looking 2 a idiot proof coral

ok to find out all my tank set up cheek reef tank section under NEED MAJOR HELP
I am looking for the easiest coral thats is cheap. I have tried some in the past with no luck. So if anyone can help me PLEASE feel free to school me

ph 8.0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
ammonia 0.25
s.g. 1.027
A odyssea 175 watt mh with 2 24 watt actinic blue lamps
It's over a year old

steelytom

How many fish, what kind, and what size. You should try and keep ammonia as close to zero as possible. 1.27 is a little high as well, but I don't know if that would kill coral. I try to keep mine at 1.24. Also be aware that swing arm hydrometers can be very inaccurate. Are you aware that MH bulbs need replaced after a year of use. I would say mushrooms would be your best bet.

bang guy

I second the Mushroom or even Protopalythoa. These are both very hardy. To get "idiot proof" coral you have to go with plastic.
A s.g. of 1.027 is probably in the ideal range depending on the water temp. Average salinity of tropical reefs is 35ppt - 37ppt.
Don't add anthing until your ammonia level is 0.00ppm. Are you using the ammonia test kit from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals? If so, throw it away and get a different brand, Salifert is good.

ok my tank is a 35 hex
I have 2 clowns, green chromis, blak&yellow chromis, a neme. & a cc star
so is marine snow good 2 feed?
i am working on amonia
& i am getting 2 people on sg 1 to high 1 right so what is it?

aquaguy24

i'd wait till ammonia hits 0. ur sg is a little high but nothing to worry about.1.025 is ideal for corals..i'd also get rid of the cc star if u want to go ahead with corals.. purple or red mushrooms are some of the easiest corals to keep...but i'd find out why the corals u had before died before moving forward with more easier corals...also u can look into replacing ur bulbs...

silverdak

Originally Posted by KENTUCKY BOY
http:///forum/post/2822626
ok my tank is a 35 hex
I have 2 clowns, green chromis, blak&yellow chromis, a neme. & a cc star
so is marine snow good 2 feed?
i am working on amonia
& i am getting 2 people on sg 1 to high 1 right so what is it?
cc star meaning a chocolate chip star?? I was under the impression they are NOT reef safe...

ok i will get rid of it was using it 2 eat some algee
just took another sg reading 1.025 & my ammonia is close to 0
so is marine snow a good food for mushrooms?

bang guy

http:///forum/post/2822651
ok i will get rid of it was using it 2 eat some algee
just took another sg reading 1.025 & my ammonia is close to 0
so is marine snow a good food for mushrooms?
No, there is nothing in Marine Snow that Mushrooms will eat. To be honest, Marine Snow is about 99% water.
If you buy the standard Discosoma Mushroom there is no need to feed it. I will get everything it needs from the water.

nycbob

shrooms and zoas r the easiest. ammonia should be at 0 at all time imo, unless u hv things that died all the time. no need to feed anything to shrooms and zoas since doing so will worsen ur water quality.

bang guy

http:///forum/post/2822802
Ok Sweet
So Whats Up With Replacing A Mh Bulb Evey Year??????????

Not all MH bulbs degrade at the same rate. Some can last 4 years, some only last 6 months.
You see, they may be still putting out light and look bright to human eyes but they may be putting out less than half of the light of a newer bulb because the phosphors wear out.
I recommend a LUX meter (because PAR meters are too expensive). A LUX meter cannot tell you how much light a bulb is producing, but it can tell you the relative health of the bulb if you record the Lumens from when the bulb was healthy.
About one month after you start using a bulb record the Lumens from about 6" away. Then periodically test the bulb from the exact same distance. I replace my bulbs after they degrade 15%, you can do more or less, it's up to you.
Just replacing bulbs every year is blindly throwing money away, or you may be starving your corals without realizing it.

stdreb27

As far as an idoit proof coral, I'd go with a Kenya tree. They get quite large, are relatively attractive, and are just about impossible to kill.

gman08016

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2825038
As far as an idoit proof coral, I'd go with a Kenya tree. They get quite large, are relatively attractive, and are just about impossible to kill.
Second on this got so many growing i think there starting to grow in my toilet from dumping them there.