lucky!!

mr.clownfish

i went to buy some live rock for my friend (new to saltwater fish)
today he called me about a baby octopus. he says it changes colors.
do they eat fish or what? he dosent want it in there how can we get it out? and all his rocks are covered in mushrooms so we cant use any chemicals.

greg9871

i think the 2 ltr pop bottle with the top cut off and flipped over would work good if the octo is less than a couple inches across,just put some food in the trap , im pretty sure it will eat any fish that are in the tank, since this is normally an animal you can have only one per tank, and once you catch it you can mail it to me if you dont want it
otherwise take it back to lfs for some credit.

mr.clownfish

Originally Posted by Greg9871
http:///forum/post/2636981
it would also be great if you could get a pic
we have tried but the pic comes out blurry. where going to try that trap thing you said thanks

and the only fish he has in there is a clown

reefforbrains

first and foremost identify for certain that is is NOT a blue ring.
Some people actually do keep blue rings in thier tanks BUT this is a very risky endevour if you are not experienced in keeping octo's.
Please be careful until you know what kind it is.

mr.clownfish

it dosent have any rings but it changes color when it goes on diffrent colored rocks. he is really tiny maybe an inch from one tentical to the opposite side. he is always hiding between the live rock.
oh and are they reef safe?????

reefforbrains

No- not reef safe, they will go to great lengths to eat all the inverts.
Also note they are escape artists of the the 007 variety. Extremely skilled at escape. Best kept in a species only tank.
Colors can, and do change drastically on most specimens. I again bring up the blue ring not to scare you but because it is THAT serious. One bite is typically fatal since no known antidote currently is in existance.
BR's are often very mild colored almost washed out looking until startled or scared. Colors range across the board so please post a pic if possible to get some input. There are many species that are perfectly safe and hamrless. Always make sure about a concrete ID before handling.

greg9871

you can still send it my way, i would be willing to pay lol, (i dont have anyway of attaining one anywhere around me)

morval

all octopus can change color they all have color changing cells in there skin, chromatophores contain yellow, orange, red, brown, or black pigments; most species have three of these colors, while some have two or four. Other color-changing cells are reflective iridophores, and leucophores (white)

salt210

my lfs had an octo. I was checking out their livestock which I do at least once a week and caught it out of the corner of my eye. I had to do a double take. Ive never seen them alive just fried

greg9871

well im having trouble iding it but some common octo's are:
Octopus bocki
Octopus aculeatus
Octopus vulgaris
Octopus briareus
Octopus bimaculoides
Mimic Octopus
Wunderpus
the one that you should avoid is the:
Hapalochlaena Spp
it only looks like some of those but that may just be that they can change colors, so since you have actually seen it it may be easier for you to just google those names and see what one it looks like the most