lion on the bottom of the tank

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I have to say he seems pretty far gone, however, if you are willing, then you can try.
A rubbermaid is a good idea, and use egg crate for the cover. You don't want the fish in complete darkness, as sick fish are more likely to pass in darkness than not.
You will need to prepare a large amt of freshly well mixed salt water. Use the water in your display for your QT, but then replace the new salt water in the display. Cover the bottom of the rubbermaid with a very small layer of live sand from your display. This should just be enough to have a bit of sand, but not a thick layer.
Keep the water movement in the QT going throughout the system, and surface of the top should be rippling. If you can get a small pump that will shoot water up from the bottom of the rubbermaid to the surface that would be best. But don't make circulation so strong the fish is being banged about.
Be sure to add either fake rocks or PVC in for the fish.
At this point, don't bother feeding this fish since its not going to eat, and the added waste will just degrade the QT.
When you move the fish to the QT, don't remove him from water by netting. Get him into a submerged zip-lock, keeping him in water, then make the move. Since the water in QT is the same as water from display, little acclimation is necessary.
Don't forget you may need to heat the QT to match the temp in the display.
Don't leave the fish in dark. A bit of room lighting will work.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, I was responding to your previous post and you must have just posted up the bad news.
Sorry to hear this.
Wrap him up in aluminum foil real good, put him in a ziplock, and then in the garbage. Just be sure he is dead.

rlablan

I am always willing to try. I brought the foxface back from an infection and he is still going strong. I just feel so bad.
I think he is pretty dead. He has been sitting in the same place, face in the rocks, no gill or mouth movement and no response when I touched him with the algae scraper.
So another question then.... Are these bacterial infection common or something? They seem to be for me... If that is what it is. The foxface had it, still might but seems fine and now the lion who I have only had for about 1 week.
Does this mean the rest of my tank will have it too then? Will it stay in the tank, and would running a UV help to rid my tank of this??

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Bacterial infections are usually reflective of an environment that is not as good as it should be or food quality is not.
Having an established quarantine tank will go a long way in addressing many fish issues before they get to this point.

skate020

you should get a QT, about 50g
get all the basic stuff in there, small cannister filter, heater, maybe a small skimmer, and keep all the fish in there and do a 100% water change in your DT, leave it till its fully cycled. then re introduce the fish.
you could set up the QT as hyposalinty, to make sure your fish have no bacterial infections.

rlablan

I guess I never mentioned on here... He died as I was posting all of this. I ended up taking the tank down a few days after that. Having him die on me like that, and then having to remove him was incredibly traumatic. I still dream about that and it totally freaks me out.
Thanks to everyone who tried to help though. I do appreciate it.

J

jstdv8

mine didnt have any scale damage like that but it would sit on the bottom and slightly to one side when i was having PH problems. when PH was good he would be up and active and when PH was low, on the bottom and tipped.
Dripped some kalkwasser and got more surface agitation and my PH problems went away.
I dont know if that will help, but thats what my lion did.