LARGE Plywood Tank Build

bronco300

i havent decided yet, maybe that and screws but not sure, the epoxy does most of the work so this wood is more of the support/frame for that.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by SteelGluer
Maybe its me but joining plywood like that and going over 96inches 8 feet. Dont think thats a good idea. That should be one solid piece especially the back because of the pressure. That joint is not strong at all for 506 gallons of water.
2x4 walers is all you need to fix that.

bronco300

i have started on the second piece being 130"...have biscuited it, just waiting to move the other piece so i can glue this one together as well....like i said, the epoxy is the important part and the wood being a frame for it.

brandan

Maybe its me but joining plywood like that and going over 96inches 8 feet. Dont think thats a good idea. That should be one solid piece especially the back because of the pressure. That joint is not strong at all for 506 gallons of water.
Not to be rude, but what is your background? Have you built a wood tank, or speak from experience? Just wondering

acrylic51

Hey Bronco300...just curious, but what are you doing as far as eurobracing on the top of the tank? I'm just curious I'm not 1 of the doubters out there....actually impressed.....What do you have planned for the overflow as well?

bronco300

thanks acrylic....it will be basically eurobraced like an acrylic tank would be but i will have two pieces go from front to back just to be safe, probably will use 1x4s for it but havent decided quite yet....this will be in wall so looks arent as important with wood type(oak,etc).....I'm just going to drill the bottom and use PVC to the top, maybe make an acrylic box around it or something, but i dont want to have to mess with figuring out how to epoxy and overflow box and it would make it so much time consuming to epoxy the actual tank unless i did another false back all the way across to make an overflow(kind of like i am doing for the side with the overflow)....to epoxy this tank it has to be turned on every possible side....so at some point it'll be on the end, on the CORNER,lol....those are going to be the fun parts(no...not really...)
tonight i'll get to putting together the second piece and cut the sides.
here is a pic basically of the bracing and drains...the one will be closed off, but there just in case i need/want more water going out--i'll take any plumbing setup advice...i just dont want to make a false back or make a box overflow out of wood.

scsinet

I think if you eurobrace as you described, then then the concern raised about your seams should be addressed.
I don't know if you are too far along yet, but you may consider staggering the seams of your back and bottom, so that you don't have one big "fault line" running down two whole sides (if you think of the bottom as a "side") of the tank.
Another suggestion would be to run a couple of 10' 2x4s across the back from side to side (with the short edge against the tank), to give it some further strength against bowing.
Nice build!

ameno

Neat project, will be interesting to see how it all comes together, may have to start stocking me up some plywood

steelgluer

Originally Posted by Brandan
Not to be rude, but what is your background? Have you built a wood tank, or speak from experience? Just wondering
Im a Gc General Contractor

jtrzerocool

this project is going to be great...i am subscribing to this one...please remember to take LOTS of pics...you can never take to many

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Another suggestion would be to run a couple of 10' 2x4s across the back from side to side (with the short edge against the tank), to give it some further strength against bowing.
Nice build!

Like i said 2x4 walers.And if yo do the same on sides you can overlap 2x4s and lock corners.If its good enough for concrete forms ,im sure it will work for a plywood aquarium.

steelgluer

Veni Vidi Vici said:
Like i said 2x4 walers.And if yo do the same on sides you can overlap 2x4s and lock corners.If its good enough for concrete Same thing I was thinking. Something like this

veni vidi vici

SteelGluer said:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
Like i said 2x4 walers.And if yo do the same on sides you can overlap 2x4s and lock corners.If its good enough for concrete Same thing I was thinking. Something like this
Yes,but if you run the 2x4 horizontally ,and run you 2x4s or 2x6 3-1/2" or 5-1/2"past on both side on back and do the same on sides you can overlap and fasten walers together to lock in corners.
I think the frameing in the photo would work as well.
Only thing i would add to that is band the corners to prevent blow out.

steelgluer

Veni Vidi Vici said:
Yes,but if you run the 2x4 horizontally ,and run you 2x4s or 2x6 3-1/2" or 5-1/2"past on both side on back and do the same on sides you can overlap and fasten walers together to lock in corners.
I think the frameing in the photo would work as well.
Only thing i would add to that is band the corners to prevent blow out.
Yea the bottom plate should have been cut to length that ties the side in, and the height 1 1/2 shorter for the top plate to be the same as the bottom plate also tying the side in. same as building a wall

veni vidi vici

SteelGluer said:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
Yea the bottom plate should have been cut to length that ties the side in, and the height 1 1/2 shorter for the top plate to be the same as the bottom plate also tying the side in. same as building a wall
Yup ,key is to lock corners and beef up any seams to prevent blow out.But then again this isnt a house so my knowledge of what you are trying to accomplish is limited.Aquarium 101 isnt my strong point
i could build you fish and coral one heck of a house though.

bronco300

Originally Posted by SCSInet
I think if you eurobrace as you described, then then the concern raised about your seams should be addressed.
I don't know if you are too far along yet, but you may consider staggering the seams of your back and bottom, so that you don't have one big "fault line" running down two whole sides (if you think of the bottom as a "side") of the tank.
Nice build!

my original plan was to run a 2x4 frame against the back etc for extra support but i have been assured by many people who have built plywood tanks that it will not be necessary and the epoxy will be much much stronger than realized. IF for any reason when i run a water test at first it does bow to much i can always make another frame to put around it...but sorry guys, at this point I am going with this plan that i've been given by other plywood tank builders..and can always add to if down the road it shows weakness.
oh and yes, the seam that will be for the bottom will not be at the same place for the back, they will be opposite of each other

bronco300

Originally Posted by ameno
Neat project, will be interesting to see how it all comes together, may have to start stocking me up some plywood

haha, thanks....its a fun project and nice that it can be longer so i dont have to throw my money all at the same time.
this project is going to be great...i am subscribing to this one...please remember to take LOTS of pics...you can never take to many
no worries, i will be taking TONS of pictures

bronco300

Originally Posted by WangoTango
Can't wait to see it up and running. What are your plans for it?
It looks like you're building your own wavebox, I'd really like to see how you put this together.
-Justin
sorry i missed this....my plans are a blown out zoo mixed reef
I'm not a big fish fan...but i'll put more than the three i have, some purple fires, bangaiis, chromis school...maybe something else, not sure though...but mixed reef most of all

brandan

Im a Gc General Contractor
Thank you for not blowing that out of proportion. Most people would have started a fight. Looks great Luke.