Marine ich

big loo

Hello Everyone, I am new to saltwater aquariums and new to this site as well. I've been a freshwater hobbyist for a while now, as I've got several tanks going, and surely had my fair share of run ins with ich! I recently started a saltwater aquarium, the first was a 12 gallon nanocube, I did that to familiarize myself with that aspect of the hobby. I now have a Red Sea Max 250 which has been up and running for 3 weeks now (after the cycling process of course), and already my fishes seem to have been infected with marine ich! I see my blue-green chromis rubbing on the live rocks, as well the cleaner wrasses. I still haven't seen any white spots so my question is should I treat the whole tank? I have quite a few fishes in there, and I'm sure I'm gonna have to remove all the live rocks in order to get all of them! Which is why I wanted to know if it's ok to treat the tank with ick-attack? In freshwater I would usually medicate the whole tank, but I know it's not the same with saltwater! Any advice?

jay0705

Are all the fish sick? Do u qt ur fish? The short answer to treating the display is no generally. Ich however is visible on fish generally. If you don't see white spots it could be normal behavior. Do u have any cleaner shrimp? They can help remove sum parasites, as well as dead skin on fish

big loo

Only a few fishes seem to be scratching themselves on the rocks.. I did have cleaner shrimps until yesterday when I discovered both of them stuck in my wavemaker! But I will be getting a couple more this week! And unfortunately no I didn't quarantine my fishes as I do not have a qt tank set up yet... But will be doing so by tomorrow! I was just hoping that I could treat the whole display tank before it got too bad!

geridoc

Treating your display for ich with any of the effective cures will also kill all of the invertebrates in the system, and depending on what treatment you choose, may render the tank unusable for housing a reef display in the future.

grant778

If there are NO inverts remaining in your system, I would just treat the ich in the big tank with a hypo treatment so that you don't ruin the tank with copper medication. If I was in your shoes and still had inverts in the tank, I would take any remaining inverts out to your hospital tank, then do a hypo treatment on your main tank so as not to ruin with copper based medication.

grant778

I would definitely not treat the display tank with copper based medication because copper is deadly to corals and inverts and will linger. If you go with treatment with a copper medication you must use a quarantine tank to do so (assuming you want to keep corals and or inverts in your display tank).

jay0705

Agreed.depending how long ur display has been running. Use water from it to fill or partially fill your qt. This helps w a cycle spike. Then treat your fish accordingly. Also use a bare bottom qt. It makes using meds easier to get the dose correct

big loo

Thank you all for your advice. My display tank is a FOWLR, I have no reefs or corals as I know that I am not ready for that level of the hobby yet, although I wouldn't want to do anything that would hinder my chances of getting them in the future! So quarantine it is! Again, Thanks to all of you!

big loo

Hello everyone, today while checking my system I noticed that the protien skimmer was not working. I removed it and found that the pump was not working at all! I have no idea how long it's been like this, I check it every week, so worst case scenario it's been a week! My question is, how long can I safely go without a protien skimmer? Also, I really hate the skimmer that originally comes with the Red Sea Max 250... Does anyone know if I can replace it, if so, with which skimmer? Again, thank you guys for all the help and advice!

big loo

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start a new thread within the existing one, I just wasn't sure how to start a new thread outside of the previous one! Again, I apologize.

big loo

Thanks Jay, since I'm new to saltwater I tend to get a little nervous when something goes wrong and I don't have the answer!

big loo

Yeah Jay, but whatever I get I gotta make sure it'll fit in the compartment of the Red Sea max! That's the problem, as expensive as this system is they could've used a better protein skimmer!

beaslbob

Quote:Originally Posted by Big Loo http:///t/397012/marine-ich#post_3537704
Hello everyone, today while checking my system I noticed that the protien skimmer was not working. I removed it and found that the pump was not working at all! I have no idea how long it's been like this, I check it every week, so worst case scenario it's been a week! My question is, how long can I safely go without a protien skimmer?
Also, I really hate the skimmer that originally comes with the Red Sea Max 250... Does anyone know if I can replace it, if so, with which skimmer? Again, thank you guys for all the help and advice!

To answer your question directly----forever.
Many people run tanks with no protien skimmer at all.
I do recommend macro algaes in a refugium tho.
my .02

big loo

Yeah I just learned that, and I do wish I had the room for a refugium or even a separate sump, but these Red Sea max tanks are this Amal-in-one tanks, and although it does have its advantages it also has it's disadvantages! Especially for those of us who are new to the hobby!

beaslbob

Quote:Originally Posted by Big Loo http:///t/397012/marine-ich#post_3537733
Yeah I just learned that, and I do wish I had the room for a refugium or even a separate sump, but these Red Sea max tanks are this Amal-in-one tanks, and although it does have its advantages it also has it's disadvantages! Especially for those of us who are new to the hobby!

refugiums do not have to be a seperate container. You could simply partition the tank so a small area (in the back?) grows macro algaes and the rest (in front) has the fish and corals.
also some macros do just fine and look nice with some fish. But a lot of fish especially the larger ones and most crabs to like macros for dinner. LOL
my .02

jay0705

Idk the exact way the tank is set up,but if u have top room they make hang on refugiums as well. Just an idea