Mantis tank...anyone remember me??

bmkj02

I like the pipe idea. Looks really nice. I did the same for my 4ft Zebra Eel a year ago. I wanted to cover up the edge like you did with liverock but it would of covered up some of the opening for him to go though. Yours came out real nice.

nwdyr

wow! now thats some pipe work
very cool , I have some LS left over. My question is I opened the bag Fri. night , it is now Mon. How long will it stay "live sand"? I put a cup of tank water in the bag (prob. about 5lbs left in it , the twisted it closed as best I could. Also how do I add the sand in a way that it dont cause a total sand storm? I have that bubble coral in there now and dont want it to get covered in sand.

spanko

IMO there is little if any Life in a bag of "live sand". You just set the tank up pretty much correct? If so don't worry about addig the sand then, go ahead and get a pc. pf PVC pipe and a funnel. Pour the sand in the funnel and aim the end of the PCV where you want the sand to go. You are gonna get some sandstorm no matter how you do it but with this method if you go slow it will be minimized.

chaseter

For my newest tank, I got a 5 gallon bucket, put all my sand in there, added salt water, and mixed up everything. The debris and all the nasty stuff floats to the top and you skim it out with a fish net and then get the sand cup by cup and add it to your rank. Instead of the water being cloudy for a day, it was barely cloudy for maybe an hour or two.

stdreb27

I remember you. :)
But just a thought, if I were going to build one, (it is on my bucket list) I'd want to have a small rock house for the little guy. Then plenty empty space, one so we could play with him, and 2 so we could try and see him. I think with a tank full of lr, that the mantis would just crawl around the rock, and he'd never fully expose himself...

cranberry

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3225181
I remember you. :)
But just a thought, if I were going to build one, (it is on my bucket list) I'd want to have a small rock house for the little guy. Then plenty empty space, one so we could play with him, and 2 so we could try and see him. I think with a tank full of lr, that the mantis would just crawl around the rock, and he'd never fully expose himself...
If a mantis is the interactive type, it won't make a difference. He'll want to be out hanging with the family. It's weird Dood, when you get a long termer, on Christmas morning they have their face smashed to the glass checkin' out everyone sitting on the floor around the sparkly tree. Like they want to come out and play.

chaseter

Yeah my watchmen goby watches me and isn't afraid when I put my hand in the tank...neither are the shrimp. The clown gets mad though. :D

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3225183
If a mantis is the interactive type, it won't make a difference. He'll want to be out hanging with the family. It's weird Dood, when you get a long termer, on Christmas morning they have their face smashed to the glass checkin' out everyone sitting on the floor around the sparkly tree. Like they want to come out and play.
really? Ever one I've ever seen, was just buried for the most part.

nwdyr

great advise guys! I will add some tonight , good to see you again stdreb27
allot of people say the clown...aka..Peacock , is too big for this tank ,but i see them in smaller tanks. The other ones I am looking at are not as colorful and most of them are really small. So yes , in that case I agree they prob. would not be seen allot. I think I am going to go with the Clown and see what happens.

cranberry

He will outgrow the tank when he gets to be an adult. There is no question. You have not seen a full grown mantis if you doubt this, but by that time you'll love him enough to upgrade to a bigger home :)

One thing that does happen sometimes if an environment is too small.... they act "depressed" and don't tinker around as much and are not as interactive.

nwdyr

ok , I think I found one!! The name is Pseudosquilla Ciliata... I will just call him "KILLER" lol.. I looked him up and I guess he is a spearer , only gets about 4inches and can change color! I thought that was pretty cool! They also have Clown's BUT they cant tell me what size I would get. They have some that are 6inch already... I am afraid if it comes that big it will be too big for this 14gal tank
HELP I need advice!!!

nwdyr

ok...... NOW I found that shipping is as much as the mantis!!!
they want 40.00 to ship a 29.00 shrimp! this sucks , found 2 I like at 2 Different places but both are high on shipping...hmmm....any ideas?? help! I just refuse to pay 70-80.00 for a mantis!

stdreb27

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/3225749
ok...... NOW I found that shipping is as much as the mantis!!!
they want 40.00 to ship a 29.00 shrimp! this sucks , found 2 I like at 2 Different places but both are high on shipping...hmmm....any ideas?? help! I just refuse to pay 70-80.00 for a mantis!
I know where their is a couple in the DFW area...
If were to get a mantis, what I'd do is hit up your local reef club. (can we call that LRC?) And wait for a hitchhiker... I'd also bet most LFS's worth their salt could get their hands on one, and sell it to you...

florida joe

Also how do I add the sand in a way that it dont cause a total sand storm? I have that bubble coral in there now and dont want it to get covered in sand.
take a piece of PVC pipe longer then the depth of your water place it over where you want the sand and pore the sand slowly into the PVC

nwdyr

both good ideas! thanks guys , I did call a LFS today and I am going to check in with them on Friday when they get their LR shipment. I did not think of the reef clubs , I will try that tomorrow.... the search continues

nwdyr

well this is the most uneventful thread I have ever started!!! lol....no mantis in a "mantis tank"...big party goin on here

halamaya

atleast your taking your time to find what you really want. No impulse buys are a god thing. Soon we'll see your ne Mantis, I hope.