....it'll work basically like the tunze6212 wavebox...water enters the container from the pump hole, the pumps pulses on and off ever few seconds and then pushes the water out......if you look on the picture i'm basically just making another side for the tank and under the wavebox will just be empty because epoxying it would be extremely hard if it wasn't just the flat side....i'll have to start playing around to figure out how big i have to make the actual box so it works corrcetly....it's going to be a fun project, and can be cost long term instead of putting one price everywhere.
oh and yes the top will be eurobraced and have braces front to back a couple places.

bronco300

Originally Posted by Brandan
looks nice!!!! Looks like I'll have to come down this weekend and help!!!! I can't wait. . . And yes, I am inviting myself, lol

good luck sitting outside till we get back from up north,lol

steelgluer

Maybe its me but joining plywood like that and going over 96inches 8 feet. Dont think thats a good idea. That should be one solid piece especially the back because of the pressure. That joint is not strong at all for 506 gallons of water.

groupergenius

Finally, a garage as messy as mine.
And dude...get rid of the Christmas tree allready.

Can't wait to see this project play out. Been wanting to do something like this myself.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by SteelGluer
Maybe its me but joining plywood like that and going over 96inches 8 feet. Dont think thats a good idea. That should be one solid piece especially the back because of the pressure. That joint is not strong at all for 506 gallons of water.
Is there plywood over 96" long???

steelgluer

Not that ive seen and any diy page recomends not to build it over 96 inches long. Garf wont even give the plans to do it. Only up to 96 inches.

groupergenius

All in how it's backed up I'm thinking. As long as there is ample backing to it and plenty of internal and external fiberglass work, it should be fine.
I agree, if it was just the plywood as shown so far, it would snap.

bronco300

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
Finally, a garage as messy as mine.
And dude...get rid of the Christmas tree allready.

Can't wait to see this project play out. Been wanting to do something like this myself.

hahahahaha, jerk! i'm using the christmas tree still to put in the fireplace,lol

bronco300

Originally Posted by SteelGluer
Not that ive seen and any diy page recomends not to build it over 96 inches long. Garf wont even give the plans to do it. Only up to 96 inches.

well from the people that i've talked to that have built and have plywood tanks the GARF website for building these aren't really the best and overdone step wise...there is another person that i know of that has done a 120"

snakeblitz33

the main reason not to do over 96" is because you can only get sheet wood 8 feet long. Using biscuits isn't the best thing to do, however it is conceivable. Just make sure you brace up the sides really well.