Luvmyreef's 20g Nano Build

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyreef http:///t/389771/luvmyreefs-20g-nano-build/240#post_3500485
I think I will. I might spritz it with peroxide, scrub it, then use it. Just to be safe. I could also add some good bacteria in there too to help it cycle. ;)
Yeah, peroxide shouldn't hurt a thing. Use it liberally! Make sure you're using a clean, unused scrubber!
I'm looking forward to more pics when you get the chance!

luvmyreef

Oh yeah lol. I have already bought 4 big bottles of it. I have a whole tote full of extra rock that I have decided not to use in the 180g right now. Maybe never.... So, that is the plan then....

luvmyreef

Ok, another question. I probably should of drilled the return a little more to the right because it doesnt come down exactly to where it needs to be. So, I can either move the sump to the right or left inside the stand, which makes either the overflow or the return need several elbows to get to the exact section of the sump. I am thinking to make the return side have the elbows. I am thinking two but possibly three to get it to the return section where the pump will be. Sound right? Also, should I use a ball valve on the return side to reduce flow from the pump if I need to? I know I should not use one on the overflow, but it should be ok for the return right? If not, how do you reduce the flow? Thx.
Does it matter how many elbows you put on the overflow or return?

luvmyreef

Well, I guess it doesn't matter. I just don't want to build it wrong. I have placed a couple orders, so they should arrive in 5-7 days. I dry fitted everything. I just have to cut the pvc pipe, and get it to the right spots. I might have to buy more elbows. So far though it is looking good. I can't wait for the skimmer and stuff to get here so I can get the sump done....;)

luvmyreef

Well, just got my Koralia, and eheim jager 75w heater. My other order didn't arrive today, so I am still waiting on the danner pump. I am gonna go scrub the rock today and use peroxide on it. I am getting there lol.

luvmyreef

Ya know, I am starting to think about what fish to put in here with my pair of b/w clowns. I am thinking a couple small ones. Maybe a blenny, like the bicolor or another tail spot. And maybe later on a red mandarin, or scooter blenny. I will seed the tank with tisbe pods first. I am not sure yet, but I should be able to add a couple new fish with the clowns without causing issues.....any suggestions?

luvmyreef

Well, I just finished scrubbing all the rock. I noticed some lobo on a piece, but it came right off with the peroxide spray. I didn't realize how much rock I had in that tote!! It would fill a 40g tank easy I think lol. I just hope the dino is dead on it. It has been in the dark for months, so I think its ok. I am starting to get excited about this build. I told you all it would be slow, but it is now on a faster track....

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyreef http:///t/389771/luvmyreefs-20g-nano-build/260#post_3500489
Oh yeah lol. I have already bought 4 big bottles of it. I have a whole tote full of extra rock that I have decided not to use in the 180g right now. Maybe never.... So, that is the plan then....
Good. Glad you figured it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyreef http:///t/389771/luvmyreefs-20g-nano-build/260#post_3500529
Ok, another question. I probably should of drilled the return a little more to the right because it doesnt come down exactly to where it needs to be. So, I can either move the sump to the right or left inside the stand, which makes either the overflow or the return need several elbows to get to the exact section of the sump. I am thinking to make the return side have the elbows. I am thinking two but possibly three to get it to the return section where the pump will be. Sound right? Also, should I use a ball valve on the return side to reduce flow from the pump if I need to? I know I should not use one on the overflow, but it should be ok for the return right? If not, how do you reduce the flow? Thx.
Does it matter how many elbows you put on the overflow or return?
Elbows generally don't cut down the flow from the return pump a lot. Maybe a few gallons, but nothing major. Same thing with an overflow pipe - nothing major there. It really just depends on what you want to work with. You reduce the flow of the pump with a ball valve. Make sure you drill a small hole in the return line right at the water level - typically 1/8th of an inch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyreef http:///t/389771/luvmyreefs-20g-nano-build/260#post_3500661
Well, I guess it doesn't matter. I just don't want to build it wrong. I have placed a couple orders, so they should arrive in 5-7 days. I dry fitted everything. I just have to cut the pvc pipe, and get it to the right spots. I might have to buy more elbows. So far though it is looking good. I can't wait for the skimmer and stuff to get here so I can get the sump done....;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyreef
http:///t/389771/luvmyreefs-20g-nano-build/260#post_3501036
Well, just got my Koralia, and eheim jager 75w heater. My other order didn't arrive today, so I am still waiting on the danner pump. I am gonna go scrub the rock today and use peroxide on it. I am getting there lol.
Yes you are! I'm excited for some pics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyreef
ineimg" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" />
Ya know, I am starting to think about what fish to put in here with my pair of b/w clowns. I am thinking a couple small ones. Maybe a blenny, like the bicolor or another tail spot. And maybe later on a red mandarin, or scooter blenny. I will seed the tank with tisbe pods first. I am not sure yet, but I should be able to add a couple new fish with the clowns without causing issues.....any suggestions?
If I had to do it over again, I would only go with three fish in a 20g tank. I like the combination of clowns with a bicolor, personally. B&W clowns do grow a bit big, so you may consider that as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyreef http:///t/389771/luvmyreefs-20g-nano-build/260#post_3501062
Well, I just finished scrubbing all the rock. I noticed some lobo on a piece, but it came right off with the peroxide spray. I didn't realize how much rock I had in that tote!! It would fill a 40g tank easy I think lol. I just hope the dino is dead on it. It has been in the dark for months, so I think its ok. I am starting to get excited about this build. I told you all it would be slow, but it is now on a faster track....

That's awesome. No, I don't think you will have any dino. If you did, you are just the most unlucky person on the planet. lol Don't forget the pics!

luvmyreef

Thanks Seth. Hopefully I am not the most unlucky person on the planet lol. Pics later on for ya!! Now, why the small hole on the return? (Remember, this is my first sump).

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyreef http:///t/389771/luvmyreefs-20g-nano-build/260#post_3501088
Thanks Seth. Hopefully I am not the most unlucky person on the planet lol. Pics later on for ya!! Now, why the small hole on the return? (Remember, this is my first sump).

wow, I didn't know this was your first sump. Congrats.
The hole in the return line at the water line is to keep your return line from back-siphoning a lot of water. If your return nozzle is really long and you point it really far down into the water, and you stop your return pump - you create a siphon, which causes your return to siphon out as much water as far as the nozzle is down in the tank. .... If you don't get it now, just read it a few times... if you still don't get it, I'll try to explain it better. Anyways, this small hole (preferably two, just in case a snail decides to park over one of them) is to let air get sucked into the return plumbing and stop the siphon prematurely.
I recommend doing this on all setups with sumps - even though you could simply not put the nozzle below the bulkhead, or up top on the water line. In fact, I prefer to put my return nozzles at the water line so that it increases gas exchange and helps keep the pH elevated. It also provides more aeration to the tank - which also increases the amount and ability of aerobic bacteria for nitrification. Blah, now I'm going all bio-nerd on you.

luvmyreef

Yep, first one lol. Thanks. You have been a big help.
I have the locline on the return end so I can put it where I want. I understand what you are saying about the back siphon. So, I will be drilling holes then.

snakeblitz33

Eh, I've just taken a vague interest in your tank, that's all. Since I have owned numerous smaller tanks I have a pretty good knowledge of what works and what doesn't work. I'm just glad that I can help.
I am starting to really hunker down on the saltwater manual that I am writing - it's coming along, but at a snails pace. lol Recently, however, I have committed to writing a page a day - and that seems to be making my progress a lot more steady - even after doing it only a week, I feel like my ability to get it done is within sight now. Anyways, I know you didn't ask about that, but I just wanted to share, since I feel like we have become friends through all of this. lol

luvmyreef

Well, I am glad you give me advice on this, especially since you have a 20g. This is my first drilled tank with sump! That is why I asked so many questions. Anyway, good luck with your writing. Usually once it starts to flow, you can finish in no time.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyreef http:///t/389771/luvmyreefs-20g-nano-build/260#post_3501106
Well, I am glad you give me advice on this, especially since you have a 20g. This is my first drilled tank with sump! That is why I asked so many questions. Anyway, good luck with your writing. Usually once it starts to flow, you can finish in no time.
I have had several 20g tanks up and going in the course of my experience... I just recently took down my 20g nano in the last month or so. I upgraded to a 75g and the 20g was taken down due to space.

luvmyreef

Oh, ok. I thought you had both of them up. I am thinking of the stocking list, and I will definitely go with a blenny. I want something to eat algae in there. And I will also add a cleaner shrimp. I really like how the two in the 180g go all over the rocks looking for food. I will not put nass or ceriths in this tank cause I will have no sand for them. I already have a ton of banded trochus snails to use. Probably add a couple hermits too. I already have big red in the 10g, so he will go into this tank.

luvmyreef

Well, got the dan. mag 3 pump yesterday! Now I need the skimmer so I can get this sump done, and put everything together. ;)

luvmyreef

Well, I have been messing with the rocks I have to aquascape this tank with, and I have come up with a couple different ones. Here is a couple pics of the one I will probably do. It might be too much rock, IDK.....Comments?

Front View

View from above

View from right side

luvmyreef

Thanks Seth. I have a lot of rock, but just couldn't get it any higher and wider without drilling it. So, I thought this would be ok, cause I will put some sps, etc on top which should make it look really nice when its done.