Marijuana

aquaknight

There is a big difference between alcohol and pot IMO. I drink alcohol frequently because I ENJOY the stuff, the taste, etc. I don't drink to get 'drunk.'
How about why people actual (recreationally) use pot? To escape your current live? Wow, how about getting a live and you'll see you don't need something to enhance life.

mie

People have many reasons for self medicating. I think it is unfair to say get a life. For the ones that sit at home and smoke ALL DAY or drink from 1000 am till the wee hours, even the ones who have to smoke a bowl before going back to work after lunch, one word.
LOSER!!!

shogun323

Due to my own personal past battle with drugs and the seeing the effects on the lives of my once close circle of friends, I am against legalization of pot or any other drug.
I have 2 friends dead from overdosing. 2 that have been in rehab and are now nuttier than a squirrel turd. A few with prison time. One federal
My once best friend struggles to pay rent, yet always has a quarter of the dankest nugs on him. I also have quite a few friends that can not hold an intelligent conversation for the life of them.
We all started out as a group just gettin high..... then came the LSD, XTC, Ruffies..... Some friends then chose the route of crack and meth.
I am now well, drug free and the officer of a corporation but have anxiety issues which is a common side effect for chronic pot smokers.
All in all, I don't look down on those who smoke pot, as many have mentioned there are many medicinal benefits for pot. In fact, hemp makes the strongest rope!!! I just know from my personal experiences, that although many can smoke it socially it truly can be a gateway drug for others.
I must say if it was legal it would help the service industry as all restrant sales would be up!!!!!!!

aquaknight

I would be behind a large research program to see these positive medical effects. Perhaps then it could be given a broader legalization for doctors to prescribe. I have a feeling a lot of these 'self-medicating' simply use as an excuse to use it after they spent about 5 mins on google. In a case like Tobin's, he should have access to a legal source.
It's just that those that "Get high and then go see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" or whatever seems so dumb and absoluetly pointless to me.

darthtang aw

I put no for one reason. This is a drug that impair the abilities of people that inhale it. I don't have to smoke pot myself, but I can possibly get a contact high hanging out with someone that does, drive home, get pulled over and get a dui and never actually intentionally smoked pot.
This is the problem I see with it. Other than that, I don't care, you want to smoke some weed and get dumb that is your business not mine.

reefer545

Dark Knight. You are IMO very uneducated in the WHOLE issue of Marijuana. The impairment of Marijuana is a fraction of teh mpairment of alcohol. tests show that people who drink two drinks drive a LOT worse than those who take two "puffs" of pot. To the people out there who barely pay rent, but always have a bag: Look at teh bums and "crazys" of our nation. Their number one fix: alcohol. At least the pot smoker still makes his rent. How many people on these boards barely make rent due to coral, fish, having to purchase water? Is that to say that coral is just as addictive as pot or booze?
Contact high? Do you realize how much smoke must be present for a contact high to have merit? I don't believe you do, or you would not have made that point.

reefer545

May I also remind everyone that Marijuana is one of those plants our nation is quite frankly based on? George W, Ben Franklin, even Abe Lincoln all smoked, grew, sold, and used marijuana REGULARLY. Maybe it took people who could think outside the box to start this great nation. Whether or not marijuana allowed them to think outside the box is not my point. Just a reminder.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by REEFER545
Dark Knight. You are IMO very uneducated in the WHOLE issue of Marijuana. The impairment of Marijuana is a fraction of teh mpairment of alcohol. tests show that people who drink two drinks drive a LOT worse than those who take two "puffs" of pot. To the people out there who barely pay rent, but always have a bag: Look at teh bums and "crazys" of our nation. Their number one fix: alcohol. At least the pot smoker still makes his rent. How many people on these boards barely make rent due to coral, fish, having to purchase water? Is that to say that coral is just as addictive as pot or booze?
Contact high? Do you realize how much smoke must be present for a contact high to have merit? I don't believe you do, or you would not have made that point.

See this is where you have it wrong, two puffs is more akin to two swallows of alcohol, not two drinks.
And as far as contact high, yes, with the limits of allowable blood content so low to be charged with dui, yes a "contact" high would show up. Also factor in some jobs do drug testing and ANY amount of drugs in your system is reason for termination. As I said I don't see any other reason to NOT legalize it personally, but as with tobacco smokers, pot smokers need to take into consideration of those around them more so than anyone else, as your "recreational habit" affects myself as well as you.
As for the contact high, I know this from experience. I have a friend who received a dui on his way home from a party. He didn't drink nor did he ever use drugs he was our sober cab . But a lot of people there were smoking weed. He got pulled over after taking us home and we had to go pick him up from jail in the morning. Don't tell me it can't and doesn't happen, because it DID!
And who is darkknight? Do I look like Batman to you?
and to call me uneducated on something is hilarious, if I don't know about something I won't talk about it. Trust me, I know more about drugs than you due to EXPERIENCE (1000 dollar a week drug habit at one point). That is not something I am proud of, but it has shown me the downside and upside to the argument first hand.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by REEFER545
May I also remind everyone that Marijuana is one of those plants our nation is quite frankly based on? George W, Ben Franklin, even Abe Lincoln all smoked, grew, sold, and used marijuana REGULARLY. Maybe it took people who could think outside the box to start this great nation. Whether or not marijuana allowed them to think outside the box is not my point. Just a reminder.
And Drs. of the same time period prescribed arsenic and leeches... maybe Drs. of the 21st century need to "think outside the box" too

ric maniac

I think it should be legal, It isn't really that bad. I know kids who come to school high and they are some of the funnier and kinder people at my school
I agree with jenny that marijuana doesn't make people violent like alcohol, yet it is still illegal. As stated before it is a gateway drug to crack, meth and other stuff but, they are gonna do that anyway... right? The only effects of it are you think everything is funny, everything is louder, and everything goes by slowly. once you are high you usually don't smoke more until you are sober again. But, alcohol makes you anger easily, it makes you unable to drive and you want to keep drinking after you are wasted.

clown boy

GOOD NIGHT what is this world coming to??? People arguing on the side of marijuana publicly???
(sorry, but I am genuinely shocked...)

dragonzim

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
And Drs. of the same time period prescribed arsenic and leeches... maybe Drs. of the 21st century need to "think outside the box" too

Many doctors prescribe leaches again these days as well. Leeches and sterile maggots are used quite frequently as remedies for specific things.

shogun323

Originally Posted by ric maniac
As stated before it is a gateway drug to crack, meth and other stuff but, they are gonna do that anyway... right?
I don't buy into that. I personally dont believe that Amy Winehouse woke up one day, strapped a belt on her arm and shot up. I would like to see the stats on hard drug users and whether or not they first started smoking pot.
Originally Posted by ric maniac

The only effects of it are you think everything is funny, everything is louder, and everything goes by slowly. once you are high you usually don't smoke more until you are sober again. But, alcohol makes you anger easily, it makes you unable to drive and you want to keep drinking after you are wasted.
My friend, these views you state as if they are fact, are reminiscent of a high schoolers first time experience getting stoned. There is a bit more to it.
In regards to not smoking until you are sober that couldn't be further from the truth (with the exception of the recreational pot smoker) at least in my experience.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
And who is darkknight? Do I look like Batman to you?
I think he sort of combined us with that one lol...
Reefer, I'm well aware of all the drawbacks alcohol. What does comparing alcohol and pot do? IMO, legalizing it for general population does nothing but open another window for DUI's, violence, etc. Like I mentioned before, I am behind some type of research program to find what, if any, the real
(not whatever's linked on a bunch of marjiuana sites) benefits are and open opportunities to get it to those that need it, if so. Not to clowns like those from Grandma's Boy.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by theappe3
My argument would be that if herb is legal in other places why cant it be legal in the states....

It is legal to kill your children and wife in other places also if you feel you have been dishonored by them. Should we have that law here also?
That argument is dumb, sorry.

oniel21

ric maniac said:
The only effects of it are you think everything is funny, everything is louder, and everything goes by slowly. once you are high you usually don't smoke more until you are sober again.
These may be true for some, but not for others. Through my experience it really has different effects on different people. I think the BIGGEST effect it has on most is that it maks them tired and LAZY.
Have any of you stepped aside and thought of the young kids that get on this board and what kind of message we are delivering to them????

rudedog40

Now this is my kind of thread!! Something I can relate to! I have seen firsthand the effects of many of the 'party' drugs that are so popularized today. Back in the 70's, I was an occasional 'smoker', but a constant drinker. If I could go back, I'd probably switch the two. After smoking one joint, I could have the same 'buzz' as I would get on a six pack of beer. However, I was more alert and didn't have the side effects of alcohol (hangover, nausea). Addictive? It's been over 30 years since I touched the stuff, and never touched another drug before or after it. There's no such thing as getting a 'second-hand high'. Believe me, I can remember going to a Led Zepplin or KISS concert, and when the lights went down -- "Don't bogart that joint, pass it over my waaay..." As far as medicinal purposes -- studies have clearly shown that marijuana has shown great strides in relieving the side effects of chemotherapy, and other dibilitating diseases. HBO had a documentary on a few months ago that talked about this very subject. They showed both sides of the controversy - from the DEA agents finding a massive field of pot (and destroying it
), to several individuals who used it on a daily basis to relieve their chronic pains. We have a controversy here in Texas on this very subject. The State Legislature just passed a law stating that county officials could start writing misdemeanor citations when catching individuals with small amounts of mariquana in their possession. Some counties are complying with this order, but some (like Bexar County where I live) still arrest anyone caught with the drug. Bottom line - I can state from personal experience that mariquana is not addictive, and has no lasting side effects. BTW, the best way to detect mariquana in your system is through the hair follicles. All forms of THC are detectible in hair for more than 3 months I believe.

rudedog40

oniel21 said:
ric maniac said:
The only effects of it are you think everything is funny, everything is louder, and everything goes by slowly. once you are high you usually don't smoke more until you are sober again.
These may be true for some, but not for others. Through my experience it really has different effects on different people. I think the BIGGEST effect it has on most is that it maks them tired and LAZY.
Have any of you stepped aside and thought of the young kids that get on this board and what kind of message we are delivering to them????

Come on. The kind of message you're delivering to kids?
Today's kids know more about drugs, $ex, and alcohol than most adults on this board. If anything, you're providing them relavent information on the subject. Believe me, if they haven't already researched it on the web (and maybe tried to find where you can get it), they probably can talk to a multitude of kids in their schools about it.