Less then a day old 8 Gallon

saltyvt

Decided to try a oceanic bio-cube 8 gal. I have to admit its quite impressive so far. 17lb of LS, 4 1/2 pounds of nice LR. three hermits, a turbo snail, coral banded shrimp (from my 2 1/2 gallon) and a clown named sushi. Going good so far!!!!

saltyvt

No, I am using cured LR and LS. I have been monitoring all levels in the tank. If anything starts to stress out sushi, out he/she goes. I have done this many many times without a death yet (knock on wood). I love fish and wouldn't ever do anything to hurt one. Unless I am feeding my zebra eel a gold fish or two......

saltyvt

True, that but that was a pre-established tank set up I got from my LFS, and had already been cycled before I got it. Got the fish weeks after I brought the tank home too. I meant i haven't had a fish die on me from cycling a tank..... Also I recenlty re-started that 2 1/2 gallon again, this time no fish at all!!! It had been sitting on my desk for a couple months not up and running, before I started it back up. That is why I have it down as a three week old, scince restarting it. Technically its 9 month old aleast.

syndrome

you do know that you are hurting your eel by feeding it gold fish. they are probably one of the least nutritional things you can give it. I also thought that zebra eels were one of the most docile eel since it does not belong to the gymnothorax order. i have never seen one eat a live fish

saltyvt

Man what a fun site, anyone have anything else to add???? I was simply sharing my new tank with people and then.......... I have been maintaining salt tanks for over 6 years now. I have tried every type of fish that i could get my hands on. I have studied every fish I have gotten to make sure I can give it the best life possible. If i couldn't do it i didn't get it. No I am not an expert on tanks, I have good knowledge on what to do though, so please I don't need peoples negative comments on everything. And no I didn't only feed my Zebra eel goldfish, besides I got rid of it years ago, that was in my 55. :mad:

bigpete

Originally Posted by saltyVT
No, I am using cured LR and LS. I have been monitoring all levels in the tank. If anything starts to stress out sushi, out he/she goes. I have done this many many times without a death yet (knock on wood). I love fish and wouldn't ever do anything to hurt one. Unless I am feeding my zebra eel a gold fish or two......
im pretty sure you are hurting your clown by putting him through the cycling process...and for the zebra eel...im not too sure how healthy goldfish are. i wonder how many goldfish they catch out on the reef? :notsure:

highcottn1

Originally Posted by bigpete
im pretty sure you are hurting your clown by putting him through the cycling process...and for the zebra eel...im not too sure how healthy goldfish are. i wonder how many goldfish they catch out on the reef? :notsure:

I agree if the ammonia starts to swing he will be in trouble.

bigpete

correct me if im wrong, but doesent ammonia slowly eat away at the gills? i'll go out on a limb here and give u that clowns are pretty hardy, but i wouldnt use them to cycle a tank. he looks ok so far...but still i feel bad. your aquascape does look pretty cool though. good luck.

saltyvt

I understand all that you say, I have aQT tank and will be monitoring levels everyday. everything has been zeroed out. Once if I get any spikes out he/she goes. I'm not in to torturing anything....

saltyvt

Not anytime soon if at all. Don't want to overload it. Rather pile in the corals then the fish
maybe a very small gobie at some point down the road. :happyfish

saltyvt

Thanks I really lucked out on the rock, I want to get more LR but don't wnat to hide that rock at all........
those pics of the tank aren't that good here the updated ones. so far so good.

highcottn1

IMO You are doing the right thing by monitering the tank even before it has cycled and that is smart. even so if u used tap water you would still want all of the mixtures of the water to mix very well, and go through the filterations a couple of times.