List of fish/inverts that hobbiests should avoid

texasmetal

Blue-Ring Octopus... and need I mention "Wonderpus" or "Mimic" Octopus again...
Blue-Rings for their ability to kill a person. Not just a bite and "I'm dead" a few minutes later, but being fully aware that you are dying, but being unable to speak, breathe, move, or blink until you finally do die. Completely aware of what's going on around you but not being able to do anything about it. Not a good way to die.
"Wonderpus" or Mimic Octopus because they are a rare find in the ocean. Possibly an endangered species. Very little is known about keeping them in captivity, because the mortality rate is very high, even amongst expert level hobbyists and scientists. Keeping of such a creature is very selfish.
Any other octopus really, because they need an escape proof tank. Since they can squeeze through any hole the size of their relatively TINY beak, this is much harder than most reallize. Also, they rarely adapt to frozen food, some will, some won't. You almost never know exactly what species you are getting. Pygmy? Briareus? Vulgaris? "Common Reef Octopus" doesn't mean anything but "I don't know what kind it is". Species specification is important for the husbandry of the animal because you don't know if it's going to prefer day or night, crabs or fish, mud or shells. How old the animal is vs. how long it has to live.
The continuance of purchasing these animals from unreliable sources perpetuates the trade in an irresponsible manner. And not only octopus, but any sea dwelling creature that would have faired better in the ocean than in captivity, and that says A LOT. Given, there is room for experimenting, which got the hobby this far, but should only be attempted by people with the right experience.

dingo0722

This is a very informative post but I have to disagree with horseshoe crabs. I have had them in my tank for a long time and they have been a fantastic addition to my tank. They keep the sand bed clean and they are fun to watch. The ones I have have not grown at all in a couple of years. They also don’t mess with your rock work like some snail can by wedging themselves into crevices and knocking over stuff

snipe

Im going to agree that most if not all fish at the young stages even yellow tangs at tiny sizes such as 2 inches or less are extremely hard to raise.

snipe

on the note of sun corals they are actually not hard to raise. Mine ate meat just like an anemone and they split and grew and really well. There not an everyday eater either so its all cool.

saska

I have a question regarding the neon goby, I have read that it is easy to keep, but you have added it to this site. What are the reasons that this fish should be avoided? Is it related to its diet, or fish compatibility? I saw one in a lfs and wanted to add it to my tank with my captive breed bangaii cardinals (another fish I saw on this thread).

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Saska
I have a question regarding the neon goby, I have read that it is easy to keep, but you have added it to this site. What are the reasons that this fish should be avoided? Is it related to its diet, or fish compatibility? I saw one in a lfs and wanted to add it to my tank with my captive breed bangaii cardinals (another fish I saw on this thread).
Wild neon gobies have a terrible survival rate and very often get ich. Tank raised/bred neon gobies are very easy to keep.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Snipe
on the note of sun corals they are actually not hard to raise. Mine ate meat just like an anemone and they split and grew and really well. There not an everyday eater either so its all cool.
Every one of the above fish/corals has been indeed kept in captivity by other aquarists. That does not mean they are easy or should be kept though. Their survival rates are poor because so few of them feed readily.

aqua3111976

Originally Posted by dc2mlbsm
http:///forum/post/1779786
sand sifting star? it dies in tanks under 100 g
i only have a 75 gallon tank and i have had 2 sand sifting starfish living in there for almost a year now. They are actually great to watch they surface every day for most of the day then rebury themselves. my kids get a kick out of them when they actually climb up on the glass and they can see what they look like underneath.

B

bluetang12

acutally achilles tangs are about like keeping powder blues.

hlcroghan

Okay I have some questions then.....In the future, prolly next March I will be purchasing a 150 gallon tank. I would like to have a fish in there that are very bright colors with some personality. I am not sure whether or not to go aggressive or non. Can you help me as to which style is the best looking or is it better to have aggressive and just a few fish in there? I have been keeping fresh water for years and this is completely new territory for me.

sk8shorty01

hlcroghan:
I would start your own thread in the "new hobbyists" section on your tank, including all the filtration you want so that way you can have a thread dedicated to your exact situation. You will probably get a better response there.
Lion_crazz, I don't remember seeing cuttlefish on the list, as they have very strict requirements and are a very sensitive species. Jellyfish would also be another one too add that I don't remember seeing (although I have read 177 posts from the time I read the original list). Just a thought.

rudedog40

I didn't look at every page on this thread, but on the ones I did read, I noticed you didn't include the Mandarin Dragonet (or did you?). Seems like every new saltwater hobbyist that comes here starts off by saying they want a Mandarin for their tank. I wouldn't mind one myself, but have learned from this board this fish should be avoided at all costs until you have a well established tank. It feeds primarily on copepods, and rarely will eat frozen. My understanding is. unless you have a fuge to breed copepods, or want to spend hundreds of dollars buying them, don't get this fish unless you want it to starve to death in a few months time.

durag14

ty for the info i do have a clow tang and no probs for about 6-7mo eats great and is very helthy but i know what u mean by they are hard to keep my buudy came by and seen mine asked how long i have had him and when i told him about 6 or 7 mo he told me he has not kept 1 for more than a month so he no longer wants one but any way the list is very help full

K

kikithemermaid

This should be stickied! I don't know if this has been added, but jellyfish and octopus should be on there IMO.

seltzerd

I would also add those beautiful sea slugs. They all starve to death as we don't know what they really eat. It is thought only very specific sponges. They are awesome, but had one in my first tank and was sad to watch it slowly die. We should not be providing a market for those animals we can not keep in captivity.