LED DIY LIGHT build

acrylic51

Josh it would appear to me that the box aluminum would have more surface area to disipitate heat away from the LEDs.... Someone correct me if I'm off?

1snapple

It would, but doesn't the inside of it increase the temperature? I mean the air inside it not moving is acting as an insulator keeping the heat in?
Correct me if im wrong to?

acrylic51

I don't think you'd have any more heat build up with box. The heat is pulled from the LED and pulled away; not forced down through the heat sink material. I am under the impression is would be pulled away from the LED an towards the edges of the heat sink material??? I might be way off, but again a simple cooling fan blown through the tube would add in cooling and possibly increase LED life a well.

J

jstdv8

Pretty sure these units usually have little fans on them, that should keep the box from heating up inside since the heat is shot out the end.

1snapple

Ya, still waiting on the LEDs to arrive. I cannot find any place that sells green or red LEDs under $8

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Snapple http:///forum/thread/383238/led-diy-light-build/20#post_3351963
It would, but doesn't the inside of it increase the temperature? I mean the air inside it not moving is acting as an insulator keeping the heat in?
Correct me if im wrong to?
Simple fix for that. Setup one fan at one end to suck air into the box and setup another fan at the other end to suck the air out.
But that would be a horrid design for a heatsink. Ideally you want a heatsink to have one solid surface where the heat is expected to build up. On the opposite side is where the fins are and the fins need to go in the direction of airflow so that the heated air rises and pulls cool air in at the bottom.
edit: carp, forgot to ask. can ya post a pic of the heatsink you got so far, as well as pics of the LEDs when you get them before they are installed?

monsinour

i have been repremanded about my swearing far to often to get a temp ban for saying what it would be with the a and r swapped.

1snapple

Oh, i thought you where idenifying me as carp....
I was gonna say im snapple or josh

Should get the 3rd bar cut tomorrow, and maybe even riveted.... I still think i should use a small amount of epoxy on the joints.
Thoughts on this? Would the epoxy be to much of an insulator?

monsinour

realistically, a heatsink should look like this.

You could then mount the fans to the top of the fins so that it sucks air up through the fan. This would put the heat away from the lights and tank, and draw cooler air in through the fins. Its exactly how a heatsink is done over a CPU on a PC. The fins should be welded to the main piece. Glueing them wont transfer enough heat from the thick piece to the fins.

2quills

If you go with an appropriate sized heat sink than fans shouldn't necessarily be needed but they could be a benefit to have. I'm thinking your aluminum bars are going to get pretty hot and the leds aren't going to last nearly as long as they could using a heat sink. Heat build up is also going to depend alot on the spacing of the led's. IIRC, I think the heat sinks are typically milled out of a solid chunk of aluminum.
Did you ever check out that build that I posted the link for? I would try to emulate something like that for your tank.

1snapple

I was thinking spacing the leds 2 1/2" apart.
Monisinour I think you have the wrong idea of what i am doing, I am not doing fins.
It will look like this.
the black will be on top of the grey.
Both is aluminum.

rslinger

I don't know i have seen a few build's with out heatsink just flat sheets... They say the metal stays cool to the touch.

1snapple

Not sure, I guess we will find out... And if the bars get to hot i will try square aluminum and see if that works.

1snapple

terrible news, I found FLATWORMS in my tank.
Any recommendations for treatments? The 1 frag I don't dip has baby flatworms on it....

J

jstdv8

you can use flatworm exit if there arent a bunch of them. you can't kill them off if they are everywhere becuase they secrete poison when they die.
if they are clearish brown and look kinda like a rounded topped star trek symbol and you only see a couple you are probably just fine.
BTW, I have a sixline and Ive never seen him eat any of my flatworms or my bristleworms or my feather dusters.