making bulk live rock

shiby1510

quikcrete = crap
right?? that stuff is no good i think... or please correct me if i'm wrong... cuz they had a ton of that stuff.
In addition,
is it possible if i find the tropical sand to just mix that with the concrete instead of oysters or agronite sand?

scott9311

Originally posted by shiby1510
quikcrete = crap
right?? that stuff is no good i think... or please correct me if i'm wrong... cuz they had a ton of that stuff.
In addition,
is it possible if i find the tropical sand to just mix that with the concrete instead of oysters or agronite sand?

People have used quickcrete... but be warned, it contains silicates. Personally, I wouldn't use it (nor would a vast majority here I imagine).
I'm not so sure about using the sand as your mix... The idea behind using oyster shells is that it creates a pourous rock, and also adds to the texture (not to mention calcium). It's very cheap ($7 for a 50 lb bag) and readily available at any farm supply store.

scott9311

No...actual farm supplies (though you may find a nursery that has it). Google it (or do it the old fashioned way and look in the yellow pages). Shouldn't be a problem in PA...

scott9311

Look up Myco Supply in Pittsburgh. You may even ask them about the tropical sand... I get mine from the farm store here:)

scott9311

A couple of more pics for everyone. I'm probably going to make only one more, then fill the rest with anywhere from 50-100 lbs of live rock. The cabinet it's on is 8' long, to give you an idea of the size...

shiby1510

btw scott..... what did u mean by one of ur earlier posts of a lot of elbow grease also.... was that just a little joke?? or did u use it for something?

A

andretti

Nice work Scotty! You should sell your stuff on that auctions site! Looks like I'll have to make more, because all I did was make about 100 lbs of base rock. I did not get fancy with molds or shapes, I just mixed, shaped, and dried. I can't stand when people do things better than me so tomorrow, it's off to Home Depot! Seriously, you should sell your stuff. The $4-6 people pay for a piece of rock is insaine! I actually traded about 40 lbs of my stuff for a used 30 gallon fuge and a maxijet p/h. God knows what you could get for yours. I'd pay $25-30 for a few that you've posted. My wife will hate YOU for this!!!!

scott9311

Thanks Andretti! I started off making it basically how you did, but when I realized how easy it was to form any shape I wanted, I started getting a bit creative with it. Maybe having an art background helps...?
I agree... It IS insane how much we have to pay for LR. Granted, it definitely serves a valuable purpose and is very colorful, but it's also the most expensive purchase you have to make for your aquarium. Ours will eventually gain the same color and will provide the same benefits... but at a FRACTION of the cost! Personally, I think it looks better than LR... even without the coraline algae yet on it. If mine was already cured... I'd be tempted to rip out most of the LR in my 120 and replace it with what I've made!
I have had someone offer to buy some from me. I told him I'd make him some after I finished my little project, but have given him a few of my "rejects". I couldn't imagine selling it on "that auction site". Can you imagine how much the shipping would be?!?!?
As far as your wife hating me Andretti... It wouldn't be the first time (though it's usually mine that's doing the hating)!!!!

tonythfish

I just started my first production run and I feel that the 5 to 1 ratio cement / oyster shell is to brittle . I tried 4 to 1 still the same . Is there an issue going to 3 to 1 ?:eek:

scott9311

Originally posted by tonythfish
I just started my first production run and I feel that the 5 to 1 ratio cement / oyster shell is to brittle . I tried 4 to 1 still the same . Is there an issue going to 3 to 1 ?:eek:

No...it shouldn't be an issue. Are you letting it set-up long enough? Try leaving it in the mold for 48 hours. Also remember that as you cure it, it will strengthen.

hckycoz

ok ive been reading this and im still not quite sure how you made the rocks. if you could please go through this and act like im a 5 year old. please. Also what brands of concrete and stuff you used. thanks

scott9311

Originally posted by hckycoz
ok ive been reading this and im still not quite sure how you made the rocks. if you could please go through this and act like im a 5 year old. please. Also what brands of concrete and stuff you used. thanks

Ok... First you take a spoony-woony... (
) just kidding!
Materials needed:
Portland Type I/II Cement found at any HD or Loew's (Type III is best, but difficult to find), Oyster Shells (usually can be found at farm feed/supply stores...people have substituted this w/anything from plastic sawdust to macaroni, but I prefer the oyster shells), Aragonite Sand (or any type sand to use as your mold... but aragonite is best), fresh water, a bucket (I use an old ocean salt bucket) or similar type container to mix the concrete in, a deep box (preferably styrofoam because it helps to retain heat, but any should do), a small gardening shovel to mix the concrete, and rubber/latex gloves.
The following steps I use to create about 30-50 lbs of rock at a time:
The Mix:
Pour 28 cups of oyster shells in your bucket
Add 7 cups of cement in
Add 8 cups of fresh water (it should be about the consistency of cottage cheese... though a bit thicker, so add/subtract the amount of water you use based upon how thick you want it)
Then mix thoroughly (the hard part)
The Mold:
Pour the aragonite sand in the box you're using... the deeper the better (for more interesting shapes)
Dampen the sand with fresh water to the point that it will hold it's shape
(now the fun part)
Dig out any shapes you like... and add concrete!
Cover what was done with the remaining sand, and let it setup for two days
Carefully dig your new rocks out of the sand, and rinse w/fresh water (I always like to use a paint brush to brush away any excess sand so as not to waste any sand)
...and the MOST important step:
Curing:
Place your rocks in a trashcan (or any other suitable container) filled with fresh water
Do a complete water change every week
Give it a minimum of 5 weeks to cure
Check your PH regularly till it's down to 8.3-8.5
Then enjoy your new rocks:happy: